Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#218400 - 03/04/11 04:55 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: hikermor]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I used to wear an aluminum hard hat but they were replaced by nonconductive plastics because of electrical considerations. In an urban environment that would be an important consideration.

I am a strong believer in protecting the head, having treated way too many cases of cranial trauma, a fair percentage of which were instantly fatal, and several where head protection saved a life.

There are now various models of climbing and kayaking helmets that are protective and comfortable.

One thing I've seen lately that I'd like to pick up is a bump cap. Basically they're baseball style hats, but with a rigid plastic liner and some supportive foam. I'm sure it doesn't offer as much protection as a true hard-hat or climbing/bicycling/riot/whatever helmet, but it's better than nothing and it wont look so out of place in an urban environment.

#218406 - 03/04/11 06:45 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: Paul810]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
One thing I've seen lately that I'd like to pick up is a bump cap. Basically they're baseball style hats, but with a rigid plastic liner and some supportive foam.

Where do you stop though for an urban kit? A lot of high performance protective gear is available for what is really quite small sums of money. The following items could be useful for CBRN terrorist events and even civil disturbances as well as other more naturally based inflicted events such as an earthquake.

Full ballistic Kevlar Mk6A helmet for £80 ($120). The Mk6 is available for around £30 ($45)

http://andysmilitarysurplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=998

S-10 Gas mask for around £40 ($60)

MK4 NBC suit - £17 ($25)

etc etc..

Even carrying around this type of kit around in a vehicle could create suspicion by local police enforcement agencies or at internal security checkpoints run by the TSA for example.

#218409 - 03/04/11 09:24 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

It depends on how into it you can and want to get. Obviously, a full kevlar helmet, gas mask, and chem suit is going to offer the most protection for the widest range of situations. However, they might not be the best choice if you're trying to stay somewhat incognito.

I mean, I could throw that bump cap on to protect my head from rocks and debris, while still blending right in with a crowd trying to get away from a riot or terrorist attack or whatever. On the other hand, if I'm the only guy in the crowd with military surplus gear on, it might be cause for me to be singled out as an instigator or part of the terror plot. I might also end up having a problem with someone noticing what I'm wearing, and then deciding they need it more than I do.

For me, I figure it's best to have some level of protection while, at the same time, being able to blend in as much as possible. That allows me the most options for the widest range of situations.

I mean, I could take my bag and walk throughout most cities in the U.S. with it no problem. Only items that might cause a stir are the multi-tool, swiss army knife, and pliers/pry bar....which are fairly ubiquitous, but can be ditched if I need to get through a checkpoint. Otherwise, my kit is pretty similar to what was given to MTA workers after 9/11, just with higher quality components.

On the other hand, the military surplus items might cause some issues, and they're a bit bulkier/more difficult to carry, as well as more difficult to ditch.

#218417 - 03/05/11 12:35 AM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: bacpacjac]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I'd recommend adding Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose"

I might also suggest Just in Case by Harrison. It's a softer pitch than Lundin's work, but I think that also makes it more accessable for some, and it covers things like how to actually use that solar oven and how to sprout. A very good companion.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#218421 - 03/05/11 01:53 AM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: ironraven]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: ironraven
I might also suggest Just in Case by Harrison.

thanks for the tip ironraven. i haven't read that one. i'm adding it to the list!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218433 - 03/05/11 05:31 AM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
funny enough, with urban survival kits, I created a urban medical kit to supplement my usual FAK.

Its a couple of Nextcare waterproof bandaids, and then about 4-6 of the following items: pepcid, pepto, Tylenol, benadryl, immodium.

Amazingly I hand out a lot of pepcid.

#218484 - 03/06/11 12:21 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK

In the UK that's the arrestable offence of 'going equipped to steal'.
Though maybe getting arrested is a good move in a survival situation. Instantly the law men have to look after you?
If you do find yourself having to steal. Do so openly and leave a cheque or note of your details (written out in advance).
qjs

bacpacjac wrote
>i recently read an article on urban survival kits in "The >Backwoodsman Magazine" that advocates for no less than 3 >seperate lock-picking kits.

#218485 - 03/06/11 12:44 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: quick_joey_small]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
i'm with you Joey - illegal and unethical. the idea didn't sit well with me, but, as i said, i mentioned it because it reminded me to add a house key to my own kit.

that magazine has a lot of great ideas in it, but they are written by everyday people from all walks of life. you have to take them all with a grain of salt. - like everything else we see. it pays to spend time thinking before acting. sometimes something off-the-wall can contain the seed of a good idea.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218487 - 03/06/11 01:20 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: bacpacjac]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

As someone that was trained to pick locks I can say right now.....it's not as easy as it looks. Anyone that thinks it works like it does in the movies would be in for a rude awakening.

It takes a lot of practice and even then it borders on an art form. Some locks are easy, others can be picked but it takes a significant amount of time (hours in some cases), finally others are nearly impossible to defeat with normal lock-picks....more often than not you won't know which lock you have until you attempt it.

For the average person, a set of picks would border on useless. One would really be better off carrying a set of bolt cutters, a power drill, or a sledge hammer, rather than a set of lock-picks, if you really need to get into a locked door.

#218492 - 03/06/11 03:08 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: Paul810]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Paul810
As someone that was trained to pick locks I can say right now.....it's not as easy as it looks. Anyone that thinks it works like it does in the movies would be in for a rude awakening.

It takes a lot of practice and even then it borders on an art form. Some locks are easy, others can be picked but it takes a significant amount of time (hours in some cases), finally others are nearly impossible to defeat with normal lock-picks....more often than not you won't know which lock you have until you attempt it.

For the average person, a set of picks would border on useless. One would really be better off carrying a set of bolt cutters, a power drill, or a sledge hammer, rather than a set of lock-picks, if you really need to get into a locked door.

I agree. My SO's brother is a professional locksmith. After 26 years experience at this very specialized trade, he can attest that the skill required to pick a lock is not something that you are going to all of sudden, learn in the middle of an urban disaster, especially considering the differences in lock mechanism designs out there.

In an urban disaster situation, I can't think of anyone having to imagine picking a lock. Most locks can be opened much easier using the tools Paul mentioned.

John Lubbock

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 314 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.