Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#217682 - 02/21/11 08:57 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Reactor [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
HJ,

Thanks for another exciting wink episode!! I enjoyed it very much. This one my wife may like as well, because I am not interested in rushing out to buy one (unlike the Borde) Thanks also for letting me look at another view. I always thought of the Reactor as a solution looking for a problem. But, then, I have spent much of my working life in high alpine or arctic conditions. Even in summer I have always taken a liquid fuel stove, but that is mostly for fuel availability issues. The thing that first got me to buy an XGK was the fact that I could use fuel from the aircraft (80 then 100LL from the piston engines and "kerosene" from the turbines) when white gas or coleman fuel were not available (both are common in the north). I only had to carry some empty bottles. Since I almost always went commercial air to the region, not having to look up fuel was a great advantage.

During winter, I never even tried anything but liquid fuel in the field. I will say that a propane grill does not work very well at -40 - then most are not wanting to grill at that temp (some think I am a little strange). The natural gas grill worked fine but the gas lines were buried and well above 0 F.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Hi, Jerry,

Thanks for sharing your very practical experience. My trips, even to Canada, seldom get below -9.

By the way, you're talking about next week's stove, the XGK. The XGK (well, it's immediate anscestor the model 9) is the stove that started the great outdoor stove revolution of 1973. More on that in this week's blog post.

Your thoughts about fuel for the XGK point out a very important issue: The "pragmatics" of stoving. The best stove in the world won't work if you can't get fuel for it. Particularly in remote area or distant lands, something like an XGK that can burn darned near any petroleum product known to man -- and get away with it -- is something not to be dismissed.

There was another thread on the forums recently about what stove would be good for a serious disaster. My vote was the XGK. It's packable if roads are out. It's simple. It's tough. It's truly multi-fuel.

The late author, Colin Fletcher, relates a story where he grabbed the wrong fuel for his XGK. He grabbed a combination of automotive gasoline and oil intended for his lawnmower. He discovered his mistake miles from any trailhead. With trepidation, he ran his XGK on it. For a week. The XGK ran, not as cleanly as normal but without any serious problems. Fletcher writes that he doubts any other stove would have been able to do that.

HJ

#217684 - 02/21/11 09:03 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Reactor [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Heh, that's one of the reasons I got an omnifuel. I run it on coleman fuel, but good to know it can burn almost anything when needed.

Makes you wonder though, which of the multi-fuel stove on the market can cope with the most variety, or the most ridiculous fuel?

#217690 - 02/21/11 09:44 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Reactor [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Not to apply thread drift to freely, but on that subject, the MSR DragonFly is another good multi-fuel stove. Although it seems similar to the XGK there must be some difference besides looks -- simmering maybe?

#217736 - 02/22/11 04:00 AM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Reactor [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Heh, that's one of the reasons I got an omnifuel. I run it on coleman fuel, but good to know it can burn almost anything when needed.

Makes you wonder though, which of the multi-fuel stove on the market can cope with the most variety, or the most ridiculous fuel?
My money is on the XGK. Technically, yes, the Omnifuel can burn more fuels since it can burn canister gas, but try running the crud you can run through an XGK, and an Omnifuel will choke. Nothing against the Omnifuel. I've got one, and it's built like a precision Swiss watch.

The XGK has a steel cable already threaded all the way through the fuel line and into the pre-heat loop that can be pushed/pulled to decoke/scour the line.

The Omnifuel has a valve down by the burner. This gives one greater control over the flame, but it's harder to maintain than the valveless XGK type fuel line.

The XGK has a really large diameter pre-heat loop. It can take some pretty crude fuels: diesel, third-world kerosene, low refined fuel oil, etc.

In a disaster, every truck, motorcycle, and car fuel tank becomes a filling point.

HJ

#217737 - 02/22/11 04:32 AM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Reactor [Re: Russ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Not to apply thread drift to freely, but on that subject, the MSR DragonFly is another good multi-fuel stove. Although it seems similar to the XGK there must be some difference besides looks -- simmering maybe?
Yes, the Dragonfly has a second valve down by the burner. It simmers like a dream. The XGK can be turned down, but it doesn't really simmer.

The trade off is though that the very simple XGK is very, very reliable. The Dragonfly requires more maintenance.

HJ

#217752 - 02/22/11 06:55 AM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Reactor [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
[quote=Hikin_Jim
In a disaster, every truck, motorcycle, and car fuel tank becomes a filling point.

[/quote]

If we are really up against it in a full blown disaster, all of these fuel containers dispense liquids that can be used to start a good old fashioned campfire - no need for our yuppified camp stoves whatever. Just stand well back when you put a match to the "Boy Scout Fire Starter."

There are disadvantages to a campfire - they are inefficient, etc., but they have provided heat and cooking for thousands of years.

#217758 - 02/22/11 11:09 AM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Reactor [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Are you going to be reviewing the MSR pocket rocket? Id really like if you reviewed the MSR pocket rocket. Could you review the MSR pocket rocket? I hope you review the MSR pocket rocket.

#217815 - 02/22/11 08:37 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Reactor [Re: Frisket]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Are you going to be reviewing the MSR pocket rocket? Id really like if you reviewed the MSR pocket rocket. Could you review the MSR pocket rocket? I hope you review the MSR pocket rocket.
Sounds like you already like the PR. No need to wait for my review. lol.

Yes, I will eventually get to the Pocket Rocket.

Upright canister stoves, of which the Pocket Rocket is one, are the most common type of pack stove sold today. The differences between one stove and another are typically subtle, although there are things to look for. I'll cover those when the time comes.

HJ

#217816 - 02/22/11 08:47 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Reactor [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
If we are really up against it in a full blown disaster, all of these fuel containers dispense liquids that can be used to start a good old fashioned campfire - no need for our yuppified camp stoves whatever. Just stand well back when you put a match to the "Boy Scout Fire Starter."
"Boy Scout Juice" dang sure does make a good fire starter. For those interested in preparedness, that is one aspect of liquid fueled stoves that shouldn't be overlooked. If you take a dunk in the drink during a winter stream crossing, that ol' Boy Scout Juice might just be your best friend.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
There are disadvantages to a campfire - they are inefficient, etc., but they have provided heat and cooking for thousands of years.
Indeed, hence my preference for having some kind of stove. An XGK is a good one since it can burn so many things. Gas stations, hardware stores, sporting goods stores, garden stores, paint stores, vehicles, etc. are all field expedient fuel points.

Alcohol stoves are also good. In some states (that allow high proof liquor) every liquor store is a potential fuel point. In a pinch, you can burn isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), but it's a poor fuel and a sooty mess.

HJ

#217831 - 02/22/11 11:38 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Reactor [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Alcohol stoves are also good. In some states (that allow high proof liquor) every liquor store is a potential fuel point. In a pinch, you can burn isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), but it's a poor fuel and a sooty mess.

HJ

I use a copper pipe cap that holds about a ounce of liquid, its heavy but it wont crush like a soda can.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.