The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#218564 - 03/07/11 07:34 PM Urbane Preparedness
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Okay, you have your basics covered: if push come to shove, yours will be one of the longest, most successful urban survival stories ever told.

But what about style? What about those things that make life worthwhile? What about those things, quirky though they may be, that bring a smile to your face?

Cone on, spill, what is in your stash that you know would make the others jealous if only the dumb #@! had thought to search them out and put them is their kit?

Edited by dweste (03/07/11 07:35 PM)

#218567 - 03/07/11 07:50 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I keep a flask of 130 proof bourbon in my bug-out bag. I figure, if things get sh*tty, I might want a good stiff drink at the end of the day. grin

It's also somewhat practical though...as liquor with that high of proof can be used for fire starting and as an antiseptic. It makes for a wonderful ingredient in sauces as well. smile

#218568 - 03/07/11 07:57 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
my son and i both have a star wars lightsaber lipbalm on our lanyards. they are little working, one LED, flashlights, with a clear tube of lip balm screwed on. no simple squeeze lights, they've got an on/off switch, battery, and even come with a little carabiner.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218570 - 03/07/11 08:06 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: dweste
Okay, you have your basics covered: if push come to shove, yours will be one of the longest, most successful urban survival stories ever told.

But what about style? What about those things that make life worthwhile?

Are you asking about one's will to survive? After all, if we were to give two people the same equipment, one with a strong will to survive, the other without, only one will come out alive. If that is what you are asking, my sisters are the ones who will keep me fighting.

Jeanette Isabelle

#218573 - 03/07/11 09:29 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hmm, checking my list: candlelight, corkscrew, crackling fire, acoustic guitar, smoked oysters, fondue a la pantry, soft jazz via solar panels ... yes, <ahem>, I believe something memorable could be arranged.

#218576 - 03/07/11 10:57 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I've got my wine, my corkscrew, and my unbreakable clear plastic stemware. If I can't find my corkscrew, I'm prepared for sabrage. :-> (Well, it's a machete, but same thing only different.)

#218617 - 03/08/11 11:55 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That I'll still be grinning and thinking "wow, I'm glad I'm a country boy"?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#218653 - 03/09/11 03:14 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Pete Offline
Veteran

dweste ... excellent point and thanks for the reminder. Sometimes we get so focused on the essentials - that we forget that survival is mostly about "mental attitude". Having something in our kit that cheers us up can do a world of good.

The "cheering up" factor is even more important if you've got team members, or your own family, in a survival situation. Your comment jogged my brain, and I realized that I need to put a few goodies for my kids into our family survival gear. It really helps kids attitude if they can hold a small toy, or eat a familiar snack, under difficult circumstances.

If I'm working with a team in rough country, I try to always have a few chocolate chip cookies (or chocolate chip granola bars) stashed in my pack somewhere. A cup of hot tea and a chocolate chip cookie can cheer up the whole world!

cheers,
other Pete

Edited by Pete (03/09/11 03:15 PM)

#218655 - 03/09/11 04:58 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Pete]
LED Offline
Veteran

Always have some coffee, creamer, and delicious LU brand tea biscuits in stock. Pretty close to bliss if you ask me. Oh, and spanish olives.

#218659 - 03/09/11 05:34 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
an approaching CAT 3 hurricane causes both anxiety and anticipation... hurry up and get it over!!!...so after transferring the non frozen perishables to the iced down 5day ice chest, I try not to open up the refrigerator any more than necessary... a local Italian sub shop remains open as long as safety allows, to cater to the emergency workers and old timers that know about it... a couple of Italian subs, one for the light and wind show (I set the folding chair and watch the best show in town) and one for the following day is kind of a ritual...

#218664 - 03/09/11 07:37 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Carpal Tunnel

Perhaps I am confused on the point of this thread. Are we talking about items in our EDC and survival stash or is this something much broader?

Last year when we had the blizzard and lost power, our house became a house of refuge because we had a fireplace and fire wood. We also had candles, an oil lamp and flashlights. Most of us slept in the living room and for fun, my youngest sister Ellie and our friend Michelle were coming up with names for campfire songs.

This year when we were snowed in, as in the roads were not safe, we had power but no coffee. After several days I needed coffee.

Jeanette Isabelle

#218666 - 03/09/11 07:59 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Jelly bellies and chocolate. With enough of both, I could conquer the known world.

#218667 - 03/09/11 08:12 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

A tin of fois gras and a jar of caramelised onion relish, with some high quality crackers. That my friends is what will let me pour scorn on the tuna pouches I see stashed so often :-)

#218670 - 03/09/11 10:13 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Perhaps I am confused on the point of this thread. Are we talking about items in our EDC and survival stash or is this something much broader?
Jeanette Isabelle

Life being what you make it, one of my survival categories for EDC, BOB, and whatever other kits is "morale."

#218672 - 03/10/11 12:17 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LED Offline
Veteran

This year when we were snowed in, as in the roads were not safe, we had power but no coffee. After several days I needed coffee.

Jeanette Isabelle

Not even black tea?? For several days?? eek Oh the horror, the horror.

#218678 - 03/10/11 01:40 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Carpal Tunnel

Life being what you make it, one of my survival categories for EDC, BOB, and whatever other kits is "morale."

