The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#218273 - 03/03/11 02:02 AM attaching a knife to back pack
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I recently purchased a new backpack. It has a hip belt that interferes with wearing my Buck 119 knife on my normal belt.

I have seen soldiers with their knives attached to a shoulder strap, pointed down. This seems like a convient way to carry it.

What is the best way to attach the two? Some look like they just use duct tape or something similar. I would prefer something a little cleaner and neater.

Any suggestions?

#218275 - 03/03/11 02:30 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Consider using robust zip ties. I use two at each attaching point for redundancy. If you mount the knife with the handle down on the shoulder strap, you can draw it with either hand, a trait which could be handy.

#218277 - 03/03/11 02:49 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I have the Buck 119. The total length of the knife is 10.5 inches and you can add on a bit more for the sheath. That is lot of knife to be hanging off the shoulder strap of a backpack. That said, when I carry the Buck, it goes in the top external pocket of the pack and although it is not fully and readily accessible, it is still not that difficult to get to if needed.

Hikermor mentioned zip ties. However I am not sure they would work if the newer sheaths are like my old sheath which is fairly thick, stiff and very slick. The zip ties to hold the sheath 100% in place upside down would need to fairly tight to not squish the sheath to the point that the knife is difficult to remove/insert back into the sheath.

With the sheath and most backpack straps being black,you may want to utilize a couple or 3 narrow strips of black duct or gaffers tape in order to keep the neat appearance you are looking for.

Edit: Curiosity got the best of me. I tried the zip ties (only have white.) As I suspected, I would really have to crank the ties up tight in order to keep the sheath from eventually working it's way lose. Although that could be mitigated by adding another tie around the sheath right under where the handle strap is.

Still I would rather keep the knife in the backpack pocket as that knife is too big to be carried in this manner for me.

John Lubbock

#218287 - 03/03/11 03:47 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Did you Consider,Strapping your knife,Laterally to Your Hip-belt or Installing Grommets onto the Sheath,to maximize the Carrying versatility? Good luck!

#218289 - 03/03/11 03:52 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Is that a hard rubber handle on your 119??? You lucky duck you!

#218294 - 03/03/11 04:20 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: Frisket]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Looks like hockey tape, I do that too on any slick handles.

I've never tried it but was told by many people that handle down while look cool, is a good way to lose your knives.

#218297 - 03/03/11 05:29 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Duct tape is what we grunts would use. Well actually we carried more electrical tape than duct tape b/c it was easier to carry tape down random clips and things that jingled.

Now of course MOLLE gear takes care of that but your talking about a military application on civilian gear. It's something people with combat arms backgrounds are always trying to blend together. At least IMHO.

#218307 - 03/03/11 11:39 AM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: Frisket]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Is that a hard rubber handle on your 119??? You lucky duck you!

No it is not a hard rubber handle. As jzmtl mentioned, it is black hockey tape. The handles on the 119 are just too slick and when your hands are cold and wet, it is all too easy to have the knife slip and possibly cut you up.

John Lubbock

#218309 - 03/03/11 12:32 PM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
heavy duty velcro tie wraps, one side hook, other side loop and hooks to itself???... more flexible than cable tie

#218311 - 03/03/11 12:54 PM Re: attaching a knife to back pack [Re: ScouterMan]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I would suggest doing a drop leg solution for your knife to get it out of the way of the hip belt.

While attaching it to the shoulder strap would work and would keep the knife near you while you had the backpack on, once you remove the pack you don't have the knife.

From my old SAR days, the philosophy was that if you didn't have it ON you, you didn't really have it. That type and style knife is a great tool one that I would rather have on my body than have to say "where is my pack" when I need it. Speaking of "where is my pack" if you take off your bag and it decides to go on "walk about" down a hill/ into a river or anything like that, well you get the picture.

Aside from all of that I would use Electrical tape to attach the knife to my shoulder strap. Just be VERY careful when you put the knife back in the sheath..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.