Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#222967 - 05/05/11 07:13 AM Re: Paracord self defense lanyard [Re: Pete]
robs456 Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: juhirvon
Thought I'd share.

So I asked why and he said the longs ones make a large arc, easy to pick and parry by reflex. Just grab the long line and you've basically disarmed your opponent, but the short one (according to him) produces 80% of the momentum of the big one, cannot be grabbed and is a lot more difficult to spot quick enough to parry.

Originally Posted By: kevingg
your friend makes sense. 90% of the time I have my keys in hand, I'm in the "short" position shown in the pic you showed anyway. The ability to stretch it out to 30" is just "cool" I think. the reality of stretching it out in a self defense situation is slim; but lets say there were multiple attackers who were unsophisticated. perhaps no one would be brave enough to take their chances as you whirl the thing around? I don't know. I'll tell you what, I can swing this thing so fast and so quick using "rock sling" technique I'm guessing your arm will be in a huge world of hurt if you stick it out and let this thing wrap on you. just saying.

Originally Posted By: Pete
You apparently have in mind that you will flip one of these balls (with steel core), on a short piece of paracord, at your attacker.

Originally Posted By: Pete
It's worth remembering that in all the martial arts approaches that use weapons, skills and techniques have developed and evolved over very long periods of time.

The last quote makes the most sense to me because I believe the slungshot back in the olden days wasn't used the way you guys describe it, like some kind of flail.
Instead, the most effective way was as a weapon of surprise.
Basically the slungshot man simply threw the ball/shot at his victim and used the line/cord to retrieve the weapon for another go if necessary (or used it as a flail for the continuation of the attack).

As a weapon of surprise it was most likely more common with the shadier characters about town which is probably why it was banned just about everywhere.

#223046 - 05/06/11 11:52 AM Re: Paracord self defense lanyard [Re: robs456]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
thanks for the input robs; its an interesting conversation to say the least. I'm wondering if this necklace / lanyard I made fits the legal definition of a slung shot? I'd never even heard the term when I made it LOL.

#223893 - 05/19/11 04:39 PM Steel saints rockin their lanyards! [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Steel saints rockin their lanyards! Thanks to Big Al from Birmingham for the idea, and the pics!

#223899 - 05/19/11 07:19 PM Re: Paracord self defense lanyard [Re: kevingg]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
You almost make me wish I has a little weight and and longer cord on the monkey fist on my keychain! Of course, I use it as a key holder rather than for defense. Tuck the monkey fist through your belt loop and your keys are secure. Too much weight might be counter productive to that goal. I'd hate to end up with an embarassing plumber's butt. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223955 - 05/20/11 02:04 PM Re: Paracord self defense lanyard [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Just say no to crack.

#223982 - 05/20/11 07:40 PM Re: Paracord self defense lanyard [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

yeah, thats definitely a concern LOL

#224463 - 05/27/11 07:12 PM Re: Paracord self defense lanyard [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

I'm calling this the "door knocker"; 3/4" steel bearing, gutted paracord, 12" lanyard (4 strand round braid); attached to key ring via snake knot. Similar to black one I posted a bit ago.

#228363 - 07/24/11 02:45 PM Texas Saints Martial Arts Lanyard [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

This is a version of the Steel Saints Lanyard, revised for a 1" steel ball insert (vs. the 1.5" ball). I've made this for the sensei of a martial arts academy in Texas, and I'm working on some non-adjustable versions for his students. The difference and size and weight between the 1" and 1.5" steel balls is substantial. Swinging the smaller ball just does not feel right, sort of like swinging a golf club with a low swing weight. As in golf club design, the feel can be adjusted to preference by adding weight to the club head, or reducing the weight of the shaft. Also, with the smaller monkeys fist, I don't want huge knots, throwing off the aesthetic balance of the piece. For these reasons, I've made the following refinements to the design of the Texas Saints Martial Arts Lanyard:

1. The braid is made thinner to reduce weight and wind resistance by incorporating the second color (black) as a gutted strand of paracord.
2. The manrope knot is done with two rather than three passes (also using the gutted paracord)

I hope to try this on a water jug pinata soon to see the difference.

#228392 - 07/25/11 01:33 AM Re: Texas Saints Martial Arts Lanyard [Re: kevingg]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I seriously question the wisdom of giving something like this to kid in martial arts to wear. What a great big, honking thing to grab and choke the wearer with. By the time a student would be in a position of using it, they would be in a position of being choked by it. Bad idea on the sensei's part.

I say this as a holder of a Black Belt.

YMMV

My $.02

#228399 - 07/25/11 01:45 AM Re: Texas Saints Martial Arts Lanyard [Re: MoBOB]
kevingg Offline
Addict

these will be carried on the belt, coiled like a whip. not around the neck.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.