Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#218317 - 03/03/11 03:26 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Jim, does your omnifuel have cleaning cable inside fuel line? I've seen one reference on classic camp stove forum that there is one, but either the author is mistaken or I'm too stupid to figure out where is it.

#218318 - 03/03/11 03:49 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i lucked out and bought one at a yard sale many years ago not knowing what it really was.it's the yellow pump model with the cup and sparker,i tossed out the can lid not knowing it was part of the set--a simmer plate--nice stove and it really throws out the heat which is a problem when you want to cook stew or bannock and not melt snow water up in the mountains.i never took it on a canoe trip because i thought that solid pipe would bend during the "bag toss" at the portages.
Byrd..i like a fire myself but i also like hot,fast meals when i paddle into camp.

the only thing i use the MSR for now is heating up a camp oven,with all that heat i can cook biscuits and pie in this Coleman oven.the fuel bottle and pump are from a Whisperlite that was filled and ready to go so i used it..if the power went off at least i can still cook!

Edited by CANOEDOGS (03/03/11 03:59 PM)

#218330 - 03/03/11 05:50 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Thanks for the review, I really dig your work smile

The robust fuel slurping capabilities should make it the ideal choice for a vehicle emergency stove. However, you really don't want those nasty fumes from ordinary car gaz or diesel in your passenger compartement.
Cracking the windows on the leeward side should get you by for carbon monoxide, but I'm less sure about the fumes from the combustion/partial combustion of anti-knock additives. I'd want someone with some more sophisticated equipment to run a test on this. HOWEVER, given a choice between hypothermia and risking fumes, I'd take the risk.

There is also a significant fire danger from priming a liquid fueled stove, a risk that can be to some degree mitigated by priming with alcohol. Even with alcohol, priming a liquid fueled stove in a passenger car poses a significant risk.

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
...with less than optimum fuels you really want to monitor the stove's performance and probably de-clog it rather frequently.
Yes.

HJ

#218332 - 03/03/11 06:10 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Jim, does your omnifuel have cleaning cable inside fuel line? I've seen one reference on classic camp stove forum that there is one, but either the author is mistaken or I'm too stupid to figure out where is it.
Most remote burner liquid fueled stoves fall into two categories: 1) valve at the pump only or 2) valve in-line in the fuel line (some stoves in category 2 also have a valve at the pump)

CATEGORY ONE
Take a look at an XGK.

There's no valve on the fuel line. The valve is part of the pump. Since there is no valve to block or impede the fuel line, a cable can be run down the fuel line. The cable can then be pushed and pulled back and forth to scour the fuel line to remove "lacquer" and carbon deposits. For these purposes, I'm considering the pre-heat loop/generator to be part of the fuel line.

CATEGORY TWO
Now, take a look at an Omnifuel.

There is a valve in-line in the fuel line. This valve is what gives the Omnifuel it's wonderful simmering capability (and why the XGK doesn't really simmer). Now, please show me a valve that can both shut off the fuel and have a cable running through it. I don't believe that a cable can be run through a valve. My Omnifuel doesn't have a cable, and I doubt that any Omnifuel does.

I have four liquid fueled stoves that I would consider category two stoves: an MSR Firefly, an MSR Dragonfly, an Optimus Nova, and a Primus Omnifuel. All have the in-line valve; all simmer wonderfully; none have a cable down the fuel line.

My contention, based on my knowledge of how stoves operate and my personal experience is that category two stoves are not as reliable as category one stoves. I'm not saying that it's like night and day, but in general the simpler category one type stoves will require less maintenance and have fewer problems over time.

As in much of life, you are faced with a trade off: the ability to easily simmer on demand is fabulous, but in choosing simmering you give up some reliability. For a "bug out" stove, I'll take reliability and choose foods accordingly.

HJ

#218334 - 03/03/11 06:19 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
HJ,

I have never wanted, needed, carried a stove. With the exception of my big Coleman camp stove, I've plied the prairies, woods, and waters of the Northland for decades without one. Your detailed reviews and great photos are starting to interest me in getting a small pack stove.

May the ticks of a thousand bull moose........never mind, I'll just go get my checkbook.
lol.

Hey, don't give up on wood fires just yet. They're great, and it keeps your survival fire building skills up to speed. In areas where it's safe, legal, and practical to have a cook fire, go for it.

BUT let me tell you a little story. One time I was out backpacking. I ran into unexpectedly heavy snow. I not only had to slog through the snow, I also lost the trail. By the grace of God and a bit of ded. reckoning, I found my night's camp, but I was completely wiped, and it was 11:00 PM -- full dark in other words. Did I want to dig in the snow to gather wood, prep a fire, get a fire going with snow-soaked/wet wood, burn it down a bit to get a good cook fire, and then start cooking? HECK NO. I was starving and exhausted. I wanted a full belly and to crawl into my sleeping bag. I reached into my pack, pulled out my stove, and in less then ten minutes had dinner on the "table" and a cup of steaming hot tea. Sometimes, a stove isn't such a bad thing.

HJ

#218335 - 03/03/11 06:25 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Ha! Good old smilin' Hikin' Jim has lured you to the Dark Side! Pretty soon your garage will be full and you will say, "Just one more, I can quit buying stoves any time...."
Dark side? Dude! This is the light side. There you are in your woodsy camp in the evening, your glowing, warm stove radiates heat and light, and supper is on it's way, baby! smile Hot stove on a cold night = a good thing.

HJ

#218336 - 03/03/11 06:27 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

the only thing i use the MSR for now is heating up a camp oven,with all that heat i can cook biscuits and pie in this Coleman oven.the fuel bottle and pump are from a Whisperlite that was filled and ready to go so i used it..if the power went off at least i can still cook!
Did someone say pie? And where did you say you're going camping next? wink

Nice set up.

HJ

#218338 - 03/03/11 06:40 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

There is a valve in-line in the fuel line. This valve is what gives the Omnifuel it's wonderful simmering capability (and why the XGK doesn't really simmer). Now, please show me a valve that can both shut off the fuel and have a cable running through it. I don't believe that a cable can be run through a valve. My Omnifuel doesn't have a cable, and I doubt that any Omnifuel does.
HJ

Thanks, I figured as such, maybe whoever wrote that got different stoves confused.

The inline valve can be easily removed though to clean the straight pipe and generator. I thought maybe the flex pipe could be also removed for cleaning, but it doesn't unscrew.

#218346 - 03/03/11 07:37 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
The inline valve can be easily removed though to clean the straight pipe and generator.
True. Just make sure you bring something to clean it with.

BTW, I don't want to make it sound like Category Two stoves are some disaster waiting to happen. They're not. They will take a bit more fuss, but if you are prepared for that, no big deal.

In a small baggie, I usually take, depending on the stove, a minimum maintenance kit consisting of:
-A pricker for clearing the jet.
-The wrench/tool for removing the jet and servicing the stove
-A spare fuel filter
-A safety pin (the tip of the pin is useful for removing fuel filters and "O" rings)

I will sometimes also add an "O" ring or two although I don't consider that quite as essential for field maintenance. A pipe cleaner for Category Two stoves isn't a bad idea. Coleman fuel can be used as a cleaning solvent.

For more remote trips, I take more maintenance supplies.

HJ

#218361 - 03/03/11 11:19 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR XGK II (Pre-Shaker Jet) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i Byrd..i like a fire myself but i also like hot,fast meals when i paddle into camp.[

Et tu Brute?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.