The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#217522 - 02/19/11 04:18 PM Survival Product Web Sites
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
After reading may accolades of John McCann's web site and a post from John himself, I am venturing out beyond my "four walls" when it comes web sites which sell innovative, quality survival gear. I'm a fan of Adventure Medical Kits, having bought a number of their products. What are other recommended sites which sell quality, innovative survival gear?

Jeanette Isabelle

#217523 - 02/19/11 04:37 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I recommend REI, a buyers coop with a wide variety of outdoor products frequently useful in "survival" applications.

I have been a satisfied member since 1963.

#217527 - 02/19/11 05:11 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
The good news is that you will some be an expert yourself as you see and use and share.

For my money, there are two places to shop: big retailers of long and respected quality and customer service [examples are REI and Cabela's], and boutique retailers who have specialty world-beating, better-mouse-trap products [examples are UST, ACR, and AMR].

About the former, there will be relatively wide agreement which you can detect by reading here and other survival / outdoor fora like ETS. About the latter, debate will rage [and as new products and retailers emerge things will change so will opinions] - detecting these requires personal experience and watching the opinions of those you trust on fora like ETS.

#217529 - 02/19/11 05:46 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: dweste]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dweste
boutique retailers who have specialty world-beating, better-mouse-trap products [examples are UST, ACR, and AMR].

About the latter, debate will rage [and as new products and retailers emerge things will change so will opinions] - detecting these requires personal experience and watching the opinions of those you trust on fora like ETS.

That is a good way to put it. I am on the lookout for the most innovative "mousetraps." By "innovative" I mean the best bang per weight and volume like the original PSP.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217534 - 02/19/11 06:58 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
It sounds like you're looking for sites that sell their own unique products or that put together a product ... as opposed to sites that are selling somewhat standard commercially available products.

In my case when I'm in the market for some piece of gear I read and read ... and read. Once I figure out what I want to buy then I start searching for sites that sell that product, weighing prices with my perception of the reliability of the sites.

I've ended up purchasing gear from all over the place on the web, and can't think of any one side that stands out from the others. There's campmor.com, rei.com, equipped.org (of course), bestglide.com, knifecenter.com, campingsurvival.com, ragweedforge.com, brightguy.com, maptools.com, forestry-suppliers.com, outdoorsafe.com (Peter Kummerfeldt's site - I like his small 72 hour kit so it can always be carried and dress to survive philosophies).

I'm sure there are lots of others, but these come to mind first.

Ken K.

#217536 - 02/19/11 07:13 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA

#217537 - 02/19/11 07:35 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
I'd like to add our site to the list:

LifeView Outdoors

#217539 - 02/19/11 07:58 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: KenK]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
In my case when I'm in the market for some piece of gear I read and read ... and read.

I thoroughly read too. When I discovered the PSP, I carefully examined everything before I bought it. When I see something, and I can't find much information, I carefully examine it based what I have already learned. Adventure Medical Kits has a fancy new toy and while I'm sure it could be used to save a life, it's too thick to comfortably fit in a pocket.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217554 - 02/19/11 11:19 PM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I've come to a point in my "Survivalogy" that I prefer to make my own kits. I enjoy it and I think it's important to know what you have in there and be familiar with it.

And believe me...I make kits far too frequently. Like I said before...I once joked to John McCann that I probably paid for him to get a new canoe.

I've used and attempted to modify my PSP enough to be familiar with it. However, I guess there is something to be said about building one's own survival kit.

After the survival kit discussion in the "Whistles" thread, I have gone over John McCann's web site and have put together some ideas on perhaps building a survival kit to fit my needs and skill level.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217558 - 02/20/11 12:36 AM Re: Survival Product Web Sites [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

My favorite survival gear sources are not specialized in survival gear. This helps avoid the specialized gear markup.

For survival food I favor my local big-box grocery store. Look closely and you can find a wide selection of long-life dehydrated and freeze dried food that is comparable to anything you find at the preparedness sites.

If you are careful, and carefully select the items you intend to buy, you can find good quality camping gear at discounters like Target and Wally. Unsuitable for a summit attempt on K-2, or going to the moon, if you avoid the lowest end items you have suitable reliability and capacity for most situations at a fraction of the high-end price.

Knives and multi-tools I get from the discount or hardware store, both of which sell a smaller selection of the same items I would normally buy.

Generally the less specialized the store you buy any item from; the less you pay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.