The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#217803 - 02/22/11 07:53 PM Re: water bottles in hot vehicle [Re: xavier01]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Honestly I don't think you're going to poison yourself drinking a .5 liter plastic bottle of water thats been in your car during an AZ summer. I live here to and always keep bottles in my vehicles. It sucks drinking hot water but better than no water.

#217812 - 02/22/11 08:23 PM Re: water bottles in hot vehicle [Re: fooman]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: fooman
Originally Posted By: Russ
fooman -- that is to kill organisms in the water, not necessarily heat the bottle "the UV-radiation of the sun kills diarrhoea (sic) generating pathogens".

Well, anything you leave out in the tropical sun is going to get hot pretty quick. haha
Yep, but their point was to kill the microbes with UV, not heat. As I understand it is sustained heat and a closed plastic container that gets the leaching chemicals to a level that you can taste. Also, if you are using plastic to make relatively dirty water safe, the least of your worries is a slight leaching of plastic in the short time it sits in the bottle exposed to ambient ultraviolet. OTOH if you have Arrowhead bottled water sitting in your trunk all summer, at the end of August it won't taste as good as when fresh. It's all relative.

I'm thinking a Brita filter used on either after sitting in the bottle could improve the taste.

#217825 - 02/22/11 10:24 PM Re: water bottles in hot vehicle [Re: NightHiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Yes, but I wish he wouldn't use those esoteric learned terms full of acronyms (crock of BS? - braised salmon?)

#217827 - 02/22/11 11:13 PM Re: water bottles in hot vehicle [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I love braised salmon . . good stuff. Sure, the water will be palatable, but it can still be made to taste better.

That said, while I do leave water in the truck, it's in the truck bed under a white bed cover, so it doesn't have the benefit of that greenhouse effect you get with a car.

#217847 - 02/23/11 03:06 AM Re: water bottles in hot vehicle [Re: xavier01]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

For what its worth, my main water store in the truck is a 20 liter no name plastic jerry can.

#217963 - 02/25/11 10:56 AM Re: water bottles in hot vehicle [Re: xavier01]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I believe that the plastic water bottle, along with plastic food can linings will be ushered out soon. Although a survival situation presents some unique challenges and choices, for EDC of water we have switched to stainless steel bottles.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/04/28/water-bottles-health.html

#217988 - 02/25/11 09:34 PM Re: water bottles in hot vehicle [Re: xavier01]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I can't drink most bottled water, the kind in disposable bottles, I can taste the plastic. So knowing I can taste it I kind of believe that plastic is not good for you to drink from since there is something coming off in it.

#217993 - 02/25/11 10:44 PM Re: water bottles in hot vehicle [Re: xavier01]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
If you can taste "something" in the water after letting the bottle sit in your car, then it's logical to conclude that "something" that wasn't originally in the water is leaching from the plastic. With #1 PET bottles, the main suspect, from what I have read in the past, is phtalates, although that may or may not be what is imparting any taste to the water.

Most plastics that bottled water come in are not as durable as I would like. The soft, milky LDPE plastic jugs are notorious for springing leaks while being stored in a car. I haven't yet had a PET bottle leak yet, but unless it was a thicker-walled PET container and not the thin, crunchy kind of bottle, I wouldn't really consider storing them in a hot car for months at a time.

#217995 - 02/25/11 11:15 PM Re: water bottles in hot vehicle [Re: Eugene]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I can't drink most bottled water, the kind in disposable bottles, I can taste the plastic. So knowing I can taste it I kind of believe that plastic is not good for you to drink from since there is something coming off in it.

Probably not as good for you as it might be. For relative context consider the water our ancestors drank. I've drank water out of a ditch and used a tube to pull it up from a crack in rocks and our ancestors did much the same thing.

Absolutely pure and absolutely safe would be great but I don't typically drink much bottled water so drinking a few liters of less than absolutely healthful water isn't a big deal. Simple fact is that health effects of drinking bottled water, even in the worse case, is so small that they need to concentrate the suspected chemicals and limit test animals to only drinking this mix to show any consistent effect.

Drinking a few gallons of bottled water during an emergency doesn't phase me. It also has to be pointed out that while PET bottles do leach tiny amounts of contaminates, if you buy bottle water in polyethylene containers, typically the larger one gallon and up milky looking containers, your exposure is essentially zero for the materials of concern.

#218000 - 02/26/11 01:14 AM Re: water bottles in hot vehicle [Re: xavier01]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I should have mentioned that I wasn't talking about tasting the plastic in bottled water that had sat in a car for months,I can taste it in a bottle of water straight off the shelf. So this tells me that the plastic is leeching something.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.