Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#218526 - 03/07/11 12:23 AM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: Aussie]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Aussie
So when I'm sitting down, suddenly my pocket or belt is not very accessible

Cargo pants or shorts: lower pockets readily accessible standing, sitting, etcetera, unless you are lying on your stomach.

#218619 - 03/09/11 12:33 AM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: kevingg]
Pete Offline
Veteran

kevingg - nice knife. The guy did a good job for you. Most of the time, though, if it were my knife I would probably just wear on my belt or carry it in a pocket. What I like is the weight and the compact size of the knife. It's a good backup.

quick-joey - neck knives are worn as a form of quick-access weapon. They are difficult to see under a shirt, and can be quickly drawn by sliding one hand under the shirt and removing the knife from the sheath. Care must be taken not to draw the blade across your flesh (chest or waist). Not usually done for survival purposes. More for self-defense.

other Pete

#218646 - 03/09/11 01:34 PM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: Pete]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
for me, it is very much a woods / survival knife. watch IA woodsman's video and you'll see how useful a small necker can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu-w7iA7CYA

#218651 - 03/09/11 03:07 PM Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc [Re: kevingg]
Pete Offline
Veteran

kev - I'll check the video. A lot of guys like the "idea" of a neck knife because it seems cool, and the tool is easily accessible. But the main risk is an accident. It is very easy when you draw that blade to accidentally slice yourself on the chest or stomach. This usually happens because the person wearing the neck knife did not practice the simple act of drawing the blade in a safe manner (they just assumed it would come out of the sheath OK). This is NOT a good outcome in a survival situation. The last thing you need is a self-inflicted wound. It's a useful way of carrying a knife ... provided you practice.

These comments are not aimed at you in any way - just general information. Like I said - I like your knife because it's compact & lightweight. A survival knife is the "knife you've got on you" ... heavy gear tends to get left at home.

Neck knives are illegal in some states in the USA, including where i live in California. Mostly for the reason already stated - guys tend to wear them as a hidden, quick-access weapons. It's too bad when the actions of a few people with criminal intent ruin it for everybody.

other Pete

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.