Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#217002 - 02/13/11 04:01 PM Re: Hypothermia Kit [Re: dweste]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

good suggestions above. I would add that the stove should be really simple to fire up - anything remotely confusing or fiddly won't happen when you are cold and confused.

Chemical heatpacks are a good idea imho

#217006 - 02/13/11 05:12 PM Re: Hypothermia Kit [Re: dweste]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
What hikermor and teslinhiker write about hypothermia and hyperthermia ring true to me - and you don't want to leave yourself in either scenario with relatively uneducated helpers. In Boy Scouts we use the first few hikes to educate and to assess younger Scouts along the trail - often enough you find a poorly insulated Scout (usually outfitted in sub-par gear by well-meaning parents) who struggles with early hypothermia along a wet hike. Cold wet feet, soaked to the bone, usually they can keep moving and generate enough heat to fend off affects, but they don't enjoy it, or the hike - and inevitably they would break down and begin to lapse into serious trouble if left untreated. And on one hike in Eastern Washington I found myself begin to experience hyperthermia after struggling up a steep arroyo behind more fit Scouts. The best hypothermia kit and treatment is early intervention - stopping, addressing insulation, adding water and food, give the subject some rest, then move along at a slow-moderate pace, and reassess down the trail. If you don't catch it early, break out sleeping bags, shelter, and assign some tasks, such as boiling hot liquid and prepping a bit of food, while more experienced adult leaders and Scouts see to getting their friend out of wet clothes, into dry if possible, and wrapping them up, one sleeping bag inside another, burrito style. Insulation will rapidly warm their core, and the subject should begin to revive. Wrapping a hypothermic victim is easy enough to do, and can be practiced by Scouts at a Troop meeting. When they know what to do, they carry that knowledge with them forever, and can even improvise for self-treatment if out hiking alone.

Hyperthermia is another subject, but just as important. I've had my brain heat up and now look out for symptoms in others on outdoor excursions, and kids in particular aren't quite as witting as to how thin the line can be before the effects of heat exhaustion can occur.

#217010 - 02/13/11 07:07 PM Re: Hypothermia Kit [Re: Lono]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Meet Hyper and Hypo, the evil Thermia twins. They both begin their assault on your body by attaching your mental faculties, so that you are stupid, just when you need to be smart.

#217011 - 02/13/11 07:20 PM Re: Hypothermia Kit [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Meet Hyper and Hypo, the evil Thermia twins. They both begin their assault on your body by attaching your mental faculties, so that you are stupid, just when you need to be smart.

Nice, this should become part of your sig!

John Lubbock

#217023 - 02/14/11 12:13 AM Re: Hypothermia Kit [Re: dweste]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas

#217024 - 02/14/11 12:19 AM Re: Hypothermia Kit [Re: Lono]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Lono
The best hypothermia kit and treatment is early intervention - stopping, addressing insulation, adding water and food, give the subject some rest, then move along at a slow-moderate pace, and reassess down the trail. If you don't catch it early, break out sleeping bags, shelter, and assign some tasks, such as boiling hot liquid and prepping a bit of food, while more experienced adult leaders and Scouts see to getting their friend out of wet clothes, into dry if possible, and wrapping them up, one sleeping bag inside another, burrito style. Insulation will rapidly warm their core, and the subject should begin to revive... When they know what to do, they carry that knowledge with them forever, and can even improvise for self-treatment if out hiking alone.

Very well said Lono!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#217028 - 02/14/11 02:37 AM Re: Hypothermia Kit [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I had a chance today to speak to my buddy, and it is clear I was more out of it than I recall. He says, for example, that I was in the water for about 20 minutes, while my recollection is 5 to 10 tops. He also recounted some of our "conversations" in which I attempted to take part; funny now, then not so much.

With this new information, I think it may be critical to simplify things so a dumbed-down brain has a better chance to make the right moves. Maybe forget the nice-in-theory layered clothing and substitute just a heavy, hooded sweat suit and thick socks. Dry, change, get into the bivy, and get core temperature back up with heat packs, hot food, and hot drink.

#217032 - 02/14/11 08:44 AM Re: Hypothermia Kit [Re: dweste]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

If I was traveling a lot in very cool weather, I would try and save up and buy what is below. Very compact with a purge valve on the water shed bag. I know it's expensive but what good is money if you don't make it. All have a lifetime warranty and your done. This is just a idea thrown out, you could do the same with lots of cloths for significantly cheaper, but for space, weight and reliability it's a idea. You could substitute with a sleeping bag but you won't be mobile. Anyway just a thought. This is one of those kits that there is no fuel to go bad,no fires to build, water doesn't affect it as long as it is in it's bag (300 foot rated) simple at 3 items, throw it in the car, pack or whatever and go. I use their Expedition Parka before with only a t-shirt on at 18 degrees and was not even remotely cold. Anyway just a idea that's all.

1. http://www.canada-goose.com/products-2/arctic-down-collection/arctic-rigger-coverall/

2. http://drybags.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scre...ry_Code=Duffels

3. Good beach towel to dry off

#217059 - 02/14/11 06:58 PM Re: Hypothermia Kit [Re: dweste]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA

#217063 - 02/14/11 08:14 PM Re: Hypothermia Kit [Re: dweste]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Jello.

warm and drink like hot coco. be sure to NOT get the sugarfree version.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.