They would be my sisters, Brittany and Ellie. After Dad died, my sisters and I had each other. That was it. Without them, what's the point?

On cold days, or days I am stressed, I need coffee.

Music.

Writing instruments (wordprocessor or a pen and notebook).

We had a local deli I could go to unwind when I was emotional. We don't have a place like that currently. There are other places where I feel comfortable such as Lion's Park, the local Dairy Queen and Poseys 'N' Partys Florist (no affiliation).

Jeanette Isabelle

#218689 - 03/10/11 05:23 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kippered snacks (an acquired taste), (if I still drank) old single-malt scotch straight-up, European dark chocolates. Quinine water for sipping on a hot muggy day, a good straw hat, old jeans. Coffee, black, hot, and strong.

Uncle Bill's silver grippers, nothing better for removing splinters, thorns, and fine work. Simple, functional beauty at a reasonable price.

For years SEALs made Butt Balm a mission critical item. Nothing I know of works better for keeping crotch corrosion and chafe away in and out of salt water, and when washing is simply not an option. Keep some handy and you will be walking normally when everyone else is walking like they just got off a horse.

Jamaican Inner Beauty hot sauce. Hot as napalm. Tasty enough to make eating a boot enjoyable. Haven't seen a bottle in years. Makes Tabasco taste like stump water.

A fine fountain pen and quality rag-cotton writing paper. Given the right writing tools a sociopath can compose romantic poetry.

#218690 - 03/10/11 06:17 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

They would be my sisters, Brittany and Ellie.
Jeanette Isabelle

Makes me think a nice group picture, perhaps with contact information on the reverse, laminated or otherwise protected, could enhance a kit - and perhaps be a welcome gift.

Edited by dweste (03/10/11 06:17 AM)

#218691 - 03/10/11 06:22 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
... Uncle Bill's silver grippers, nothing better for removing splinters, thorns, and fine work. Simple, functional beauty at a reasonable price.

Would this be the item?:

http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Bills-19074-Gripper-Tweezers/dp/B002LVUWK4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Edited by dweste (03/10/11 06:29 AM)

#218692 - 03/10/11 06:28 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

... Jamaican Inner Beauty hot sauce. Hot as napalm. Tasty enough to make eating a boot enjoyable. Haven't seen a bottle in years. Makes Tabasco taste like stump water.

Perhaps a worthy re-creation?:

http://www.hotsauce.com/Rasta-Fire-Hot-Sauce-p/1255.htm

#218734 - 03/11/11 03:48 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Would this be the item?:

Yep, that's the item. Tiny little things. A bit less than 2" long and the stainless steel strap material is 3/8" wide. They usually come with a little clip that allows you to keep the gripper reliably on a key chain, or, using a screw, to mount the holder in a tool box or first-aid kit. A needle, strong light, magnifier, and a Silver Gripper make a well equipped splinter removal kit.

My advice is to buy them two at a time because you save a little money and at least one is going to get lost, or grow legs. I've never seen one worn out, but they do tend to wander.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Sliver-Gripper-Precision-Tweezers/dp/B003Q1EGUA/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

I've no affiliation with Uncle Bill's or Amazon. I just know a simple and effective tool when I use one.

#218736 - 03/11/11 03:54 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

... Jamaican Inner Beauty hot sauce. Hot as napalm. Tasty enough to make eating a boot enjoyable. Haven't seen a bottle in years. Makes Tabasco taste like stump water.

Perhaps a worthy re-creation?:

http://www.hotsauce.com/Rasta-Fire-Hot-Sauce-p/1255.htm

Never had that one. Hard to give advice on hot sauces because taste is subjective.

#218981 - 03/13/11 06:05 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Before blizzards I used to get in a load of food; then feet up ( in slippers) drinking hot coco and listening to the radio...best way to spend a day off.

#218994 - 03/13/11 07:04 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
This has to be by person.

For my daughter - hot chocolate and BIG marshmallows, her music and her "blue puppy"

For my son - Scooby Do Fruit Snacks, Gluten Free Corn Chips, and his iPod

For the wife - a good book, some candles, probably some hot chocolate too and maybe some wine (or rum for the hot chocolate?)

For me - books, Makers Mark or Templeton Rye, enough batteries to keep my iPhone charged and playing music so I can spend the time dancing with the kids or my wife.

- Eric

#219002 - 03/13/11 08:13 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

good list Eric!

i always have something with me to amuse and comfort my 7 year old, but as i was watching my son, daughter and hubby all playing their handheld games last night, and the two older ones with their iphones, i thought it would be wise add a way to charge them to our family bob.

my 7 year old is easy to amuse, the 20 year old, not so much.

#219013 - 03/13/11 09:25 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
iphones, i thought it would be wise add a way to charge them to our family bob.

I take this very seriously, more for communications than for entertainment. Each car has a 12 volt iPhone charger and a battery jumpstarter with a 12 volt outlet. Even a small 12 volt jumpstarter will recharge an iPhone several times, probably at least ten times. Each BOB has a USB/solar battery that can charge an iPhone fully at least once, and finally there's a 2xAA iPhone charger with AA batteries available.

Other than the 2xAA and 12v iPhone chargers these are all multi-use items.

