Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#218124 - 02/28/11 06:04 PM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: thseng]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
no disagreement on the industrial machines.

regarding your question, because I think the danger of losing my most important item(s) in the bush is greater than the likelihood I'm going to hang myself. Simple precautions like putting the necklace in the shirt when moving further reduce my concern.

#218163 - 03/01/11 02:51 AM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: kevingg]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I once read of a man who joined-up his paracord necklace with a short length of shrink tubing, to provide a breakaway joint. I never tried it myself, but it sounds viable.

#218165 - 03/01/11 03:14 AM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: XDriver]
kevingg Offline
Addict

smart solution! thanks for sharing.

#218178 - 03/01/11 11:57 AM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: kevingg]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Shows how ignorant I am I suppose. But what is the philosophy behind a neck knife? Why carry it that way?
qjs

#218179 - 03/01/11 12:18 PM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: quick_joey_small]
kevingg Offline
Addict

I always like to have a blade that I can access with one hand. It used to be a folder with thumb type knob. I had a lousy Smith and Wesson one and it failed after a year. Pondering on the topic, I realized the folder was offering me only one hand opening over my SAK, but nothing else (I couldn't baton with it, I couldn't strike my firesteel with the back of it). Also, it wore my pants, it sometimes snagged and pulled out of the pocket on the couch...I decided that a necker would be my next knife.

#218228 - 03/02/11 11:45 AM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: kevingg]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
That makes sense. A fixed blade beats a single folding blade.
So how do people wear it?
blade up; so you can draw it from the top of a shirt?
blade down; so you can draw it through the shirt (while losing buttons?). or is it the back of the neck or something the (possibly mythical) old trick of 'surrendering' by putting your hands behind your head while reaching for a weapon?
qjs

#218229 - 03/02/11 12:31 PM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: quick_joey_small]
kevingg Offline
Addict

for me blade down (only with tight fitting kydex!) and I'd untuck and draw from below in emergency.

#218420 - 03/05/11 01:45 AM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: kevingg]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Diving and kayaking are environments where the possibility of entanglement in fishing line, kelp fronds, gear leashes, etcetera, invokes my desire to avoid the Rule of Threes caution about possible death in three minutes without air. Primarily for that reason I wear a personal floation device kayaking, and a weight harness diving, both with small external dive knife mounted upside down in a tight sheath located near my centerline for access by either hand. I would not want this knife on a cord because it would increase the potential for entanglement.

That admitted, I seem to lack the imagination to think of any environment where hanging a neck knife on a cord is the best option, except perhaps where you want to make a visual statement of some kind. [I routinely carry a multi-tool that includes blades in one pocket, and a one-hand opening folder in the pocket on the opposite side, not including my PSK.] I ask the ETS brain trust for enlightenment.

Edited by dweste (03/05/11 02:10 AM)

#218424 - 03/05/11 03:29 AM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: thseng]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Rock climbers typically carry several circular slings, necessary for fashioning protection as a pitch is surmounted. These are routinely carried over one shoulder and under the opposite arm. This avoids the possible noose effect in a fall or entanglement. I certainly wouldn't just drape something around my neck unless it had a breakaway joint. You put it well - why put your neck in a noose?

I also remove my wedding ring and wrist watch when climbing. I have only seen deglovement injuries in pictures and I don't wish any personal experience. I usually carry the ring on a light sling worn like my climbing slings.

In really thick brush, I could readily see a cord worn around the neck being caught, with somewhat nasty results.

#218519 - 03/06/11 10:46 PM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: kevingg]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I don't carry a neck knife, but am considering it. When out in the bush I often pick up something up and take it back to camp to process. So when I'm sitting down, suddenly my pocket or belt is not very accessible; but a neck knife would still be easy to reach.

With kids in camp I don't like leaving a knife lying around, I like it either in a hand being used, or safely in a sheath; once again if I'm sitting a neck knife would give good access and there is no chance of leaving it behind or losing it. I would always know where it was.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.