Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#217458 - 02/18/11 05:04 PM Re: Snake Boots [Re: NightHiker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
On the other hand, in my 20 years as a military medic I treated several snake bite victims - but NONE of them were bitten below the waist and the majority of them were easily preventable by "behavior modification"

I think I've read somewhere that the majority of snake bites were on the hands and lower arms of 20-something males trying to handle snakes. If true then simply not going out of your way NOT to handle snakes should prevent these incidents. smile

#217465 - 02/18/11 06:06 PM Re: Snake Boots [Re: bsmith]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: bsmith
If you are lucky enough to see one - you are lucky. i've known many rangers who have spent their careers outdoors and never saw one.

Now you know another. Partly because I spent sixteen years on the Channel Islands, where they are unknown, but that is counterbalanced by a lot of time in Arizona cougar country, where I did observe mountain lion prints covering my tracks on a trail. I did see lots of Wildcats, though (I am a University of Arizona alumnus).

#217476 - 02/18/11 09:42 PM Re: Snake Boots [Re: CWilson]
CWilson Offline
Stranger

Quote:
I think I've read somewhere that the majority of snake bites were on the hands and lower arms of 20-something males trying to handle snakes.

Where do those Baptist preachers figure in the snake handling data? cool And speaking of those "rare" cougars, better check these photos. Yikes!

#217480 - 02/18/11 10:11 PM Re: Snake Boots [Re: NightHiker]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Now THAT is incredibly abnormal. I've only seen a couple cougars (never more than 1 at a time) in the wild and come across the tracks of a mother with 3 youngsters with her but that is absolutely insane - looks like two adults with their cubs? I'm no expert but I'll bet that is an exceptionally rare occurrence, not much to worry about if you happen to stumble on that group, they'd be too busy fighting over who gets to eat you to actually get around to it

to the right of those photos there's a link to a story about why there are so many in one place at one time.

as those photos were taken at night with a trail camera you'd probably not even know they were there - except for their tracks in the morning.

this is the one i'd worry about:

#217482 - 02/18/11 10:21 PM Re: Snake Boots [Re: CWilson]
CWilson Offline
Stranger

How about paying drunken young studs to go throw rattlesnakes at the cougars? cool

#217483 - 02/18/11 10:23 PM Re: Snake Boots [Re: CWilson]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: CWilson
How about paying drunken young studs to go throw rattlesnakes at the cougars? cool

here kitty, kitty....

#217486 - 02/18/11 10:53 PM Re: Snake Boots [Re: CWilson]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

For years I kept a copy of a page from a small town newspaper that had an account of how two local boys, good-ol-boys, got drunk in the woods, found a snake, and did the only logical thing ... decided to play catch with it. Odd thing, and a testament to the tolerance of snakes, is it was only after a couple tosses that the snake tried to bite anyone.

It also says something about country boys that once bit he tossed it to his buddy. Who got bit and tossed it back. Bad enough to be dumb and dumber but taking damage they tend to want to spread it around instead of seeing anyone else hurt. How dumb were they? The first guy bit caught the snake, and got bit again, when it was tossed to him.

#217487 - 02/18/11 11:03 PM Re: Snake Boots [Re: CWilson]
CWilson Offline
Stranger

That's what ya call country livin' cool

#217498 - 02/19/11 01:11 AM Re: Snake Boots [Re: CWilson]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Someone told me that if I see a rattler, I should pick up a medium-sized rock at a safe distance, and lob it in an arc toward the snake, which will cause the snake to track it in the air, strike at it, and get crushed."

No-no-no-no-no! That is an old GUYS tale! Right alongside the one where they say that if you have a few beers with the guys while your concrete is starting to set up in the wheelbarrow, all you have to do is add more water and stir briskly.

Old WIVES tales: it's a bad omen if a woman sees an open grave on her wedding day, and if you yawn or cough without covering your mouth, the Devil will jump down your throat and steal your soul.

There IS a difference.

Rattlesnake tossing... that's one I haven't seen yet in the Darwin Awards books...

Sue

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.