Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#217801 - 02/22/11 07:35 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: TeacherRO]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
One thing to consider in the case of a large event is that everyone else will be doing the same thing that you want to do:

- Hurricane threat? Suddenly everyone gets bottled water.
- Large scary city event? Everyone heads home all at once.
-Blizzard coming? better buy a shovel.

How do plan for these mass reactions?

Stock up ahead of time is what we do up here in the mountains.
Multiple shovels, cases of bottled water, 10+ 5g water containers stored in cool shady place. Wood stove for heat.

Work from home, wife works 1hr away, and we've discussed if she had to walk home due to numerous possible causes.

Heavy snow.. deal with it every winter. Generators, shovels, plow for ATV, 60hp tractor works awesome as a plow and great for driving through up to 2.5' of snow easily. (More if I take time, or plow too.)

We just got our power back Sunday it was out since Thursday AM, it then went out again last night for a couple hours.

If you plan to deal with power outages, and have a generator but no transfer switch you will need numerous extension cords, and power strips to make life much easier.

I am also going to purchase an aux fuel tank for my Honda EU2000. Running my office, and our fridge we get about 7-9hrs of run-time from 1 tank. This also includes lights, misc charging, and a couple hours of my 50" Plasma TV. Having to go and add fuel 2-3 times a day (runs about 16-18hrs a day) gets tedious especially when it's freezing temps, slippery, and snowing!

This is out my kitchen window a couple days ago.
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3410/kitchenwindow.jpg
Part of driveway after an hour or so with the tractor.
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7947/driveway2plowed.jpg

#217802 - 02/22/11 07:42 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: JBMat]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: JBMat
An asteroid is coming to hit the Earth. Buy lots of beer and chips and have a party, it's all over but the shouting kids.

As you are having your party, this song, by R.E.M., needs to be on your play list.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217805 - 02/22/11 07:57 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is instructive to read the posts re the NZ earthquake (thanks, Dagny). Drinking water is a big problem. Those with minor injuries are being asked to self treat at home due to the load on the hospitals. Bugging in is the preferred strategy and people are being asked to stay off the roads and keep travel to a minimum.

#217817 - 02/22/11 08:53 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: LED]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: LED
Originally Posted By: Dagny
If you want to run to the store simply to pile on the preps then at least you should be under less stress than the totally unprepared masses.

Hmm, yet another list for me to make. The "pile on the preps" last minute, optional preps list. Up to now my plan was simple, buy gas if possible. Thanks for the added work Dagny. wink

Why settle for one year of ramen noodles when you can pick up another palette full at Costco?

:-)

#217818 - 02/22/11 08:56 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: hikermor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: hikermor
It is instructive to read the posts re the NZ earthquake (thanks, Dagny). Drinking water is a big problem. Those with minor injuries are being asked to self treat at home due to the load on the hospitals. Bugging in is the preferred strategy and people are being asked to stay off the roads and keep travel to a minimum.

Hikermor's right, the presently unfolding disaster situation in New Zealand is instructive. Here's one excerpt:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10708166

"There are queues of 50 cars outside every gas station, 10 people outside each ATM and a queue of 40 people just to get into New World - not at the checkout - this is just to get in the doors. And no bread or milk."

#217819 - 02/22/11 09:02 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: TeacherRO]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

It often pays to be a contrarian. It can be as simple as going around the amusement park clockwise so you spend half the morning entirely free of the crowds. Buying winter gear as late in the season as possible means you get less of a selection but you also get a huge discount.

Having a basic supply of what you need means you can avoid the rush and risk of being caught in an oncoming blizzard. There is a certain smug satisfaction sipping hot cocoa and watching people rush off through the storm to get vital supplies.

On the other hand you want to be reasonable. Wearing nothing but Speedos during a blizzard, or arctic parka in summer, is foolish. Being arbitrarily contrary doesn't mean you are right or wise. Conventional wisdom and timing works pretty well for most people most of the time.

#217821 - 02/22/11 09:15 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Jeanette -- semantics, we're good. Point is that there are some events that you need to prepare for and stay prepared for because they come with no warning. Other events will give some finite amount of time, but even then you may be competing with others for limited supplies available on the shelf. It's always best to think ahead and buy more than your immediate needs, if you have the resources to bank in extra supplies.

#217822 - 02/22/11 09:56 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Todd W...you might be interested in a pervious post of mine.. I made a siphon hose with prime bulb to run my Honda3500ES generator...it gravity siphons directly from elevated 6gal can...mine has easy access the 1/4 inch fuel line inlet on the carb...used a brass 1/4 barb x 1/4 male to a 5/16 barb x 1/4 female fitting to make the adapter to the fuel inlet hose...7feet of automotive fuel line, 1ft 1/4 inlet line, bulb from WallMart...if doing it again would select a 3/8 diameter for the fuel line as having more utility... siphon alone would make transfer easier, especially with some form of valve at terminal end...

#217840 - 02/23/11 01:08 AM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: Todd W]
LED Offline
Veteran

Wow Todd, I'm seriously jealous. Thanks for the photos.

#217848 - 02/23/11 03:19 AM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: Frisket]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
'I love the "Get a hand radio so if the cell network goes down ... you can communicate with your family" advice. If followed that means EVERYONE will have one and with only what 20 ... channels there would be no ability to even use them...'

I can absolutely, positively GUARANTEE that 'everyone' will NOT get one, for all the denial reasons that have often been posted.

You can do PSAs every 15 minutes on every television and radio station, hand-deliver books of info with pictures to every man, woman and child in America, and you can preach it in churchs and shout it from the rooftops, and IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!

One day at my previous job, I asked my immediate coworkers if they prepared for anything the PNW is likely to offer. One did, the others hadn't done anything. I asked what their plan was if we had a major quake or Mt. Rainier blew her top. The answer:

"I guess we'll just sit and wait a few days for the government to rescue us."

Goodnight, Gracie.

Sue

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.