The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217323 - 02/17/11 11:57 AM Best mid-size portable storage box
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Trying to find a reasonably priced, waterproof, man-portable, lockable, storage box that can shrug off sitting and standing on it.

In the size range of minimum: 40" long, 15" wide, and 12" deep; and maximum 48" long, 20" wide, and 18" deep. Big enough to hold a long gun or two, for example. Small enough that at least a couple fit somewhere inside most vehicles. As light in weight as is consistent with other parameters.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

#217339 - 02/17/11 03:13 PM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Pelican cases are a good place to start. There are other companies.

Standard Disclaimer.

My $.02

#217347 - 02/17/11 04:00 PM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: MoBOB]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
ActionPackers by Rubbermaid have worked for me for many years. I believe they have models within your parameters. They are durable, reasonably light (although one in your size range will be heavy when fully loaded), but not waterproof in the sense that they will not leak if fully immersed. I have used mine in wet environments (think surf landings) by duct taping around the lid. I have some that are more than ten years old that still work. They are not what I would call "cheap." but they are a good value. I have never been able to destroy one.

You might also look at military surplus. That is a good source for all kinds of unusual containers.

#217376 - 02/17/11 06:47 PM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
The pelican 1740 falls right into that size range at 44.16" x 16.09" x 14.00" and it's <$300.

#217416 - 02/18/11 12:37 AM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm more of a fan of dry bags than boxes. Hard cases take up the same amount of room empty or full. They also tend to be heavy and expensive. Dry bags are lighter, compact when empty, and fairly inexpensive.

#217435 - 02/18/11 06:55 AM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
LED Offline
Veteran

Another vote for Rubbermaid Actionpackers. You can, but I wouldn't sit on them. For rugged storage they're great.

#217437 - 02/18/11 11:02 AM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: LED]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

We sat on ours regularly, but a rather large individual probably shouldn't stand on them. They do have limits.

#217450 - 02/18/11 03:22 PM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: hikermor]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
"ActionPackers by Rubbermaid have worked for me for many years. I believe they have models within your parameters. They are durable, reasonably light (although one in your size range will be heavy when fully loaded), but not waterproof in the sense that they will not leak if fully immersed. I have used mine in wet environments (think surf landings) by duct taping around the lid. I have some that are more than ten years old that still work. They are not what I would call "cheap." but they are a good value. I have never been able to destroy one."

Do you have any experience with their performance in extended outdoor applications(UV degradation)? Do they have enough structural integrity to stack about 4 high with 40# in each? Do you use yours for long term storage or just to transport? Thanks.

#217453 - 02/18/11 03:43 PM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How about the 036800R - Stanley® FatMax® Xtreme™ Portable Truck Box

Slighty fatter than your specs but very durable and secure and can carry quite a heavy duty load with its integral handle and wheels.

http://www.toolreviews.ca/reviews//Stanley_truckbox/Stanley_truckbox.html

#217454 - 02/18/11 04:12 PM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: Kona1]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Kona1

Do you have any experience with their performance in extended outdoor applications(UV degradation)? Do they have enough structural integrity to stack about 4 high with 40# in each? Do you use yours for long term storage or just to transport? Thanks.

You can easily stack them four high, fully loaded. I routinely placed mine in the bottom of large cargo bags, and they often stood up under loads in excess of 150 pounds. I have used them for long term storage quite successfully - I have one parked under the bushes right now loaded with supplies which is doing quite well.

I have observed that the red handles do fade with long term exposure to sunlight, but so far that hasn't affected their utility.

I was confident that they were mouse proof after considerable experience storing food within while in camp. Then on one trip I found a neat hole nibbled in one; I think what happened is that a mouse got inside when the lid was off and he gnawed his way to freedom.

In my experience, ActionPackers have been the most satisfactory container I have come across. Their rigidity provides protection for the contents, something not as likely with a drybag. I would agree with Art's drybag comments earlier in this thread. On most of my trips I used both APs and dry bags, both to good effect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.