#219024 - 03/13/11 10:59 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: chaosmagnet]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Here is my solution for travel/emergency power for my small electronics.

I have adapter tips for my phone and some other devices so all I need is a healthy stock of AA batteries. The same company also makes USB plugs for their adapter tips so I can power up from anything with a USB outlet (computer, car adapter, wall wart).

I'm sure it isn't the most efficient but AA batteries are very common and I can usually get 2-3 full charges out of a lithium set.

- Eric

#219059 - 03/14/11 04:55 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

I'm more inclined toward useful and comfort than I am elegance, but I once had to open my car kit while stopped far behind a multi-car accident on a cold day. I pulled out some instant cocoa, two cups, an old silver Goodwill spoon, and my small stove, and made some cocoa to go with some shortbread cookies.

My friend was shielding the stove from the wind, and said in a surprised tone, "OH, you brought the good silver!"

Sue

#219061 - 03/14/11 06:03 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Eric]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Eric
Here is my solution for travel/emergency power for my small electronics.

I have adapter tips for my phone and some other devices so all I need is a healthy stock of AA batteries. The same company also makes USB plugs for their adapter tips so I can power up from anything with a USB outlet (computer, car adapter, wall wart).

I looked at that, but realized that it uses a proprietary connector, so it quickly got pretty expensive for what it does. In my GHB I have the Duracell version that has a standard mini-USB jack and comes with both a mini-USB plug and iPod/iPhone dock connector, costs about $5 with batteries. Works well, and doesn't mind that I use Energizer Lithiums instead of Duracells. smirk

I just ordered one of these for $3.39 (damn, price went down 9¢) for my EDC, we'll see how it works.

#219066 - 03/14/11 11:06 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Mark_M]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

I'll admit the custom connector was a concern, but back when I bought it there were no reliable alternatives that supported my iPod, work phone, personal phone, and PDA. If I was buying again I might go a different way.

-Eric

#219067 - 03/14/11 11:32 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Susan]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
I'm more inclined toward useful and comfort than I am elegance, but .... Sue

Vive la elegance! [Or something like that.]

#219151 - 03/14/11 11:06 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: LED]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: LED
Always have some coffee, creamer, and delicious LU brand tea biscuits in stock. Pretty close to bliss if you ask me. Oh, and spanish olives.

The coffee is an absolute necessity!!!

#219154 - 03/14/11 11:31 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: gonewiththewind]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero

It is amazing what coffee can do in a situation.

Jeanette Isabelle

#219210 - 03/15/11 07:42 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Montanero

It is amazing what coffee can do in a situation.

Jeanette Isabelle

You know, there have been times when even the worst truckstop sludge has brought a smile to my face. smile Nowadays I always have a couple of packs of instant, creamer, and sugar in my day bag. And a pack of Jolt or Stayalert gum as backup of course.

#219214 - 03/15/11 10:05 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: LED]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Coffee drinking barbarians! A nice cup of tea will sooth the soul and calm the mind.

Actually, it probably helps to simply cup the hands around a warm container. I'll bet warm water would work just as well as either tea or coffee in double blind tests. Well, maybe the caffeine does help.....

#219216 - 03/15/11 11:43 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Give me caffine.
or give me death!

#219218 - 03/15/11 11:51 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My friend was shielding the stove from the wind, and said in a surprised tone, "OH, you brought the good silver!"
Sue

LOVE IT! Sometimes the smallest of details can make a big difference in our mindset.

#219220 - 03/15/11 11:56 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

thank you my fellow caffine addicts, for the reminder to re-stock my pack with instant cappicino, vanilla flavour this time. mmmMMM! Hot, sweet, caffinated liquid.

#219254 - 03/15/11 03:11 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
juhirvon Offline

40ft sailboat (living in it already)

About 3-4 kilograms of spices (whole black peppers, dried chili peppers, nutmeg nuts, cloves, cinnamon, fennel, aniseed), and dried herbs (basil, thyme, dill, oregano, powdered ginger, powdered garlic, pretty potent curry powder). Probably left out half the stuff but can't be bothered to go rummage through.

A handful of pens and pencils plus a sketch pad (I draw, a lot). Maybe some water colours.

A few small and pretty light weight marionettes (Once there's kids around, I can become the first post-holocaust birthday clown).

And for ultimate in style if not practicalness, a bright red unicycle with flame patterns on the rims.

#219257 - 03/15/11 03:57 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Give me caffine.
or give me death!

I'm so glad I quit caffeinating and smocking - less gear and supplies to store and carry. More space for ammo reloading supplies instead. I think, that was the best thing I've done for preparedness.

#219303 - 03/15/11 08:35 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Coffee drinking barbarians! A nice cup of tea will sooth the soul and calm the mind.

Actually, it probably helps to simply cup the hands around a warm container. I'll bet warm water would work just as well as either tea or coffee in double blind tests. Well, maybe the caffeine does help.....

I sometimes have a cup of green tea before bed; on a cold or stressful day, coffee is the best thing to have. It's decaffeinated, of course, due to my anxiety.

