Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#218362 - 03/03/11 11:22 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Byrd..i like a fire myself but i also like hot,fast meals when i paddle into camp.

Et tu Brute?
Beware the ides stoves of March! wink

#218364 - 03/03/11 11:50 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Now, not that I'm trying to start trouble or something, but, have you considered the Svea 123? That would be the little stove that's smaller than a Nalgene in the below photo.

They're very simple: tank, burner, needle valve, pot support. Operates via thermal feed back. No pump. No moving parts other than the valve. Very reliable. Very packable. About the size of a mid size coffee can. This one was built in the 60's. A little battered but still runs great.

Click on this one and switch to full screen mode (F11 in Windows usually):

HJ

#218367 - 03/04/11 12:55 AM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have two Svea 123 stoves and a 123R still in the box. Very nice stove and easy to use.

That said, in an earlier post you made a good argument for the XGK. I passed on the XGK and purchased an MSR Dragonfly because of its ability to simmer; being able to simmer is good. However, the XGK would make a great stove for a car kit where all that's needed is to boil water for coffee, tea or a freeze dried dinner). Then when the time came that all I had for fuel was already mixed, 2-stroke chainsaw fuel, I'd have a stove that could actually burn it wink Any excuse will do . .

#218457 - 03/05/11 08:00 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
HJ,

Another great review, but now about my second love -- then my first! I started with a 123 and kept it in my day bag for many years. It served me well many times, some when I really needed it. It was suppimented (certainly not replaced) by an XGK with the yellow and black pump. The XGK also served me well throughout the world, mostly on white gas (in AK and the south 48) but lots of avgas and jet fuel (there and lots of other places around the world). It was a savior more than once. It died at the hands of an air freight shipment where they appear to have used the crate as a spear target for the forklift forks. I hope that my new XGK EX will be as good a stove. Unfortunately, the 123 was also lost in transit. I guess I should stay home more - my wife would sure like it!

Thanks again,

Jerry

#218471 - 03/06/11 01:02 AM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
the 123's and the R version are a real workhorse,you can boil and simmer and they always seem to work.the only drawback is the small pot/cover which i call a "mush on the mountain" cooker.

#218495 - 03/06/11 03:39 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: Russ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Then when the time came that all I had for fuel was already mixed, 2-stroke chainsaw fuel, I'd have a stove that could actually burn it wink Any excuse will do . .
The point being that the XGK will burn darned near anything and keep running. Not a bad stove to have in a tough spot.

HJ

#218497 - 03/06/11 03:45 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
HJ,

Another great review, but now about my second love -- then my first! I started with a 123 and kept it in my day bag for many years. It served me well many times, some when I really needed it. It was suppimented (certainly not replaced) by an XGK with the yellow and black pump. The XGK also served me well throughout the world, mostly on white gas (in AK and the south 48) but lots of avgas and jet fuel (there and lots of other places around the world). It was a savior more than once. It died at the hands of an air freight shipment where they appear to have used the crate as a spear target for the forklift forks. I hope that my new XGK EX will be as good a stove. Unfortunately, the 123 was also lost in transit. I guess I should stay home more - my wife would sure like it!

Thanks again,

Jerry
Jerry,

They still produce the Svea 123R to this day. The Svea 123R is the only stove from that era still produced today, a testimony to its design and continued popularity. The designers at AB Sievert in the 1950's really got it right with this one (the Svea 123). It's a small, compact package that puts out more heat than other stoves in it's class (Optimus 8R, Primus 71, Optimus 80, Optimus 99).

The Svea 123R's produced today are made in China. Supposedly they're not as good as the ones produced in Sweden. The original type 123's and Swedish made 123R's are pretty available on eBay.

HJ

#218499 - 03/06/11 03:47 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
the 123's and the R version are a real workhorse,you can boil and simmer and they always seem to work.the only drawback is the small pot/cover which i call a "mush on the mountain" cooker.
Yeah, the little aluminum "pot" (a cup, really) that comes with the 123 isn't all that useful. I leave it at home a lot. It does protect the burner if that's a concern, but for a pot, I bring something else.

HJ

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.