Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#218589 - 03/08/11 02:06 AM Re: New Zealand : 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch. [Re: sealander]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...your grandma is going to do far better with something she can sit on, and preferably not a portaloo 2 blocks down the street when she is in a hurry."

I don't know about toilet seats there, but many/most of them here are made from painted wood.

How about this suggestion:

Remove existing bathroom toilet seats and screw blocks to the underside (choose screw length carefully) that will coincide with the inside of a 20 L bucket or a wooden box lined with plastic bags.

Sue

#218591 - 03/08/11 02:56 AM Re: New Zealand : 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch. [Re: scrounger]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Okay, here's the straight _ _ _ _ on creative evacuation devices in NZ (it's from the Web, so it must be true):

http://www.showusyourlongdrop.co.nz/

#218594 - 03/08/11 11:30 AM Re: New Zealand : 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch. [Re: dougwalkabout]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Okay, here's the straight _ _ _ _ on creative evacuation devices in NZ (it's from the Web, so it must be true):

http://www.showusyourlongdrop.co.nz/

Thanks for the link. Those are funny and probably legit. I imagine peops are getting creative.

#218622 - 03/09/11 12:51 AM Re: New Zealand : 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch. [Re: Dagny]
sealander Offline
Stranger

Loc: New Zealand
The moment you have all been preparing for has arrived, folks - the world has run out of chemical toilets:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christch...hemical-toilets

#218623 - 03/09/11 01:00 AM Re: New Zealand : 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch. [Re: Susan]
sealander Offline
Stranger

We did use a plastic bag in the existing toilet, Susan. I really can't figure out how you'd fit a bucket in ours though. I've noted on trips to the US that American toilets seem to be somewhat larger than NZ toilets, and they use a lot more water.

People have come up with some great solutions involving cutting holes in old outdoor furniture, and there was one guy who kindly made a nice sort of rectangular wooden box arrangement with a hole in it for his neighbour, and then found himself in great demand to make them for everyone in the street. Instant business opportunity smile

I would have made some effort to come up with more of a long term solution if the mains water and sewage had been off for more than 5 days, but I have added a portable cardboard toilet to the emergency supplies for future events - these guys make them:
http://www.thebrowncorporation.com/

#218628 - 03/09/11 01:23 AM Re: New Zealand : 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch. [Re: sealander]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
We did use a plastic bag in the existing toilet, Susan. I really can't figure out how you'd fit a bucket in ours though. I've noted on trips to the US that American toilets seem to be somewhat larger than NZ toilets, and they use a lot more water.

People have come up with some great solutions involving cutting holes in old outdoor furniture, and there was one guy who kindly made a nice sort of rectangular wooden box arrangement with a hole in it for his neighbour, and then found himself in great demand to make them for everyone in the street. Instant business opportunity

I would have made some effort to come up with more of a long term solution if the mains water and sewage had been off for more than 5 days, but I have added a portable cardboard toilet to the emergency supplies for future events - these guys make them:
http://www.thebrowncorporation.com/

Interesting cardboard concept but I have visions of a heavier user falling into his or her own bog standard sh*t box when it gets a little damp. The results could be even more distressing for the user than even using the 'worst toilet in Scotland'. Yes there is a Youtube video!! sick

#218630 - 03/09/11 02:05 AM Re: New Zealand : 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch. [Re: scrounger]
sealander Offline
Stranger

I have been assured that the cardboard toilets have been tested with up to 120 kg (and no-one in my household weighs that much). You aren't supposed to get them wet, so it is something I would use indoors, then bury the results in the biodegradable bags that come with it.

#218634 - 03/09/11 02:59 AM Re: New Zealand : 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch. [Re: Dagny]
Pete Offline
Veteran

On a side note - I'd like to know more about the "worst toilet in Scotland". Where exactly is that YouTube video? Should I drink a lot of beer before watching it?

other Pete

#218785 - 03/11/11 08:08 PM Re: New Zealand : 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch. [Re: sealander]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"We did use a plastic bag in the existing toilet, Susan. I really can't figure out how you'd fit a bucket in ours though. I've noted on trips to the US that American toilets seem to be somewhat larger than NZ toilets..."

Well, I can't see any reason to put a bucket into a toilet...

1) Detach the toilet SEAT from the existing toilet and take it onto the porch.

2) Affix smallish blocks to the UNDERSIDE of that toilet seat that will keep the seat from sliding off the top of the bucket.

3) Set the detached toilet seat on top of the bucket and use.

Sue

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.