Topic Options
#217905 - 02/24/11 03:22 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Blast
My asparagus is currently 10" tall, my potato plants have broken through the soil, my onions are going nuts. Woo hoo, it's spring in Houston!

-Blast

There! See!? A SCIENTIST SAID IT. Thus it is true.

Better yet, trust the weather-predicting alligator's stomach.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#217907 - 02/24/11 04:14 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Blast]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
This is the way I see it,If we have Crappy Weather here in Southern California,It becomes Bad Weather as it passes it's way East,Making it's way into The Rockies,Forming up with weather there,Then Clashing with The Warm systems from the Gulf,which in turn create Violent Crappy Weather in Texas,Texarkana,Oklahoma,etc.We have a Big Front coming in This weekend,So I predict somewhere near Next Wednsday,there will be Crappy,Un-Springlike Weather in The Lone Star Area,Cover them onions n'taters!

#218093 - 02/28/11 01:47 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

It hit 90F here according to a thermometer in the sun. Figure around 85F for real. I did some work in the yard with my shirt off. Took off the last of the old leaves I piled on plants to keep them from freezing and cut some plywood and 1bys for a project. Broke a bit of a sweat working in the sun. My winter whitened forearms and neck turned just slightly pink from the sun after a bit so I put on a long-sleeve shirt and wide brimmed hat. Pays to be careful with the more direct sun here. The southern sun doesn't play.

Felt good. Winter is gone, spring is here. I'm loving every minute of it.

#218094 - 02/28/11 02:11 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I spoke too soon last week when I bumped this tread.

This what it looked like at 9:30 am today. We ended up with 8 inches of snow before it let up around 2:00 pm. So much for the balmy and temperate PNW...

John Lubbock

#218096 - 02/28/11 03:03 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Great-Googlie-Mooglie that looks cold. Gave me a shiver.

That looks like the cooler side of 'temperate'. It is north of 75F here at 2300. My windows are open and the crickets are singing.

On the up side, if the power goes out you have a cold place to keep the beer. LOL.

Stay warm ... rumor is that warmer weather is coming your way. Wow ... that is too cold to contemplate. I feel for you.

#218097 - 02/28/11 03:31 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, it's been a hard winter out on the prairies, cycling between above freezing (creating a sheet of ice everywhere) and large snow dumps combined with very d@mn cold temperatures (down to -36C plus windchill. This cycle makes every last thing harder; and the ice dams on my house are causing real problems (and a lot of highly inventive cursing as I chop ice and dry out insulation). The wide temperature swings load me down with a lot of "make work."

But there can be bright spots. Had fun yesterday, with some city kids visiting. After they were saturated with video games and broadband internet, I convinced them to come out in the yard, along the shelterbelt trees, where the drifts were four feet deep and dense enough to walk on. In an hour and a half, we dug a 3-person snow shelter, put a wood/tarp/snow roof on top, put in a real glass window for fun, fashioned a snow bench to sit on, and dug out alcoves for a ton of candles. Then their mom came out for photos, with candles in the foreground and a winter sunset behind. I think the two sisters have a good memory of the day; they've already scheduled 'uncle' to help them build a summer shelter. (And having made points, I now have a snazzy snow cave to work with.)

It looks like March is coming in cold and miserable. Good. Believe it or not, the old saw "in like a lion and out like a lamb" tends to hold true up here.

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/28/11 03:33 AM)

#218153 - 02/28/11 11:36 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good work with the kids. You can't buy those sorts of memories and, assuming you are like me, can use all the points you can get.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 376 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.