The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#218797 - 03/11/11 10:12 PM Re: Gun safe? [Re: ducktapeguy]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Great info ducktapeguy! Thanks! Another useful document on my survival flash memory card.

#218803 - 03/11/11 11:45 PM Re: Gun safe? [Re: ducktapeguy]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
We're getting off track. Discussions of safes with one million combinations is off-topic. The original poster has a requirement of quick access. A safe that meets the original requirements is not going to be high security. However, if someone can provide a link to such a safe, then please do.

If you don't want to go electric, then a Simplex lock is the way to go. I'll trade a little security for more reliability of Simplex locks. Inexpensive electronic locks just don't meet my standard for reliability.

If you still want to go electric, the Gunvault may meet the original criteria. However, I have experienced failures with this safe and have read numerous stories of Gunvaults failing (Google "Gunvault failure"). Do you want a safe that won't open if you fail to maintain it perfectly? Do you want a fun gadget that's less reliable than a Simplex? If yes and yes, then the Gunvault will be fine.

The wall safe linked above appears to be for mounting permanently in a wall and has limited mounting capabilities. I wouldn't want to go that direction for a small, quick access safe that I'll want to move around.

#218823 - 03/12/11 07:34 AM Re: Gun safe? [Re: ireckon]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: ireckon
We're getting off track. Discussions of safes with one million combinations is off-topic. The original poster has a requirement of quick access. A safe that meets the original requirements is not going to be high security. However, if someone can provide a link to such a safe, then please do.

The topic was to recommend a handgun safe for the OP. Without knowing his specific needs, it's not possible to say whether or not it meets his requirements. And quick access does not necessarily exclude the possibility of millions of combinations.

If you don't want to go electric, then a Simplex lock is the way to go. I'll trade a little security for more reliability of Simplex locks. Inexpensive electronic locks just don't meet my standard for reliability. For me, less reliability is a deal breaker.

If that suits your needs, that's fine. However, I did not see non-electronic lock as one of the original criteria. I did not even see key-less as a requirement. Other people may have different needs and may not want to make the same trade offs. Also, I did not see inexpensive as one of the criteria, but it's probably a reasonable assumption. The topic of mechanical vs. electronic reliability is another interesting debate, but I won't get into it here.

If you still want to go electric, the Gunvault may meet the original criteria. However, I have experienced failures with this safe and have read numerous stories of Gunvaults failing (Google search). Do you want to be unsure your safe won't open if you fail to maintain it perfectly? Do want a safe that's really no more secure than a Simplex, but that lacks reliability?

Yes, the gun vaults have had some reliability issues, I don't disagree. But I would not go as far to say the locks are no more secure than a Simplex, it depends on what you're definition of secure is I guess. Each is suited for a different purpose.

The wall safe linked above appears to be for mounting permanently in a wall and has limited mounting capabilities. I wouldn't want to go that direction for a small, quick access safe that I'll want to move around.

Again, nowhere did I see a requirement to move the safe around. The OP mentioned wanting something concealable, and a wall safe could fit that criteria. If he were to ask for a small, inexpensive, non-electronic safe that can be moved around to keep the gun away from his kids, then I probably would have recommended the same two handgun safes that you posted.

And in response to your original post before you edited. All I've done was provide information that is readily available online and based on personal experience. You can choose to believe it or not, it has no effect on me. As far as I'm concerned there's no reason to clutter up this thread even more, so there's no need to discuss it further.

#271332 - 08/18/14 07:20 PM Re: Gun safe? [Re: gulliamo]
GunGirlBB Offline
Stranger

This looked spammy to me and the poster didn't respond to a PM, so into the bin it goes.

chaosmagnet

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/28/14 02:07 PM)
Edit Reason: spam

#271747 - 09/22/14 05:14 PM Re: Gun safe? [Re: gulliamo]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I have Vline gear and like it. No fiddly electronics, no beeps. Very clean construction.

#271751 - 09/22/14 10:25 PM Re: Gun safe? [Re: MartinFocazio]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have the same safe as the V-Line, although mine is labeled "Canon". Bought it a good 20 years or more ago.

Be sure an change the default combination on it - they all come with the same combination from the factory (at least they did, 20 years ago). And this default combination is the same default combination you find on many pushbutton locks (I've found it on door locks too). It's like the different lock manufacturers got together and came up with a "standard combo" that would be as unsecure out of the box as possible. However, once you set the combo to something else of your choosing, these are good little gun safes to keep kids out. Wouldn't stop an adult burglar for more than a few seconds though, even if bolted down.

#271776 - 09/23/14 11:16 PM Re: Gun safe? [Re: gulliamo]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I have a Vline box and a generic simplex box (which is better than my Vline).

Last night, I had an intruder scare at my house. While half asleep, I was able to slip out of bed and open my generic simplex box in a total time of less than 5 seconds I'd say. This is a simplex box I don't use often. It just sits under my bed out of sight, out of mind. I love how boringly reliable a simplex box is.

By the way, it wasn't an intruder. It was a family member who decided to use a door that had never been used before at 2 am. The person was also trying to get upstairs as quickly as possible for whatever reason. I was well-prepared before the person got upstairs. So, it was a good simulation. No shots were fired. cool

#271793 - 09/24/14 02:02 PM Re: Gun safe? [Re: gulliamo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Good job for identifying your target before bad things happened, ireckon!

#271800 - 09/24/14 04:42 PM Re: Gun safe? [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Just remember that these boxes are for keeping small children from getting their hands on a firearm. A keyed deadbolt on a closet door will do just as well for that purpose, better actually. But if you want your firearms close at hand, these boxes are more convenient to set on your bed's headboard than a closet would be.

But they are not to secure your firearms from theft. They wouldn't stop anybody there.

The electronic ones do not provide any more security. They provide a more expensive, more complex, and more failure prone interface to the same internal cheap locks as the basic non-electronic models. But they are advertised as "easier and faster to use". You decide on that claim...

#271803 - 09/24/14 06:11 PM Re: Gun safe? [Re: gulliamo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The only way that combination locks are improved by making them digital is "intruder lockout" where after "x" number of incorrect entries the system is locked for "y" time. I'm not impressed with consumer-grade biometrics. Simplex and Sargent & Greenleaf are the way to go.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.