Jeanette Isabelle

#220382 - 03/28/11 03:02 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
If anyone's looking for an easy way to keep some instant coffee on hand, you could try Starbucks' Via travel mug. It stores 6 packs of their Via instant coffee in the base of the mug; its actually a pretty slick system.

I got one for Christmas and I have been using it for camping since it's an easy way to keep coffee on hand for when you're ready for that second or third cup.

#220395 - 03/28/11 05:40 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Denis

Starbucks' Via travel mug... stores 6 packs of their Via instant coffee in the base of the mug; its actually a pretty slick system.

It looks pretty convenient, and the coffee is yummy. I'd use it for a corporate event but I'm leary about taking it outdoors. I wonder about durability and breakability. how's it holding up?

#220397 - 03/28/11 05:57 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm more inclined toward useful and comfort than I am elegance...

Me too Sue! At a recent Scout leader camp, one of the other gearhead Scouters pulled out his fancy new, high tech mess kit. Someone commented on it so he pointed out all the newer, more expensive betterness about it. As he did, I pulled out the old pie plate I've been using for chow for 30 years. He laughed and suggested that trade up and move into the new millenium. I just smiled and said "mine's cheaper, the high sides make it multi-functional AND chef gave me twice as much chow because my plate is bigger than yours." wink

#220401 - 03/28/11 06:42 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

> I just smiled and said "mine's cheaper, the high sides to make it multi-functional AND chef gave me twice as much chow because my plate is bigger than yours."

That raised a grin! grin grin grin

Sue

#220402 - 03/28/11 07:15 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

#220403 - 03/28/11 07:23 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

> That raised a grin! smile smile smile <

Sue, a girl has to take advantage of every chance she gets to tell a guy "Mine's bigger than yours!" wink

#220405 - 03/28/11 08:03 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

I'd use it for a corporate event but I'm leary about taking it outdoors. I wonder about durability and breakability. how's it holding up?

I've only had it out a couple times so far but I haven't had any durability issues with it. It really only gets used when hanging around the campsite while having breakfast; so far something which doesn't appear to be too taxing on it.

Of course, now that this has been said, it will surely be destroyed on my next trip smile.

#220407 - 03/28/11 08:21 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Knock on wood!!!

I LOVE my Starbucks travel mugs. I've got a few of an older series that never leak and seem indestructable. These ones just don't seem as tough. I am a klutz with klutz-prone kids so I have to consider these things. wink

#220409 - 03/28/11 08:39 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

I LOVE my Starbucks travel mugs. I've got a few of an older series that never leak and seem indestructable. These ones just don't seem as tough.

I have a couple of the stainless steel Starbucks mugs and this Via one is definitely not as solid. I'd guess it's only the plastic outer body that holds the Via packets that is at risk of breaking though; the inner sleeve is still stainless steel.

Also, it doesn't hold quite as much coffee as the other Starbucks mugs I have nor does it keep the coffee warm for as long (I just noticed the site I linked to says its not insulated, which makes sense).

#220412 - 03/28/11 09:46 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A few days ago I was fiddling around with the computer and a I notice that a fingernail was rough and had a hangnail, I reflexively grabbed a nail clipper and had the nail and hangnail sorted out in a few seconds. No scissors or knife will do the job as well. No great revelation but it reminded me that these little fingernail clippers, that go for about $2, are mighty handy. I don't carry one, I try to keep my key-chain compact, but have them scattered around everywhere. I have two on my desk, one in my truck change tray, one in each of my survival kits. I even have a couple still in their packaging in my cabinet. A remnant of a year ago when I lost my last two and in a fit bought a half-dozen in one go. I subsequently found at least one I lost.

Nothing better for flush-cutting hangnails that always fester, sting, and threaten to get infected in survival situations. Great for trimming rough spots on fingernails that threaten to rip into the quick. Works well cutting thread, fishing line and light line. When I was messing around with electronics I often used a pair to flush-cut wires after making repairs. I've used a pair as tweezers to pull out thorns and splinters.

The ones I like best are good quality, heavily chromed to resist rust, and made by "Trim". They sell at most department stores.

#220427 - 03/28/11 11:20 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Art - different strokes for different folks. Hangnails duties are detailed to the scissors on my SAK Classic, an integral EDC item on my keyring. My nail clippers are rusting away in my medicine cabinet.

#220433 - 03/28/11 11:39 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Art - different strokes for different folks. Hangnails duties are detailed to the scissors on my SAK Classic, an integral EDC item on my keyring. My nail clippers are rusting away in my medicine cabinet.

When I was young, I used to ride a triceratops, and I used scissors on hangnails. Problem I found is it is hard to get flush cut with scissors. Which means that the flag of skin is still out there to snag on stuff and getting dirt underneath it.

Try the nail clippers. I think you will find it is easier to flush-cut the skin flag. Once you do I suspect you will give up the scissors.

In a pinch I can still use scissors or even a very sharp blade and whittle down through the skin flag. I've also whittled finger nails but clippers are faster and easier.

#220448 - 03/29/11 12:48 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One roughly cut or torn hangnail that gets infected is a quick endorsement for using nailclippers. Thanks for the reminder Art! I just added one to each of my kits. Cheap, small, light and invaluable!

#220480 - 03/29/11 01:16 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
At one time, nail clippers where almost standard carry items for Drill Instructors. Not for our benefit but for snipping loose threads off soldiers before inspections.

