The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#218278 - 03/03/11 02:58 AM man woman wild
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've watched two episodes of this show so far and i'm still on the fence about it. It feels a little light on survival lessons to me, but the couple thing bugs me sometimes. she seems like a very capable woman, but sometimes, not so much. He's a confident military man, and that can be annoying too. I am glad to see that they've taken the saner route on their show, and seem to be avoiding the showmanship stuff.

All their "Honey" and "Babe" stuff makes me think about my husband. Not because we talk like that, but thinking about how we would interact in a crisis. We've survived small traumatic events and family camping wink but a major unexpected event has a totally different stress level. Right now I'm reading "When All Hell Breaks Loose", and in it, Cody Lundin talks a lot about our survival personalities.

Any insights?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218282 - 03/03/11 03:18 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Survival personalities...

I think people are what they are, and they aren't likely to change in a disaster, in either direction, except maybe emotionally as a result of a partner's or child's death.

I have a sister who is basically a self-made idiot (with a husband to match). I have a good friend who has a genius IQ and no common sense whatsoever. I have a neighbor who is very sweet-natured, but virtually incapable of accomplishing anything other than housework. I had a neighbor who knew baseball history inside and out since it was invented, but who couldn't figure out why his garage door wouldn't work (broken spring). I have another neighbor who only knows how to spend money, and one who is ruled by his rather nasty three under-eight children.

I am one of the shortest-tempered b... witches on the planet. THAT'S not going to change! I don't put up with much idiocy, stupidity, cruelty or dishonesty. In fact, I already have a spot picked out to dump the bodies, and just need to reserve enough gas to get there and back.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Sue

#218283 - 03/03/11 03:36 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Bacpac:

We have viewed all the episodes and echo some of your comments.

Yes some of the survival lessons are light, however there are few things I gleaned from the show and is filed away in the future knowledge bank.

The man Mykel Hawke certainly knows his stuff and yes the "Honey and Babe" endearments get old however after awhile we kind of got used to / ignored it. His wife who had no prior or little outdoors survival experience did better in some of the later episodes as she gained confidence and knowledge/skills.

All in all, not a bad show and it is worth noting that on some episodes, Mother Nature won some of the survival battles and added some realism (relatively speaking) to the show.

John Lubbock

#218285 - 03/03/11 03:43 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Did not like it. Compared it greatly to bear grylls. Alota things i didnt like about it. I watched the episode with the turtle I forget where it was. They spliced in to much stock footage and crap. When they get the water they are like OMG we are gonna die! when if you look closely NOTHING is around them then they spliced in footage of stuff to make it look like they are feet away from it. Then they magically erected a gilligan shanty in the trees to live in. Then they started a fire like a half mile away from the campsite and then had a dramatic race to the campsite before the fire went out!!!. Then his hunting helmet was the stupidest thing I ever seen since the camera crew is up his ass the entire time anyways.

All in all the chemistry between them is annoying at best. She constantly has to be coddled by him and constantly blabs on and on and on. He aswell is equally annoying with his voice and tough guy bs. To Top it off the "What i learned about my partner threw this" for the last 10 minutes is just dumb to me.

Also as you mentioned above it lacks survival lessons. Its more like watching a annoying couple go on a camping trip.

#218288 - 03/03/11 03:50 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I watched two episodes and that was plenty for me. It was highly contrived and artificial (for some reason they just absolutely had to cross the Colorado River - mostly to get to the other side, as far as I could tell, and to provide some dramuh for the camera). I write it off as typical TV junk.

#218290 - 03/03/11 03:54 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Actually i think its funny that i only seen two episodes aswell....seems like it just disappeared after the two episodes? Gotta be a reason.

#218292 - 03/03/11 04:06 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
My wife and I watched all the episodes - there were 6 or 7. We enjoyed it.

#218293 - 03/03/11 04:18 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I see it as a,Fairly, Real World Situation,Short of the Few Women in this World that show Interest for Outdoors Survival Training,She does a Damn Fine Job of Being Honest & True to her Husband,Putting Complete Trust in his Abilities to,See them Thru Each Scenario,Even though He wasn't able to Provide Everytime!The Episode of them in The Senora Desert,where they were Waterless,& Ate Cacti,& Drank pee,& She came down with Sunstroke,& They got the Camera Crew/EMT to make up some Solution to Re-Hydrate,& She Barfed up Pretty Good,of which wasn't Acting, Any of It!Yes,It is Still Television but, Far more Educational than Bear Grylls,& No Cockney accent to Decipher either,lol!

#218298 - 03/03/11 05:42 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I confess I like the show. Every point here is well made and I've them myself, but I keep coming back to the fact that here is guy, a technical expect and practical applicator of survival who is taking his wife, a tv journalist, the epitome of symbolism* over substance, and teaching her concepts of his trade.

Thread Jack (to make a point) I can't watch tv infobabes regarding survival/disaster without thinking of the time when the reportette speaking while sitting in a canoe in a recently flooded area, talking about the treacherous conditions and two fire fighters walk into frame and the water is shin deep.

#218303 - 03/03/11 09:09 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I've watched a few episodes and enjoyed them so far.

I also find all the "honey" and "babe" a bit annoying. I think the producers should have pulled them up on that and stopped it. Often Mykel seems a little condescending towards Ruth;
but its the basic skills and explanation of the approach they take to each situation which is what I like. A much better and more informative show than Man vs Wild.

I believe that they have an episode set in Tasmania which I haven’t seen as yet. I’m in Victoria, so “Tassie” is just a short swim away. I’m looking forward to seeing a bit of (almost) local content on a TV show.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 435 Guests and 189 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.