Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#221913 - 04/19/11 05:13 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Connect to the corporate vpn and backup that way. If I would take my company owned laptop and backup to some non company owned service I'd be fired. Very few companies will allow anything like that and when they do its only trough company approved sites where they have the proper legal documents in place.
The example would only work for a small home office, not any larger business.

Okaaaay...This thread is about backup for individuals (and small businesses I guess). Anyway, note that backing up to the corporate VPN (which you mentioned) is a form of online backup.

That example is the reason why I've recieved a dozen e-mails over the lats couple weeks from various companies letting me know that my e-mail address has been stolen from a marketing company called epsilon. When you send your date off to a third party you loose control.

I have been using online backup for over four years for my small business and my personal. I have not experienced the issue you mentioned, but the online backup has proven its weight in gold because I have had to restore data a few times. (By the way, I don't use Mozy, which was the source of that email I posted above.)

#221920 - 04/19/11 05:47 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: ireckon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ireckon

Okaaaay...This thread is about backup for individuals (and small businesses I guess). Anyway, note that backing up to the corporate VPN (which you mentioned) is a form of online backup.

Except thats not what the thread was about, a few people turned it into that but it wasn't the original purpose smile

#221921 - 04/19/11 05:57 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ireckon

Except thats not what the thread was about, a few people turned it into that but it wasn't the original purpose smile

Maybe it wasn't your purpose, but the discussion of online backup is certainly relevant and important. A person's "Important Documents Binder" can be contained entirely in an online backup. That's attractive for somebody who travels a lot or who has no long-term home. (Believe it or not, there are people like this!) Personally, I'm moving toward having most of my stuff online with little or no reliance on physical copies.

Anyway, the thread started talking so much about online backup after there was such a vociferous reaction against online backup.

#221940 - 04/19/11 09:31 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was trying speak against it because there were so many that said basically you need to have an online backup no matter what, its kind of like when any thread about computers turns to "buy a mac".
Online backups have a place, they are not the be all end all to backups and won't fit everyone, but the current popularity of "in the cloud" has so many going that route even if it isn't a good fit for their environment or situation. I was trying to point out that fist of all online backups for a number of reasons do not work for me and second are not the answer for everyone.
I'm more self sufficient than most, I don't call a plumber, I don't pay someone else to change my oil, I don't pay geek squad to fix my computers, I don't pay someone else to do my backups, I don't rely on someone else to provide my food/shelter/water if the need should arise.

#221962 - 04/20/11 06:42 AM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I was trying speak against it because there were so many that said basically you need to have an online backup no matter what, its kind of like when any thread about computers turns to "buy a mac".
Online backups have a place, they are not the be all end all to backups and won't fit everyone, but the current popularity of "in the cloud" has so many going that route even if it isn't a good fit for their environment or situation. I was trying to point out that fist of all online backups for a number of reasons do not work for me and second are not the answer for everyone.
I'm more self sufficient than most, I don't call a plumber, I don't pay someone else to change my oil, I don't pay geek squad to fix my computers, I don't pay someone else to do my backups, I don't rely on someone else to provide my food/shelter/water if the need should arise.

You have got to be joking with me. Do you make your own fireproof safes too? You won't trust your data to an outside service, but do you ever bring your body to fly on an airplane that somebody else made? Do you store data on your local computer that somebody else made? Did you build your own house and your own car that you rely on for shelter everyday? Do you make your own rope if you go rock climbing? Sorry man, but your generally philosophy, as you're expressing it here, either makes you nonfunctional or makes you a hypocrite.

I'll say it for about the 10th time in this thread, online backup is just one of many layers of backup. There's a reasonable chance online backup could be the only layer that survives a disaster I may experience in the future.

#221964 - 04/20/11 09:52 AM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm not talking aout not using stuff, I'm talking about services, there is a difference.

#222004 - 04/20/11 05:42 PM Re: My Important documents binder [Re: Eugene]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Speaking of which - experiences with Truecrypt?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.