#220507 - 03/29/11 05:52 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

When I was young, I used to ride a triceratops,

I suppose a triceratops would work OK in Florida with your warmer climate. I started out riding pygmy mammoths as a youth and then switched to the full size Columbian mammoth when I got my unrestricted license. They were more dependable in cold weather, and I appreciate their greater cargo capacity, with their large trunk.....

See you later, alligator...

#220592 - 03/30/11 09:10 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

After a while, crocodile.

#220596 - 03/30/11 10:19 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Being young I was easily seduced by the acceleration and cornering of the triceratops, but you're right they are impractical; they don't start worth a damn in cold weather and, even back then, it was nearly impossible to get parts. They haven't made part for them in ages.

#220605 - 03/31/11 02:13 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The parts are out there but you really have to dig for them. Over time, operations have been scaled back; it is basically a skeleton crew operation.

#220763 - 04/02/11 02:48 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
When I was young, I used to ride a triceratops, and I used scissors on hangnails. Problem I found is it is hard to get flush cut with scissors.
It depends on the scissors. I found the moderate-sized ones on my LM Juice are too large. My Vic Rambler SAK has a smaller pair which work very well for nails and hangnails.

(The Rambler is roughly the same size and weight as nail clippers, but the scissors are more versatile, and it also has a small knife, flat and Philips screwdrivers, bottle opener, tweezers, tooth pick, magnet and nail file.)

#220771 - 04/02/11 05:07 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Are nail clippers still on the TSA no-no list, right up there with ice axes, meat cleavers and hockey sticks?

Sue

#220779 - 04/02/11 09:40 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Susan]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Are nail clippers still on the TSA no-no list, right up there with ice axes, meat cleavers and hockey sticks?

Yes. Don't forget shampoo. With less than three ounces of shampoo, you're a fine, upstanding American. With six ounces, you're obviously planning to wash hair in a manner that supports terrorism.

#221513 - 04/14/11 12:16 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
A few days ago I was fiddling around with the computer and a I notice that a fingernail was rough and had a hangnail, I reflexively grabbed a nail clipper and had the nail and hangnail sorted out in a few seconds. No scissors or knife will do the job as well. No great revelation but it reminded me that these little fingernail clippers, that go for about $2, are mighty handy. I don't carry one, I try to keep my key-chain compact, but have them scattered around everywhere. I have two on my desk, one in my truck change tray, one in each of my survival kits. I even have a couple still in their packaging in my cabinet. A remnant of a year ago when I lost my last two and in a fit bought a half-dozen in one go. I subsequently found at least one I lost.

Nothing better for flush-cutting hangnails that always fester, sting, and threaten to get infected in survival situations. Great for trimming rough spots on fingernails that threaten to rip into the quick. Works well cutting thread, fishing line and light line. When I was messing around with electronics I often used a pair to flush-cut wires after making repairs. I've used a pair as tweezers to pull out thorns and splinters.

The ones I like best are good quality, heavily chromed to resist rust, and made by "Trim". They sell at most department stores.

I consider nail clippers an excellent item for your kit, so I really appreciate these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JTP...HEDHV6ZWV6VQ2SS

http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-Folding...3645&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-Henckels-...3645&sr=8-5

All compact, all good to have.

#221525 - 04/14/11 04:24 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Those look sweet there Basecamp.

A bit pricey for my taste but very nice if you have that sort of change rattling around your pocket. The $9 units might wander to the checkout line with me if I was feeling extravagant.

#221550 - 04/14/11 03:55 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Those look sweet there Basecamp.

... The $9 units might wander to the checkout line with me if I was feeling extravagant.

The Tweezerman and the Inox are the easiest to use (the Zwilling "lever" and cutting "jaw" are a two-piece set-up, whereas it is a single piece on the others...they disengage in use), the Inox and the Zwilling" are the sturdiest and will probably outlast the Tweezerman.

They take up very little space in an Altoids tin sized kit.

#224369 - 05/26/11 01:39 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Basecamp]
Carpal Tunnel

I cannot attest to this model but Tweezerman makes the best nail clippers I have tried.

Jeanette Isabelle

#224376 - 05/26/11 04:34 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: chaosmagnet]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Yes. Don't forget shampoo. With less than three ounces of shampoo, you're a fine, upstanding American. With six ounces, you're obviously planning to wash hair in a manner that supports terrorism.

This reminds me, I have a picture of me holding an M4 rifle and M9 pistol, with my tray table and seat backs in their upright and locked position.

Apparently commercial liners don't have "rifle rack" options for their military charters.

#224391 - 05/26/11 10:37 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Protocols can be strange. I remember one report where troops were required to go through the metal detectors, their firearms were passed around the detector but allowed on board, and, oddest of all, all their knives were confiscated, locked in a box, and transported as baggage in the belly of the airplane.

#224426 - 05/27/11 07:01 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: NightHiker]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: NightHiker

and THAT reminds me of an absurd incident I was subjected to way back before 9/11 made air travel problematic

I once turned up on the airport with my carry-on luggage being a small daypack that contained two things:
1) A gallon of very high proof alcholol. (Let's just say there was a lot of Kalman filters that needed cleaning that semester).
2) A 5" Mora knife (the wood handled Mora Classic).

