The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#21821 - 11/25/03 04:25 AM Re: Quikclot
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks very much for all the feedback.
I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond.

#21822 - 11/26/03 03:56 PM Re: Quikclot
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
While I still believe BLS bleeding control methods are still preferable, I found a source that that has a reasonable priced product if you would like to try a chemical hemostat (chemical to control bleeding). I have not used the product, do not endorse it or have any vested interested in the product, just offering it as possible resource. It is on Ebay, it is called QUICK RELIEF, has 12 applications and while this particular seller has one listing, I am sure you could check the first aid area to find others or contact the seller. Looks like it should sell for a couple of dollars with reasonable S&H charge. Pete

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2966253850&category=11779

#21823 - 11/26/03 04:31 PM Re: Quikclot
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Here's some info from the military side:

http://www.usuhs.mil/uao/Release03-03-05.pdf

An excerpt:

“Hemostatic agents without this exothermic property will be available in the future and should be evaluated as a potential replacement. Until that time, used carefully in this well-defined population who are still bleeding despite all standard current therapy, it seems that the benefit of saving a life outweighs the risk .”

"The panel also reinforced the FDA’s recommendation for use by reporting that given tissue damage from this exothermic reaction may be a risk, this agent should only be used for lifethreatening hemorrhaging."

#21824 - 11/26/03 06:21 PM Re: Quikclot
lostscout Offline
Journeyman

Loc: 40.53088N 111.91328W
OK, so where do I get some... i.e. a place I can trust. My farther takes Coumadin, and this could every well save his life!

#21825 - 11/26/03 06:39 PM Re: Quikclot
lostscout Offline
Journeyman

Loc: 40.53088N 111.91328W
What about hemaderm?

#21826 - 11/27/03 09:06 PM Re: Quikclot
Markhk Offline
Stranger

There appears to be some confusion with the many emergency hemorrhagic control agents on the market. The best known ones are the following:

QuikClot: Uses minerals to create reaction to concentrate clotting factors and creates an exothermic reaction (read: gets hot) when it comes into contact with water. This is the product used in the USMC’s Individual IFAK and has received the most praise for severe blood loss control. However, USSOCOM (US Special Operations Command) has pulled its used from the field because they believe the dangers of severe burns are high. HOWEVER, the Army and Marine Corp, after a study that reiterated its effectiveness (USUHS) continue to use the product because they believe that a BURN is better than DYING. There are confirmed reports of saves with this product in US military operations. The product is manufactured by Z-Medica which is NOT related to the company that makes the Cinch-Tight banadage. They do make a “battle pack” which uses the Cinch Tight bandage, which is modeled after the Marine Individual First Aid Kit. It is very important you follow the instructions on the packet to prevent burns. (www.z-medica.com)

Traumadex: Is made from potato starch and is NOT related to QuikClot in any way. These starch molecules “swell” when they come into contact with water helping createa “plug” in a wound. There are promising rabbit studies which indicate its ability to work well and I remember reading several ambulance organizations raving about it. However, one study (on the Z-Medica site) indicates that the product performs poorly in a severe bleeding model. However, there is no danger of burns. This is the SAME product as Hemaderm, Bleed-X, and Hema-Block. (www.traumadex.com) and (www.medafor.com)

UrgentQR: Is a mineral product designed to create a “scab” over minor wounds. I hear it is great for athletic trainers and the like who need to get players back on the pitch by stopping minor bleeding. (Players usually get sent out with actively bleeding wounds). However, this product is NOT designed for severe bleeding. (www.biolife.com)

Hemcon: Experimental shrimp bandage that will cost US$100 for a 4x4 inch gauze size. Its clinical effectiveness has yet to be determined publicly. (www.hemocon.com)

The bottom line:
If you do HIGH-RISK (of blood loss) activity (e.g. law enforcement, military, mountain expedition in the Andes etc.) or have blood clotting issues (hemophilia or are on blood thinning drugs) then you should think about buying these products. However, this stuff really isn’t needed in your medicine cabinet, especially ones that can cause severe burns if not used properly. Most of the products still require you to know basic first aid skills (Direct Pressure, Elevation, Pressure Points) and are NOT a replacement for these skills. However, some of these products have great promise in saving lives that were previously unsalvageable by the simple first-aid-equipped responder.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.