Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#218775 - 03/11/11 05:50 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: Pete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Pete
But still enough time for the sirens to trigger, and also emergency messages to go out over the radio. Did that happen effectively?

Pete, you might be interested in this AP clip by an AP correspondent if you haven't seen it already. Although I have worked in Japan, I didn't realize that they have an earthquake early warning system so maybe it's new. The correspondent mentions that just before the shaking started, there was actually a warning on TV. But that was Tokyo. I doubt that the people in Sendai had any lead time at all from that same system. I forget if it was the P wave or the S wave of an earthquake that travels faster than the other. Anyway, the farther away you are form the epicenter, the more lead time.

Actually, I raised the topic of an earthquake early warning gadget a while ago on ETS, and most folks seemed to think it was ridiculous and wondered why anyone would buy one. Seemed to make perfect sense to me. In many earthquakes, even if you're awake, it often takes a while for someone to realize, "OK, yeah, this is an earthquake." If someone could potentially be saved from injury or death because they responded just a few seconds sooner--getting under a desk, getting away a heavy bookcase, etc.--then that seems totally worth it to me.

#218778 - 03/11/11 06:33 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: stevenpd]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

Article on the NY Times website which points out Japan's strict building codes saved a large number of lives. Also mentions that if a EQ of this size had hit another country that was not as well prepared, the death toll and damage would of been much more severe.

From seawalls that line stretches of Japan’s coastline, to skyscrapers that sway to absorb earthquakes, to building codes that are among the world’s most rigorous, no country may be better prepared to withstand earthquakes than Japan.

Had any other populous country suffered the 8.9 magnitude earthquake that shook Japan on Friday, tens of thousands of people might already be counted among the dead. So far, Japan’s death toll is in the hundreds, although it is certain to rise.

John Lubbock

#218780 - 03/11/11 06:53 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

... Japan's strict building codes saved a large number of lives

japan had a 7. something earthquake on wed and there was little to no damage. not sure where but a testiment to those builing codes.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218782 - 03/11/11 07:19 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: stevenpd]
Pete Offline
Veteran

This particular video shows the multiple tsunami waves rolling into the coast of Japan. This is exactly what Arney was talking about. You can see that the coastline is already partially flooded, so these were not the first waves. But more than likely they pushed the water further inland.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...ches-shore.html

It does show that there is some warning time available - though not much.

NOTE TO GOOGLE and YAHOO: Do you guys realize how mercenary and cold-blooded you come across, when you post auto adds and phone adds in front of video's showing people getting killed by earthquakes?

NOTE TO JAPANESE TV REPORTERS: it is possible to land your helicopters and save a few peoples' lives. You don't need to spend all day getting video footage from the air.

regards,
other Pete

Edited by Pete (03/11/11 07:21 PM)

#218787 - 03/11/11 08:36 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: Pete]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

"None of the locals who live here are taking the tsunami risk seriously... Our local media are doing their normal fear mongering... they cannot comprehend why nobody is listening to them. ...I expect no damage of any kind from the wave."

How odd! Earthquake prediction is practically non-existent, but tsunami prediction is exact? Since WHEN?

Quite a few people have been killed by tsunamis because they decided to stand on the shore to watch them come in (despite warnings), or they saw the first few low waves and figured there weren't going to be any big ones, so they went closer (despite warnings).

Some people are simply too stupid to live.

And those who choose to believe some self-anointed 'expert', who goes around all puffed up saying, "I expect no damage of any kind from the wave" aren't very bright, either.

Sue

#218789 - 03/11/11 08:48 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: Pete]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
Out here in Los Angeles things are calm. None of the locals who live here are taking the tsunami risk seriously. Just another day in California. My guess is that maybe we might see a 2-foot wave. It could be actually visible this morning, but only because the sea is very calm and flat on Friday morning.

Our local media are doing their normal fear mongering. "Hidden danger in the water!!!". This actually works against them, and they cannot comprehend why nobody is listening to them. The California surfers have blown off the media entirely. Those guys are out on their surfboards in the ocean. A few foreign tourists are a bit freaked out, but the locals here are just heading off to work. The beaches are closed as a precaution, but I expect no damage of any kind from the wave.

Perhaps this person should have taken things seriously:

Man Swept Away by Tsunami

And a fair amount of damage: "Damage estimates in Crescent City were in the millions, and more boats and docks were hit in Santa Cruz on California's central coast."

Pete

#218790 - 03/11/11 09:14 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: stevenpd]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

the LA County lifegaurds were wise to keep the beaches open? i live in an area relatively free of natural disasters, and i never was very good at physics, so maybe i am more sensative to these things than people who live with them regularly, but i just can't fathom how anyone can call it fear monguring when the powers that be alert people to an incoming tsunami. it simply makes no sense to me to be so complacent about it.

there's been a huge earthquake and tsunami, and the entire ring of fire is shaking. it doesn't sound like an over-reaction to me. it seems prudent. i think i'd save the "duh!" reaction for hindsight, if the worst does happen and some dumba$$, who was sure the alerts were an overblown, gets caught in it.

#218791 - 03/11/11 09:16 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: stevenpd]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

the LA County lifegaurds were wise to keep the beaches open? i live in an area relatively free of natural disasters, and i never was very good at physics, so maybe i am more sensative to these things than people who live with them regularly, but i just can't fathom how anyone can call it fear monguring when the powers that be alert people to an incoming tsunami. it simply makes no sense to me to be so complacent about it.

there's been a huge earthquake and tsunami, and the entire ring of fire is shaking. it doesn't sound like an over-reaction to me. it seems prudent. i think i'd save the "duh!" reaction for hindsight, if the worst does happen and some dumba$$, who was sure the alerts were an overblown, gets caught in it.

#218792 - 03/11/11 09:23 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: stevenpd]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sue, sometimes i have to shake my head and double-check which site i'm on. we are still about being prepared and AVOIDING disaster, right? it blows my mind that someone on this site, of all places, would voice dissent over warnings about an ACTUAL DISASTER IN PROGRESS. Knowledge is power, but i guess getting swept up in a tsunami is more fun!

#218793 - 03/11/11 09:29 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: stevenpd]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Reports in of extensive damage to the Port of Brookings on the OR Coast. One person apparently found dead in a boat in the harbor though it's undetermined if its related to the tsunami.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw..._brookings.html

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.