After X-ray, no one cared about the contents of my one gallon canister - but the knife was not allowed on board. Even pre-9/11 you were not allowed to carry a 5" fixed blade knife on board. The easiest solution suggested by the clerk was just to "tag" the bag and put it in the cargo with my checked in luggage. Which wasn't such a good idea, since the canister cap was not sealing properly. You don't get very popular spilling alcohol all over everyone else's luggage. I had to keep the can upright, which meant it must go with me as carry-on luggage. I suddenly realized that I did NOT want to explain in detail exactly WHY I had such a grudge against putting my daypack in the cargo hold. After all, highly flammable liquids are not that popular among airline crews...

The problem was solved by putting the Mora knife in a cardboard box labelled "extremely dangerous items - not carry on luggage". This did not hold up very well to the rigors of checked in luggage - at conveyer belt at the other airport, there was the sorry remains of a squashed cardboard box lying beside a Mora knife... It takes a bit more than overworked, underpaid luggage throwers to destroy a Mora.

In memory of better days, where you could find solution oriented airport security personnel...

Edited by MostlyHarmless (05/27/11 07:03 AM)

#225691 - 06/10/11 10:55 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My bodum travel mug (blue), small tin of flavored gourmet coffee grinds, and a newly purchased bottle of kaluha, stored iin a SS flask! (Thanks for the idea Paul!)

[url=]Bodum Travel Mug[/url]

#225692 - 06/10/11 10:56 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My bodum travel mug (blue), vaccuum pack of coffee gourmet grinds (in a ziplock bag) and a newly purchased bottle of kaluha, stored iin a SS flask! (Thanks for the idea Paul!)

[url=]Bodum Travel Mug[/url]

#239134 - 01/12/12 03:04 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Carpal Tunnel

I have been contemplating including a stove of some sort so I can make coffee. In a stressful situation, things I would need would be candle light, coffee, notebook and pen for writing, and a radio.

Jeanette Isabelle

#239141 - 01/12/12 01:59 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

There ae many light, compact stoves out there and they can be critical in a tough situation, but their highest and best use is that all important nice cup of tea...

#239146 - 01/12/12 04:00 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
For some of us, morning coffee is definately a "survival" item. You would not want to be around me in the morning when I haven't had my coffee. mad

For years when camping I managed with a MSR white gas stove, a small filter cone, and some ground coffee. Then I discovered the Jetboil SOL and Starbucks VIA. Life is good! smile

(I still keep the MSR handy, since it works better in the cold, which has been known to happen around these parts.)

#239163 - 01/12/12 07:16 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: NightHiker]
Carpal Tunnel

I have been contemplating including a stove of some sort so I can make coffee. In a stressful situation, things I would need would be candle light, coffee, notebook and pen for writing, and a radio.

Those are ALL great things to make sure you have in a kit.

I am the best person to answer the question of what I need in such a situation but suggestions don't hurt.

Jeanette Isabelle

#239165 - 01/12/12 07:43 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: NightHiker]
Carpal Tunnel

confused umm...yeah...ok... Indeed, you are the best person to figure out what you want in your kit. I was simply commenting that I think all of the items you listed are great things for everybody to have. Maybe my use of all caps created some confusion, I certainly didn't intend to come across as telling you what you need or want - I'm sorry if that was the case.

I believe I am the one who is unclear. We agree I am the best person to make the final decision on what I NEED. However, there is always that possibility there is something I am overlooking. That is where the suggestions come in.

Jeanette Isabelle

#239169 - 01/12/12 08:20 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California

Jeanette Isabelle

A small stove and a medium saucepan is one of the "essential" luxuries. Being able to have coffee and a hot breakfast in the morning, and a hot dinner and chamomile tea in the evening does wonders for your morale. It also allows you to pack more dried goods (instant rice, pasta, couscous, etc) since you can now cook.

I've got an old Camping Gaz burner nested in a 2 qt saucepan, instant cofee, and about 5 days worth of fuel in my kit. If you want to go super cheap and light, an Esbit stove ($10-$15) will heat up water. Going up the cost scale are the Wal-Mart propane stoves ($15-$30), basic backpacking stove ($30-$70), and the ultimate is a multi-fuel backpacking stove that will handle gasoline, diesel, kerosene, and the usual stove fuels ($100+)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#239170 - 01/12/12 08:46 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

In many situations, a stove/campfire can be critical to survival, not just a nice feature.

Also add to your spectrum of stoves - alcohol stoves - free for the making (various models) yo about $35.

You can spend as much or as little as you wish....

#239172 - 01/12/12 09:26 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The ability to just boil water goes a long ways. A lot of good stoves out there can't simmer well, but they are awesome at full power and can boil water. With boiling water I can make tea, coffee (a thermometer so you can use the water at 200°F also helps the brew), hot chocolate, Ramon, Lipton Cup-a-Soup, et al.

For the purpose of boiling water I have an old tea kettle and a Pocket Rocket with fuel canisters in my truck. That said, most any good stove will do.

#239178 - 01/12/12 10:39 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
If nothing else, I sure do like the title of this thread. The French press is my pleasure item.

