Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#217901 - 02/24/11 02:47 AM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: cliff]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JBMatt... a black cup will radiate heat away quicker

#217902 - 02/24/11 02:49 AM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: cliff]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
That was an XLNT Review! I was trying to come up with a Multi-use for the Heavy Cover,to justify it's means over Alum.Foil,Not to mention Where on a Canteen Cover,Is it going to be Stowed? or Is that the Next $20 item in line for this Set-Up,A Possibly extended Canteen Cover,to allow for the HeavyCover to fit on the bottom,of the canteen cover!Possible other use's for the Heavy Cover:Bacon/Burger Press,Bug/Scorpion Smasher,Cowbell alternative for Gitfiddle Campfire Tunes,Sear Plate for cauterizing wounds,Set on edge in the dirt/sand for use as a Multiple Launch Platform for Bottle Rockets,or Incense holder for Spiritual backcountry shindigs????

#217908 - 02/24/11 11:50 AM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: cliff]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK

You can get acrylic covers for canteen cups in the UK. obviously not as tough but you can see if it's boiling.
Anyone know how well the gel cookers for canteen cups work?
And does anyone sell the insulating foam the jetboil cup is surrounded with to fit a canteen cup.
Or would it catch fire?
qjs

#217911 - 02/24/11 03:51 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
does anyone sell the insulating foam the jetboil cup is surrounded with to fit a canteen cup.
Or would it catch fire?
qjs
Neoprene of that type that the Jetboil cozies are made of would work OK depending on what type of heating you were doing. Open flame (such as a wood fire) would probably be bad although you might be able to slide the cozy off during heating and then slide it back on afterwards.

The problem I see with using a cozy on a canteen cup is the cup's handles. You'd have to cut out a pretty big swath of the cozy in order to fit it onto the cup. I wonder how stable it would be although perhaps you could have a velcro attachment that fastened above the handles once the cozy was put into place. Seems like kind of a kludge.

HJ

#217918 - 02/24/11 05:56 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: cliff]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Cliff,

Great review, I may have to dig out my GI rig.

HJ,

How about an old style cup with the swing handle, take off the cozy, swing the handle then put it back on. Avoid those new fangled contraptions. wink

The best,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (02/24/11 05:57 PM)

#217919 - 02/24/11 06:03 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Cliff,

Great review, I may have to dig out my GI rig.

HJ,

How about an old style cup with the swing handle, take off the cozy, swing the handle then put it back on. Avoid those new fangled contraptions. wink

The best,

Jerry
There you go, Jerry, good thought. I put it in the context of the one I have (the one with the "butterfly" handles), but the older style swing handle might indeed work better with a neoprene cozy.

Let's see, we've got our neoprene cozy, we can add a lid with a drinking hole -- what the heck? We've just created the yuppie canteen cup. wink

HJ

#217920 - 02/24/11 06:08 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
[quote=Hikin_Jim Let's see, we've got our neoprene cozy, we can add a lid with a drinking hole -- what the heck? We've just created the yuppie canteen cup. wink

HJ [/quote]

Only if it comes with Starbucks instant in it!!!

Jerry

#218168 - 03/01/11 03:53 AM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: cliff]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Great post, Cliff!

How did you attach your bail? I didn't see any holes in your cup or anything on it. Is it just a case of my old eyes?

#218193 - 03/01/11 05:08 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: LesSnyder]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...a black cup will radiate heat away quicker"

Why? I've never heard that. What is the physics of it?

Sue

#218194 - 03/01/11 05:54 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
"...a black cup will radiate heat away quicker"

Why? I've never heard that. What is the physics of it?

Sue
Sue,

Blast or some other real scientist may need to correct the specifics, but basically it has to do with the wavelengths of radiation (such as light or heat) reflected or absorbed. For example, if something appears blue, it's actually absorbing other colors of the spectrum but reflecting blue. White is reflecting all colors approximately equally. Black is absorbing all colors (wavelengths).

Since black absorbs all wavelengths, it also radiates in all wavelengths and therefore tends to radiate heat away more quickly. Try this: go out on a hot sunny day in a black coat. Then try a white coat. Most people will experience the black coat as significantly warmer because it will absorb heat from the sun whereas the white coat will reflect it.

Another experiment is to put two objects of equal temperature, one black, one white, into a refrigerator and chart the decline in temperature. All else being equal, the black one should cool slightly faster.

HJ

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.