Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#218644 - 03/09/11 11:56 AM Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
my favorite has been a timex expedition with digital compass. the only thing i didn't like about it was the light. it lit up only the numbers, not the entire watch face. the strap just broke after about 5 years and i'm on a mission to find a new strap.

http://www.google.ca/m/imgres?q=timex+expedition&start=26&site=images&imgid=ANd9GcS7z9Vto8FZdyrUSJ7J3dWg_VBwXODlrQcGVPLabwBBssN_JvUUgr0TsQ0&imgsz=31241&imgurl=http://bgwatches.co.uk/images/5006024135f.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bgwatches.co.uk/-p-449&ht=360&wd=450&tbnh=102&tbnw=127&ei=Znl3TbjGGoKuNqjkvOYD&ved=0CCIQ9QEwDDgO

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218707 - 03/10/11 06:09 PM Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? [Re: dweste]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
As you can tell by now, best is usually undefinable. We can only tell what works for us and what does not.

In my case I have two watches, a Wenger (I think the Battalion Diver) in Ti that works very well and is reasonably rugged. It is very light and works well when I am having trouble with my wrist. I also have a Seiko Automatic (also a divers watch -- they are certainly NOT dead or just for show, I dive with mine computer or no but then I carry lots of backups for anything as important as dive time). It is a brick but has lasted better than any watch I have ever had. I have had very poor luck with the many watches (particularly multifunction ones) because I beat them pretty hard, both physically and electrically (I am around lots of powerful electrical devices often).

I prefer the Suunto M-9 for a wrist compass, because like you I like the "side window". The Clipper is good, but I think the M-9 is MUCH better if you are really using it.

As for bands, this is an area where the "does not" is important. The band MUST contain the watch even if a pin is lost. Unfortunately, that does not include my favorite link bands. Maybe someday I will find one that has a strap under the watch. The simplest is just a nylon band with velcro or rings. I much prefer both or some other double locking mechanism. You can go up from there, my favorite was one I bought in New Zeland that had individual loops for the pins and a snap cover. Several are around with velcro covers, but then you make a lot of noise every time you want to look at your watch.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (03/10/11 06:10 PM)

#218747 - 03/11/11 12:47 PM Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? [Re: JerryFountain]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Take a look at "The Band". It goes over one pin, under the watch, then over the other pin. The entire piece is velcro so it velcros under the watch as well as completely around your wrist. Unless you bust both pins, it is not going anywhere.

Bill

#218937 - 03/13/11 12:01 PM Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? [Re: hikermor]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Dive watches became functionally obsolete with the development of the dive computer. Most of them now smell suspiciously of bling....
I have a Casio SPF 70 which had a depth gauge. The manual said not to rely on it for real diving, and the feature was worthless to me. I quickly came to hate that watch.

I now wear a PRO-1500, which was at the top of Casio's range when I bought it. I've had it for a few years now and I'm very pleased. It has altimeter, barometer and compass, solar powered and atomic signal update. It also shows phases of the moon and tides. I like gadgets. The strap is some kind of plastic, which I prefer over titanium.

The main thing it's lacking that I'd want, is sunrise and sunset times. (I do have a phone app for that, but I trust my watch more than my phone.)

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The compass works nicely as a backup which I have rarely used - it is still nice to have, at virtually no cost in bulk and weight.
I think watches with digital compasses tend to be physically larger. Mine could be too big for some wrists. However, I agree it's good to have on you as a backup. I have also used it for trivial navigation, to help me orient myself in unfamiliar surroundings. Mainly in towns, where knowing the four compass points is enough precision.

#218983 - 03/13/11 06:12 PM Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? [Re: dweste]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The nice thing about a good Casio is that you can get good quality in a disposable watch. Yeah, I said disposable. Some folks who pay $1,000 or more for a "rugged" watch like to brag about how they need get it tuned up regular for hundreds of dollars. For guys like me, a good Casio is inexpensive enough such you can throw it away if something breaks on it years down the road. I figure I got my due wear out of a watch if I paid about $200 and it lasted for 3+ years. However, the main reason for replacing my everyday Casio is usually boredom.

I admit that I'm kind of a watch snob in the sense that I have a strong preference for quality watches that are relatively inexpensive.

#220067 - 03/23/11 11:33 AM Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? [Re: ireckon]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I looked at all kinds of watch band compasses; most were suspect for diving and too small for me to read easily in dim light [underwater, deep forest, night]. Because I will be kayaking, doing some free diving, and other watersports, I decided to try wearing a dive compass.

Now wearing a Storm wrist compass; annoying small bubble inside - guess I will always be able to tell which way is up!

It is bulkier than ideal and the luminosity of the card is not very strong; so eventually it will be replaced to improve on those features. But on sale, in hand, and ready to play.

I can already tell I will need a different strap. My intent is to wear the compass on top of my wrist so I can sight through the side window for direction [as well as look down onto the compass face] and to wear the watch under my wrist - but the strap that came with the compass forces the buckle under the wrist. Maybe if I can find an affordable dive watch it will came with a more suitable strap. [Maybe not.]

#220205 - 03/24/11 06:32 PM Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? [Re: dweste]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Seems like I've owned various digital watches and compasses over the years, and very few are truly rugged. They all seem to bomb out ... when they've gone thru' rough-and-tough handling. OK, I can understand that a compass is a sensitive instrument. But somebody out there must design something that is industrial strength, isn't too bulky, and doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg. I'm still looking for nirvanna. :-)

Pete #2

#220215 - 03/24/11 10:26 PM Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? [Re: williamlatham]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: williamlatham
My setup, a Pulsar divers watch (with solar face), re-mounted on "The Band" (available at REI and probably others) velcro based watch band, with a Suunto clipper compass clipped to the band.

The Suunto Clipper is great little compass. I carry one too. But keep in mind that if you happen to drop it, all the parts of the compass might fall away and you may lose the part with the actual compass. When mine once fell and hit the hard ground it "disintegrated". All the parts fell away. This was in a store so I was able to quickly find them, pick them up and assemble the compass again.

#220373 - 03/28/11 12:33 PM Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? [Re: raptor]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I have had that happen too. The bezel can pop out if you hit it just right. Easy to put back together though.

Bill

#220406 - 03/28/11 08:18 PM Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Taken to school again: I have been wearing my new dive compass to get used to its functions, and was worried that it had a small bubble of air, worried again that the bubble was growing in size, and worried a third time that "north" was whatever direction I happened to be driving. Of course, I then realized the air bubble was useful in literally telling which way was up [not always obvious underwater], the bubble size changed with barometric pressure, as the storms moved through, and the compass was attracted to the engine of the vehicle.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 266 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.