#239179 - 01/12/12 10:53 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Starbuck's Via instant coffee- Italian Roast.

#239229 - 01/13/12 06:24 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Carpal Tunnel

What stoves can and cannot be used indoors?

Jeanette Isabelle

#239231 - 01/13/12 06:49 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

in Europe they used Primus type kerosene stoves for many years.they did more than just cook but roasted coffee beans and that sort of stuff.kero is still used around the world for cooking and heat.venting of some sort is always a good idea and the quality of the burner running hot without fumes is a plus.
i would not use a white gas stove inside.someplace there is a chart with the stoves and the amount of carbon monoxide they put out,i'm sure one of the stove blogers will post it.

#239245 - 01/13/12 08:27 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
The co levels seem to depend more on the stove then the fuel. It may be a function of flame front temperature or burner efficiency, but I'm no chemist.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Monoxide.htm

If you want to be double safe, co detectors are pretty cheap (<$30). I've got a pair of Kidde detectors in my house. One next to the furnace, and the other next to the drier. Both are gas powered appliances, and potential sources of co poisoning.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#239255 - 01/13/12 11:25 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

One variable apparently is the height of the pot above the stove flame - too close and the flame is cooled, creating CO. A blue flame is good, a yellow flame (usually incomplete combustion) is not so good.

In practice, most people cook indoors when they must, but do only the minimum amount if they are cognizant of CO hazards. Never use the stove as a space heater. CO monitors are cheap.....

Edited by hikermor (01/14/12 01:21 AM)

#239258 - 01/14/12 12:32 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
IMHO, the best bet for cooking at home is a 2-burner Coleman or similar propane stove. You can find them for $10 at yard sales or around $30-40 new. I used one for almost a week when we lost power due to the Halloween snow storm. Cast iron frying pans work best, but regular cookware will also work. You will need a percolator to make fresh coffee, or settle for instant. Don't forget to keep a good supply of propane canisters, they fly off the shelves when the power goes out.

I noticed no issues with CO using the Coleman stove inside. I have CO detectors on each floor and neither made a peep.

#239261 - 01/14/12 01:15 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Mark_M]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Percolator for fresh coffee??? Nooooo wink a percolator boils the coffee.

Try a Melitta Manual Coffee Maker. Use any good kettle to bring the water up to 200°F (195-205°F) and just pour the water slowly over the coffee grounds sitting in the cone filter. It makes a very good cup of coffee; I use one daily with freshly ground beans.

A 5-inch stainless-steel stem thermometer is handy to get the water in that small range 'tween hot enough to get flavor out of the grounds and not so hot that the coffee turns acidic (195-205°F).

Given a loss of electricity, I'd bring the water up to the correct temp using one of my camp/hiking stoves (yes the Coleman two burner propane is a good choice) and otherwise make the same great cup of coffee I make daily with an electric stove-top.

(not affiliated with any brand named herein) smile

#239290 - 01/14/12 04:50 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Mark_M... don't know about your personal preference to the task, but the 1# bottles are pretty easy to refill from a 25# bulk tank...for a non power outage refill, if you place 1# bottles in the freezer for a couple of days, you can get a pretty decent fill with an inverted supply tank to get as much liquid as possible..

#239302 - 01/14/12 10:02 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

A simple adapter allows one to run a Coleman stove from a 25# tank, which will last a long time. The propane is also much cheaper when purchased in bulk.

#239308 - 01/14/12 01:27 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

IMO anyone with a Coleman two burner propane stove should get the attachments to use a 25# tank. That's a very nice emergency set-up for home.

#239364 - 01/15/12 11:35 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Russ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Russ said it. Here's another option. If you ever go to a restaruant equipment auction, salvage yard, etc, you can pick up the stainless steel 12 cup coffee filter holders for cheap. Same thing coffee shops and restaruants use to make their drip coffee. Anyway, they make great manual coffee makers and are nearly indestructable. Came up with the idea after I broke my Melitta manual coffee maker and didn't want to use plastic. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.bunncoffeemakerparts.com/bunn-parts-funnel-assy-sst-blk-hdl-7-62-20217-0000.html

#239421 - 01/16/12 09:49 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
One variable apparently is the height of the pot above the stove flame - too close and the flame is cooled, creating CO. A blue flame is good, a yellow flame (usually incomplete combustion) is not so good.

Spot on. I have a research report (in Norwegian) where CO production for different kind of stoves were tested with and without pots for snow melting. CO production when melting snow was sky high, but with HUGE variations from stove to stove. CO production without a pot was consistently much lower.

The consensus at a outdoors enthusiast I visit is that the distance from the flames to the cold pot is the most crucial factor in CO production. It makes sense, but I have to re-read the report to see if it actually says so, or if that's the conclusion people have drawn.

#290585 - 09/17/18 03:16 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Carpal Tunnel

But what about style? What about those things that make life worthwhile? What about those things, quirky though they may be, that bring a smile to your face?

Cone on, spill, what is in your stash that you know would make the others jealous if only the dumb #@! had thought to search them out and put them is their kit?

I would pack a journal, printed E-mail and everything that will tell my story. Even if my family or I do not survive, at the very least an archeologist will have fun trying to figure me out.

