Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#239364 - 01/15/12 11:35 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Russ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Russ said it. Here's another option. If you ever go to a restaruant equipment auction, salvage yard, etc, you can pick up the stainless steel 12 cup coffee filter holders for cheap. Same thing coffee shops and restaruants use to make their drip coffee. Anyway, they make great manual coffee makers and are nearly indestructable. Came up with the idea after I broke my Melitta manual coffee maker and didn't want to use plastic. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.bunncoffeemakerparts.com/bunn-parts-funnel-assy-sst-blk-hdl-7-62-20217-0000.html

#239421 - 01/16/12 09:49 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: hikermor
One variable apparently is the height of the pot above the stove flame - too close and the flame is cooled, creating CO. A blue flame is good, a yellow flame (usually incomplete combustion) is not so good.

Spot on. I have a research report (in Norwegian) where CO production for different kind of stoves were tested with and without pots for snow melting. CO production when melting snow was sky high, but with HUGE variations from stove to stove. CO production without a pot was consistently much lower.

The consensus at a outdoors enthusiast I visit is that the distance from the flames to the cold pot is the most crucial factor in CO production. It makes sense, but I have to re-read the report to see if it actually says so, or if that's the conclusion people have drawn.

#290585 - 09/17/18 03:16 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: dweste
Okay, you have your basics covered: if push come to shove, yours will be one of the longest, most successful urban survival stories ever told.

But what about style? What about those things that make life worthwhile? What about those things, quirky though they may be, that bring a smile to your face?

Cone on, spill, what is in your stash that you know would make the others jealous if only the dumb #@! had thought to search them out and put them is their kit?

I would pack a journal, printed E-mail and everything that will tell my story. Even if my family or I do not survive, at the very least an archeologist will have fun trying to figure me out.

If at the time I can't afford a Macbook, I would at least buy an iPod so I can listen to some iTunes.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290597 - 09/18/18 04:03 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
re: coffee.. after Irma, my neighbors, after a quick survey of their yard, were discussing how to get a cup of coffee from their Keurig style machine, or to obtain hot water for their French press... I brought them over a small pot made on my drip Mr Coffee el-cheapo plastic machine with some peasant grade Folgers decaf, made by pouring hot water through the brew basket... it works well if you throw a couple of tea bags in the brew basket as well... I have ordered a better single burner propane GasOne stove, as the bottle top single burner was very unstable... a small 6"x6" single serving flat griddle is very handy for making hot sandwiches on a single burner

#290600 - 09/18/18 04:06 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: dweste]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay to excellent coffee is easily made using the Pour-over Method. I use a cheap Melitta glass carafe and plastic filter holder. There are more expensive ones in ceramic or SS, but for this discussion what they’re made of doesn’t matter.

Do you have coffee? If it’s in the bean/unground form, can you grind it (without electricity)? I have a manual crank grinder; so yes, I can grind the beans.
Can you boil water? Yes, numerous stoves here will all boil water easily.

Let the water stop rolling in its attempt to become steam and it’s ready to pour over the coffee grounds. Ideally water should be close to 200ºF; above 195ºF to get flavor out of the coffee grounds, and below 205ºF or the coffee will become too acidic.

Pour the ~200ºF water over the coffee grounds evenly and coffee comes out the bottom — simple. I pour the water in stages so the grounds are used evenly. I’ve been making coffee this way since my last coffee maker heating element died and the coffee is better imo. I started with the carafe and filter holder from the unit that died, and then bought the significantly smaller Melitta unit.

Pour-over coffee video's on YouTube

#290601 - 09/18/18 04:37 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
How does the pour over technique compare with French press? Provided the water involved is properly heated, of course...

#290602 - 09/18/18 05:56 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Since it’s French it must be better wink The French Press is simply a plunger that pushes the grounds to the bottom of the carafe so you can pour off the coffee to drink. I used one for a while; besides the press allowing too many fine particles into my cup, it was a pain to clean. Unless you use a uniform coarse grind which the press can trap, you end up with a rather gritty cup from all the fine particles that get through a typical grinder. Then again, the French Press seems to be a popular way to make coffee, so I won’t say it’s bad. I’m probably misinformed and using it all wrong.

OTOH, there are folks who don’t like paper filter because they trap and remove coffee oils, which is mentioned in one of the YouTube video’s. That guy recommends a metal screen basket rather than a paper filter so the oils pass through. I have a pretty good metal replacement for #4 filters here someplace and I found it so much more convenient to simply toss a paper filter than to clean and dry a metal screen.

I didn’t stumble on the pour-over method to get a better cup, I did it to avoid having to buy a new coffee maker and liked it. Later I found out that many coffee aficionado’ prefer the pour-over technique. For me it’s primarily an expedient.

#290603 - 09/18/18 06:04 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Vive La France! I now do FP because I acquired a rig that included a FP with a thermos - handy when camping and also at home. I am happy with any coffee that contains caffeine, even VIA or other instants...

I'll bet "Greek Press" wouldn't sell as well (or Russian, Norwegian, etc.)

#290604 - 09/18/18 06:16 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Then there’s the Snow Peak Cafe Press Filter

Titanium is good because it won’t taint the flavor and it’s a tad lighter if you’re backpacking.

Edit: Available at REI — Snow Peak Titanium French Press at REI

Edited by Russ (09/18/18 06:43 PM)
Edit Reason: REI link

#290622 - 09/19/18 07:37 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness - Coffee [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I already EDC a handkerchief - adding a bow tie shouldn't be too much trouble

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.