Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#218366 - 03/04/11 12:23 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Bottom line here is that your hiking gear is telling you that you are carrying too much knife. It is getting in your way and weighing you down. Leave it behind and the problem disappears. Stuff a folder in your pocket and get on with life.

#218373 - 03/04/11 01:44 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Honestly, I just can't imagine having a large knife strapped to my pack strap. It seems like it would get in the way too much when the pack goes on & off.

Edited by KenK (03/04/11 01:45 AM)

#218379 - 03/04/11 03:18 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: comms]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: comms
Originally Posted By: 6pac
Here's a question that I know has been brought up in the past.

What if you carry your pocket knife in your right pocket and your right arm becomes disabled, how do you get to your knife?

I going to be as civil and unoffensive as I can, b/c I don't like flaming people but I'm sorry, this question is ridiculous. You just gotta figure it out.

This reminds me of a story. Once my dad took me and my brothers to a threshing show. This is where the demonstrate the way farming used to be done with these huge, steam-powered tractor-thingies. One of these threshers scared up a rabbit which took off running. A dog (not ours) broke free from the kid holding it and took off after the rabbit. It was a big dog, mostly black lab but with something else mixed in, maybe springer of some sort. Anyway it was FAST and was soon on the rabbits tail. The rabbit was freaking out, zigging and zagging, the dog was rushing after it and the kid was running after the dog. The rabbit circled around like they always do (which is a good tip for rabbit hunters) and headed straight back towards the maw of the thresher. The dog followed the rabbit and the kids followed the dog. Everyone was screaming at the thresher operator to shut it down but it was too loud for him to hear them and the machine was too big for him to see over the front at the oncoming disaster. Suddenly a one-armed man (I can't remember his name but he and his family always sat behind about three rows in church) rushed out and scared the rabbit away from the thresher, followed by the dog and the kid, then he jumped out of the way of the thresher.

I'm not sure in which pocket he (the one-armed man) kept his knife.

-Blast, subtly trying to make a point about the difference between a useful answer and a pointless one...or maybe just babbling after being awake for three days.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#218383 - 03/04/11 05:03 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I vote babbling, but entertaining, too.

Is it just me, or do "useful" and "pointless" have this sneaky way of being up to each of those who consider them? [My babble.]

Get some rest, Blast.

Edited by dweste (03/04/11 05:03 AM)

#218390 - 03/04/11 01:09 PM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
More pointlessness - was the one-armed man left handed or right handed?

#218391 - 03/04/11 01:21 PM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: tomfaranda]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
And now, the rest of the story.

The one armed man lost his arm as a boy when he chased a dog chasing a rabbit into a threshing machine. The dog belonged to his finace and he had to choose between his arm and the woman he loved. Sadly, while he was recovering in the hospital she ran off with the deaf threshing machine operator.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#218392 - 03/04/11 02:18 PM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
...then the one armed man killed a doctor's wife, and they made a TV series out of it...

#218414 - 03/04/11 11:45 PM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have carried a large knife, a 3' long machete for trail cleanup, but I have never worried about getting it out quickly. Usually I slide it in its sheath down the tunnel under the side pockets, lash the belt loop on the sheath to the load control strap and catch the sheath under a couple of compression straps. Being 3' long it is really too long to pull out with my arms.

If anyone is dead set on carrying a Rambo blade you can use a drop strap so it hangs lower to avoid the backpack belt. Lashing it to your calf or boot is a popular choice for military folks. Any way you do it your going to look like a dork if you aren't in a combat zone, hanging with survivalists, or people pushing the mountain man look. There is no accounting for taste.

#218614 - 03/08/11 11:28 PM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
IIRC upside down shoulder strap carry was addressed in an early version of "everybody's knife book". It was indicated that it was thus for combat access, and wired in place with copper for jump security that could be overcome with a firm tug in emergency. The author hoped that the reader would live in peace and never be required to wear his knife inverted.

#218618 - 03/09/11 12:22 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
Pete Offline
Veteran

+1 with what NurseMike just said.

Soldiers sometimes wear a knife upside to give them quick access in combat. But unless you feel directly threatened and you are using your knife for self-defense - then this is not your best solution for survival purposes. Better to just attach it to your pack ... maybe the sides, or the back, of the pack. Try zip ties or small leather straps.

Large knives, machete's and parangs can be useful in some environments (esp. jungle) - but they tend to be heavy. Take a look at the knife that Bear Grylls uses - it's not that big (Bear uses a Bayley knife, can be seen at Bayleyknife.com, but they cost a small fortune!).

otherPete

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.