If at the time I can't afford a Macbook, I would at least buy an iPod so I can listen to some iTunes.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290597 - 09/18/18 04:03 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

re: coffee.. after Irma, my neighbors, after a quick survey of their yard, were discussing how to get a cup of coffee from their Keurig style machine, or to obtain hot water for their French press... I brought them over a small pot made on my drip Mr Coffee el-cheapo plastic machine with some peasant grade Folgers decaf, made by pouring hot water through the brew basket... it works well if you throw a couple of tea bags in the brew basket as well... I have ordered a better single burner propane GasOne stove, as the bottle top single burner was very unstable... a small 6"x6" single serving flat griddle is very handy for making hot sandwiches on a single burner

#290600 - 09/18/18 04:06 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: dweste]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Okay to excellent coffee is easily made using the Pour-over Method. I use a cheap Melitta glass carafe and plastic filter holder. There are more expensive ones in ceramic or SS, but for this discussion what they’re made of doesn’t matter.

Do you have coffee? If it’s in the bean/unground form, can you grind it (without electricity)? I have a manual crank grinder; so yes, I can grind the beans.
Can you boil water? Yes, numerous stoves here will all boil water easily.

Let the water stop rolling in its attempt to become steam and it’s ready to pour over the coffee grounds. Ideally water should be close to 200ºF; above 195ºF to get flavor out of the coffee grounds, and below 205ºF or the coffee will become too acidic.

Pour the ~200ºF water over the coffee grounds evenly and coffee comes out the bottom — simple. I pour the water in stages so the grounds are used evenly. I’ve been making coffee this way since my last coffee maker heating element died and the coffee is better imo. I started with the carafe and filter holder from the unit that died, and then bought the significantly smaller Melitta unit.

Pour-over coffee video's on YouTube

#290601 - 09/18/18 04:37 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

How does the pour over technique compare with French press? Provided the water involved is properly heated, of course...

#290602 - 09/18/18 05:56 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Since it’s French it must be better wink The French Press is simply a plunger that pushes the grounds to the bottom of the carafe so you can pour off the coffee to drink. I used one for a while; besides the press allowing too many fine particles into my cup, it was a pain to clean. Unless you use a uniform coarse grind which the press can trap, you end up with a rather gritty cup from all the fine particles that get through a typical grinder. Then again, the French Press seems to be a popular way to make coffee, so I won’t say it’s bad. I’m probably misinformed and using it all wrong.

OTOH, there are folks who don’t like paper filter because they trap and remove coffee oils, which is mentioned in one of the YouTube video’s. That guy recommends a metal screen basket rather than a paper filter so the oils pass through. I have a pretty good metal replacement for #4 filters here someplace and I found it so much more convenient to simply toss a paper filter than to clean and dry a metal screen.

I didn’t stumble on the pour-over method to get a better cup, I did it to avoid having to buy a new coffee maker and liked it. Later I found out that many coffee aficionado’ prefer the pour-over technique. For me it’s primarily an expedient.

#290603 - 09/18/18 06:04 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Vive La France! I now do FP because I acquired a rig that included a FP with a thermos - handy when camping and also at home. I am happy with any coffee that contains caffeine, even VIA or other instants...

I'll bet "Greek Press" wouldn't sell as well (or Russian, Norwegian, etc.)

#290604 - 09/18/18 06:16 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Then there’s the Snow Peak Cafe Press Filter

Titanium is good because it won’t taint the flavor and it’s a tad lighter if you’re backpacking.

Edit: Available at REI — Snow Peak Titanium French Press at REI

Edited by Russ (09/18/18 06:43 PM)
Edit Reason: REI link

#290622 - 09/19/18 07:37 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I already EDC a handkerchief - adding a bow tie shouldn't be too much trouble

#291136 - 11/18/18 02:58 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

I would pack a journal, printed E-mail and everything that will tell my story. Even if my family or I do not survive, at the very least an archeologist will have fun trying to figure me out.

I'm still working on it. Currently, I have my story in two folders in the form of a copy of my friend's journal, printed E-mail, printed copies of drawings and a letter.

In a survival situation, the will to live can make the difference between life and death. I most likely will be surrounded by my family and hopefully some friends. Family or not, purpose goes a long way. Preserving our history is another. History is another way of saying, "We were here! Don't let our memory be erased! We mattered in the grand scheme of things."

Jeanette Isabelle

#291523 - 01/01/19 04:45 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I did more editing [revove threads from the e-mail conversations] and therefore can combine the contents of the two folders down to one. The dimensions are 11 5/8 x 9 5/16 x 5/16" and weighs 13 1/2 ounces.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (01/01/19 10:13 PM)

#291552 - 01/05/19 02:00 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I did more editing [revove threads from the e-mail conversations] and therefore can combine the contents of the two folders down to one. The dimensions are 11 5/8 x 9 5/16 x 5/16" and weighs 13 1/2 ounces.

My story, which ends when I'm twenty-three (2009), is down to sixty-four pages, not including the letter. The thickness of the folder is down to a 1/4" and weighs 12 ounces.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291710 - 01/27/19 12:45 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Carpal Tunnel

If I had the money, I would include a laptop to write. I'm back to doing a single-writer story that I can get excited about.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.