The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#217994 - 02/25/11 10:52 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: JBMat]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Tempered car windows can be quite tough. I've seen guys wail on them with steel ASP batons (which is essentially a collapsible steel pipe with a weighted tip) and have it take multiple strikes to shatter.

A small center punch (or actual spring loader glass breaker) works great though. For their weight, size, and price (or really, lack thereof) there is no reason not to have them handy. it's like the automobile equivalent to carrying a whistle outdoors. wink

Speaking of which, Benchmade's Houdini is an excellent version. You get a spring loaded glass breaker, a seatbelt cutter, whistle, and a flashlight all in one little keyring tool for $20 or less.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/30100

#218004 - 02/26/11 03:34 AM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I remember reports of punks/druggies carrying around an old knob-and-tube ceramic insulator to tap and shatter car windows. The goal of course is theft to support their habits/addictions. Does this still apply or has auto glass moved on? Should I toss one in my glove box?

-Doug, who has noticed abandoned knob-and-tube insulators in his garage and barn

#218011 - 02/26/11 11:27 AM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
try a spring loaded center punch from the ChiCom tool store near you... usually around $4, buy a couple and use them at the corner of the window for your test... let us know

#218388 - 03/04/11 11:44 AM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
... the book Build the Perfect Survival Kit by John D. McCann. I have the PSP but I'm needing an urban survival kit more so than a wilderness kit. I've tried converting my PSP into an urban kit without much success.

I'd recommend adding Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose" to your bedside reading list. He isn't all about having the latest and greatest gear and gadgets, but rather being practical, resourceful and proactive. He is deadly serious about preparation, and this book focuses on urban survival and average people and families.

His presentation style took me a little while to get used to, but now I find him almost easier to read than other authors. (i also appreciate his "don't do anything stupid" approach.) I've added his first book "98* The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" to my reading list.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218389 - 03/04/11 11:52 AM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: Paul810]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Paul810

It might also be a good idea to include a hard hat (or maybe a bicycle helmet if that would work better for the user). They're somewhat bulky to carry and annoying to wear though, so I find that I carry/wear them probably less than I should. blush

i met a grizzled Scout leader this weekend that wears a hard hat everytime he goes off-roading. he says it's too versatile to leave at home - protection from sun, protection from BANGs (said he started using it after banging his head on his portaging trip), collecting water, gathering edibles, campfire chair...

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218393 - 03/04/11 02:35 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Old-school oil riggers used to wear metal hard hats with a full wrap-around brim. I think they were made of aluminum. Potentially a highly useful item and maid-of-all-work.

Looks like some companies are aiming for a comeback of the metal hard hat. No affiliation. http://www.tasco-safety.com/hhats/aluminum-metal-hard-hats.html

#218394 - 03/04/11 03:10 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I used to wear an aluminum hard hat but they were replaced by nonconductive plastics because of electrical considerations. In an urban environment that would be an important consideration.

I am a strong believer in protecting the head, having treated way too many cases of cranial trauma, a fair percentage of which were instantly fatal, and several where head protection saved a life.

There are now various models of climbing and kayaking helmets that are protective and comfortable.

#218396 - 03/04/11 03:20 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
There are now various models of climbing and kayaking helmets that are protective and comfortable.

Yeah, but show me one that keeps your thoughts private AND boils water! laugh

#218397 - 03/04/11 04:07 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I've added his first book "98* The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" to my reading list.

To me the best preparedness book I've ever read. I've given about a dozen of these away as gifts and every person thanks me later.

#218398 - 03/04/11 04:32 PM Re: Urban Survival Kits [Re: comms]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: comms
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I've added his first book "98* The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" to my reading list.

To me the best preparedness book I've ever read. I've given about a dozen of these away as gifts and every person thanks me later.

It's accessible, direct, entertaining, and still has a lot of good information in it. It's the only preparedness book I've ever been able to get my wife to read.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.