The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#217567 - 02/20/11 03:36 AM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Todd W]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey

Campmor is evil. I went there last weekend (their store is about an hour from my home) to get a new sleeping bag and walked out $700 later with a new down sleeping bag, a new pack, cookset, water filter, hammock, Crocs, hiking shoes, socks, liners, another PSP and a bunch of other doo-dads. Wonderful selection, excellent pricing and knowledgeable staff without the slick corporate environment of REI or EMS (not that I don't also shop REI and EMS).

#217573 - 02/20/11 12:09 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Mark_M]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Mark_M

Campmor is evil. I went there last weekend (their store is about an hour from my home) to get a new sleeping bag and walked out $700 later with a new down sleeping bag, a new pack, cookset, water filter, hammock, Crocs, hiking shoes, socks, liners, another PSP and a bunch of other doo-dads. Wonderful selection, excellent pricing and knowledgeable staff without the slick corporate environment of REI or EMS (not that I don't also shop REI and EMS).

Mark, you and I must NEVER go shopping together.
-Blast

p.s. What cookset did you get?
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#217574 - 02/20/11 12:12 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
like a few others, i prefer to look to more general suppliers. as a general rule, the more specialized, the more expensive and gimicky. wal-mart, cabela's, bass pro shops, etc. all have a great selection at reasonable prices. my other favorite trick is to search second-hand stores. there's often great tresures there just witing to be discovered.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#217576 - 02/20/11 01:40 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Mark_M]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_M

You say that like it's a bad thing

I can't go into Cabela's intending on spending X and end up spending $$
Preparedness is a good thing

#217582 - 02/20/11 02:30 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Mark_M]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I do think every good outdoors person needs to make that once in a lifetime pilgrimage to Campmor in New Jersey.

Many years ago, while attending a wedding in the area, I made my pilgrimage. I have to admit that I expected something glitzy and slick, but found a surprisingly small store - almost reminded me of a hardware store - with a somewhat overwhelming density of nice outdoor gear. Not sure if their store has changed since then.

I have to admit that it was kind of funny to see all those products in person that I'd seen over and over again in their catalogs. It would be kind of like coming across Winnie the Poo, Piglet, and Tigger in the woods, being shocked at actually seeing them, but at the same time feeling them to be all too familiar. Hmmm, maybe Santa Claus and the elves would have been a better example.

Ken

#217587 - 02/20/11 04:35 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Also right up there is the LLBean complex of stores in Freeport, Maine. I find a lot of their current offerings entirely too yuppified and impractical (a lot of cotton!), but their retail stores had an expanded line and a lot of goodies that were quite useful. It was a well run joint with knowledgeable sales personnel.

#217589 - 02/20/11 05:29 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
. . ."Country Club and Yacht Club Apparel." The kind of clothes people in Montauk wear when trying to decide between the red or the white wine with the chicken or the fish.. . .
smile Funny, but I tend to agree. They are about wannabee looking fashion where as I tend toward fashion following function. Good polo shirts.

#217597 - 02/20/11 07:49 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I drive right by the Sportsmans Guide warehouse frequently. One of my favorite dead-of-winter activities is to go to their catalog clearance store and wade through the stuff that guys send back for refunds. Some of it is trash, some of it is treasure.

#217599 - 02/20/11 08:24 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
While I'd love to plug my own site, the reality is that 99% of my own needs for survival gear are serviced in one of three places:

www.nitro-pak.com
www.sportsmansguide.com
and www.amazon.com (which all my store is is a specialized amazon affiliate store so that's basically my #1 stop)

Beyond that if you can't find it on amazon, you'll probably have to buy it direct from the vendor.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#217609 - 02/20/11 09:33 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 391 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.