Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#217731 - 02/22/11 03:28 AM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: Russ
Other areas will have tornadoes and hurricanes (near zero warning vs multiple days warning).

Tornados don't have multiple day warnings. When we receive that tornado warning, we only have a few minutes.

Jeanette Isabelle
Neither do earthquakes. Read the entire post again, there is a comparison being made.

Earthquakes and tornadoes have near zero to zero warning (come as you are). Hurricanes and wildfires will have more than zero to maybe a week depending on proximity, path fuel . . .

#217733 - 02/22/11 03:39 AM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Stocking up with extra food and water is the easiest thing to do. It's a ONE TIME cost. Then, it's just a matter of buying and rotating stock.

#217734 - 02/22/11 03:46 AM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Other areas will have tornadoes and hurricanes (near zero warning vs multiple days warning).

Tornados don't have multiple day warnings. When we receive that tornado warning, we only have a few minutes.
Neither do earthquakes. Read the entire post again, there is a comparison being made.

I did read the post. As cited in my post, tornados were grouped with hurricanes unless the "near zero warning" is in reference to tornadoes, not earth quakes.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217756 - 02/22/11 10:59 AM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: TeacherRO]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I love the "Get a hand radio so if the cell network goes down like it did in 911 you can communicate with your family" advice. If followed that means EVERYONE will have one and with only what 20somthing? channels there would be no ability to even use them over the amount of chatter from the 100s if not 1000s of people on the same channels. Its hard enough to use them on a family vacation without running into other people ont he same channels.

Edited by Frisket (02/22/11 11:00 AM)

#217773 - 02/22/11 02:53 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: TeacherRO]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
From my understanding of the orginal posting for this question was "how do you deal with the mob mentality of rushing out to buy equipment/food that is needed."

The answer that I have has already been stated, Pre buy for almost every precivable disaster. Take the time to stock up on food and gear you may need. don't rush out adn buy it all at once. but rather buy it over six monthsl or a year. And for the love of all things good, do not try to buy anything when the mobs are trying to buy it.

#217776 - 02/22/11 03:20 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: Tyber]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
From my understanding of the orginal posting for this question was "how do you deal with the mob mentality of rushing out to buy equipment/food that is needed."

Form an orderly Queue

I remember I was in Mexico on Holiday and an American fellow queue jumped the line at the hotel pool bar. If this had happened in the UK a policeman might have been called. wink

#217778 - 02/22/11 03:28 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The OP also touched on crowded travel routes. That is something that is a daily occurrence here in SoCal - it is known as "rush hour." If you must travel, try to be a contrarian and find the path less traveled, or get ahead (or, sometimes, behind) the crowd. The measures you need to have in mind vary tremendously depending upon your circumstances. People in Rapid City have a much less severe problem than those in Los Angeles.

I like to include a bicycle in my plans. They can thread through a crowded freeway with ease and take to side roads when necessary.

#217782 - 02/22/11 04:33 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Preparedness is all about not having to join the mobs at stores and being able to survive for some period of time with what you have on you -- at home or away. I'm pretty well prepared for all but the end-of-days scenarios or being on travel when something occurs.

If you have to run to the store when a blizzard or hurricane is forecast, you're not prepared. Post-disaster, you may have to run to the store if your preps are inaccessible because an earthquake, tornado or something else severely damaged your home. If you want to run to the store simply to pile on the preps then at least you should be under less stress than the totally unprepared masses.

If an asteroid is headed our way I'll be busy loading as much as possible of what I already have in and on the car to head for higher, less populated ground. Among the things going on the car are two mountain bikes and bike trailers.

For urban preparedness, I'd advise starting preps with:

cash - gas - water - food - radio - light (headlamp/flashlight/candles)

I have these items pretty well covered at home and in the car. Water is the most difficult for long-term situations. Just about any disaster scenario includes potential for power outage -- which if long enough is itself a disaster.

#217783 - 02/22/11 04:54 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: Dagny]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Dagny
If you want to run to the store simply to pile on the preps then at least you should be under less stress than the totally unprepared masses.

Hmm, yet another list for me to make. The "pile on the preps" last minute, optional preps list. Up to now my plan was simple, buy gas if possible. Thanks for the added work Dagny. wink

#217798 - 02/22/11 07:29 PM Re: Event pre-thinking...Yep. Everyone's doing that [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Two words - Be Prepared.

Snow is forecast for next week, maybe. Prepare today with what you will need next week.

You live in hurricane/tornado/earthquake alley. Prepare now for no notice/short notice events.

An asteroid is coming to hit the Earth. Buy lots of beer and chips and have a party, it's all over but the shouting kids.

Being truly prepared means that you worry about stuff you can change, and don't worry about stuff you can't change.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.