Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#218203 - 03/01/11 08:01 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

EDIT: whatever. I'll keep using online and offline methods, both of which are effective and convenient. You keep looking for that singular 100% solution. Cry a river when you find out it was only 98%.

Edited by Glock-A-Roo (03/01/11 08:14 PM)
Edit Reason: exasperation

#218206 - 03/01/11 09:08 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Thats what I'm doing now, its several others who are suggesting using online backup services, I'm trying to point out why they don't work.

You keep repeating that. Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?

#218426 - 03/05/11 04:14 AM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
duckear Offline
Addict

Encrypt documents that never go out of 'style' (marriage license, birth certificate, etc) with TrueCrypt and mail to your email accounts. Email and download to your smartphone too.

Easy and free.

Encrypted online, encrypted physical (hard drive, thumb drive) and grab and go folder in firesafe.

Two is one and one is none.

#221835 - 04/18/11 09:36 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I got this marketing email from Mozy.com (no affiliation), which makes another strong case for online backup:

Quote:
Greetings,

Paul Jorgensen and Bill Wiley were each returning from business trips when they boarded US Airways Flight 1549 with their laptops and belongings. Suddenly a routine flight home turned into chaos when the plane crash-landed into the Hudson River. Both travelers abandoned their personal belongings and fled for safety.

Paul Jorgenson’s computer automatically backed up online with Mozy the night before the crash, allowing him to restore all his data the same day. Bill Wiley, on the other hand, backed up his two computers to thumb drives which were also lost in the crash, permanently losing 250 GB of his employer’s information. The stories were detailed in USA Today and ComputerWorld...

#221837 - 04/18/11 09:47 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats a case for backups period, not online or offline specifically. I pulled my backup drive out of the safe and sync'ed friday night before we left out of town Sat morning.

#221851 - 04/18/11 11:48 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Eh, it's a case for online backup. An online backup is basically impossible to bring with you and into whatever disaster you may experience. From the article, the guy who lost out had 250 GB backed up on a thumb drive (not online), but he unfortunately brought his backup with him on the plane. Given the way technology is going, external backups are becoming more and more portable. In this case, portability wasn't a good thing.

#221860 - 04/19/11 12:54 AM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I knew I shouldn't have responded to that.
taking the (only) backups with was the wrong move, it still doesn't make a case for online backups.
The point of my thread was to show my version of Blasts's binder which I had mentioned in his thread(s) before. Seems so many want to take it off topic and make it a debate about why I should spend $ on a service that doesn't work for me.

#221892 - 04/19/11 01:02 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I knew I shouldn't have responded to that.
taking the (only) backups with was the wrong move, it still doesn't make a case for online backups.

Really? How then should those guys have secured a backup made in their hotel room before flying home: make a backup onto a thumbdrive/DVD/whatever and FedEx'ed it home? Its possible but a real hassle and very likely to be skipped. Online backup was an excellent option in this case.

The point of my thread was to show my version of Blasts's binder which I had mentioned in his thread(s) before. Seems so many want to take it off topic and make it a debate about why I should spend $ on a service that doesn't work for me.

Yeah, discussions are like that, as opposed to lectures. Discussions go both ways.

#221894 - 04/19/11 01:13 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

Really? How then should those guys have secured a backup made in their hotel room before flying home: make a backup onto a thumbdrive/DVD/whatever and FedEx'ed it home? Its possible but a real hassle and very likely to be skipped. Online backup was an excellent option in this case.

Connect to the corporate vpn and backup that way. If I would take my company owned laptop and backup to some non company owned service I'd be fired. Very few companies will allow anything like that and when they do its only trough company approved sites where they have the proper legal documents in place.
The example would only work for a small home office, not any larger business.
That example is the reason why I've recieved a dozen e-mails over the lats couple weeks from various companies letting me know that my e-mail address has been stolen from a marketing company called epsilon. When you send your date off to a third party you loose control.

#221909 - 04/19/11 04:31 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Connect to the corporate vpn and backup that way. If I would take my company owned laptop and backup to some non company owned service I'd be fired. Very few companies will allow anything like that and when they do its only trough company approved sites where they have the proper legal documents in place.
The example would only work for a small home office, not any larger business.

This whole thread is about personal backups, not corporate applications. It's hard to understand why you don't see the underlying principle instead of just the external details. If the example would work for a small home office, it sure as heck will work for personal stuff.

Everything we've talked about assumes you encrypt the data before storing it anywhere, not just in The Cloud. It doesn't really matter if Epsilon spilled your email address. If you're worried about your files getting cracked even though they're encrypted with 128 bit keys, and if you've set yourself up to be compromised if someone knows your email address, you shouldn't even be on the internet.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.