Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#217080 - 02/15/11 01:03 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It may be an oddball, but it is an effective oddball. Some years ago, I used one in an unplanned winter bivouac in deep snow. It was a night of a short period of sleep, wake up, fire up the Borde and drink something hot, doze off again. I went through this cycle about five times, arising at dawn with renewed energy and all twenty digits non frostbitten. Pretty good for a stove that only cost $8.00 then - definitely some years ago.

Even the lowest quoted current price is ridiculous. There are plenty of capable, less pricey alternatives.

But the Borde is a good stove. The filler cap blew out on me and I tossed it - not a good move. I still have its replacement, a Primus 71. I am sure that HJ will review the Primus 71 soon - right, Jim?

#217086 - 02/15/11 01:39 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
It may be an oddball, but it is an effective oddball. Some years ago, I used one in an unplanned winter bivouac in deep snow. It was a night of a short period of sleep, wake up, fire up the Borde and drink something hot, doze off again. I went through this cycle about five times, arising at dawn with renewed energy and all twenty digits non frostbitten. Pretty good for a stove that only cost $8.00 then - definitely some years ago.

Even the lowest quoted current price is ridiculous. There are plenty of capable, less pricey alternatives.

But the Borde is a good stove. The filler cap blew out on me and I tossed it - not a good move. I still have its replacement, a Primus 71. I am sure that HJ will review the Primus 71 soon - right, Jim?
Yes, the Borde is in high demand. Like I say, it has kind of a cult following. I do think it's a better than average stove, but I am in a bit of a quandary just why it is so sought after. I actually did pretty well to get one for $130.

Yes, I will review the Primus 71. The Primus 71 I have was given to me by my late uncle before he died in 2002. It was his workhorse stove for many years. It was my quest to restore his old Primus 71 to full working order that got me into stoves, and you bet I will review it. It's a long popular stove and for good reason. It is still popular to this day even though the last true Primus 71 was made in 1962 before Optimus bought the Primus name and started selling the similar but different Optimus 80 with a "Primus 71" sticker pasted to it.

I'm not quite sure just when I will review the Primus 71 since I'm still reviewing winter capable stoves. I've reviewed my lightweight picks (Xtreme, Simmerlite, Windpro, and Borde). I'm now going to go with some heavy hitters over the next two weeks: The MSR XGK II and the MSR Reactor. Thereafter I going to post some (relatively) inexpensive snow melters: The MSR Whisperlite and MSR Rapidfire. Then I will go high end and feature the Primus Omnifuel (another favorite) and the Optimus Nova (assuming that I can get mine up and running). That pretty much takes us through March. I haven't decided what to feature thereafter, but I've got to get my all time favorite stove in there, the Svea 123. Since the Primus 71 is in the same class as the Svea 123, it might be appropriate to feature it at that time.

Sheesh, so many stoves, so little time. lol.

HJ

#217089 - 02/15/11 01:59 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Very Cool Indeed! I've Never seen one either,Until Now!It is Almost as Odd as,The original Swiss Volcano Stove,of which I have seen in action,& Also in the working's of In-Action,lol! Good Stuff Jim,Thanx!

#217094 - 02/15/11 02:32 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Richlacal]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Actually, Rich,

The Swiss Ranger Volcano Stove is one of the options for a Borde. I don't own a Swiss Volcano, but I've seen pics here on this forum of the Borde being used with the Swiss Volcano. Looks like a pretty cool set up.

HJ

#217097 - 02/15/11 02:40 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Jim:

I have read on other outdoors websites that the current generation of Optimus Nova stoves are having some quality control problems. Have you experienced this or is your stove an older model?

John Lubbock

#217098 - 02/15/11 02:46 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Jim:

I have read on other outdoors websites that the current generation of Optimus Nova stoves are having some quality control problems. Have you experienced this or is your stove an older model?
I have heard about the Optimus Nova problems and the subsequent recall of the Nova and Nova+. Apparently, the take over by Katadyn wasn't completely smooth. To save money, Katadyn has moved all business and production units out of Sweden. Optimus is effectively no longer a Swedish company although there may still be a few sales personnel in Sweden.

I bought my Nova used; I'm not quite sure how old it is. I haven't had any serious problems with it, but since I haven't used it for a while, I will be doing my usual "pre-flight inspection" before firing her up.

HJ

#217101 - 02/15/11 02:53 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I have read on other outdoors websites that the current generation of Optimus Nova stoves are having some quality control problems.

Teslin_, I came across this link earlier today, including a recall notice: http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/

EDIT: H_J beat me to it. The link I found is a bit different, giving separate links for US, Canadian, and international owners.

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/15/11 02:57 AM)

#217104 - 02/15/11 03:15 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Regarding the OP:

Very cool, _Jim. Every real man wants one of those B-Bombs, just because they're so hardcore minimalist and freaking dangerous. Kinda like a stripped-down hand-built Harley, no suspension, no fenders, no wussy heat shield on the exhaust ... just pure angry torque.

Anyway, I'm enjoying all your reviews. Keep it up.

But I guess I'm old school -- if it ain't liquid fuel, it ain't a real stove. My old, much loved Svea is long dead, but you've got me pulling out my other long-neglected stoves just for fun. Last night it was a single burner, multifuel Coleman that hasn't run in 15 years. Added oil for the pump, Coleman fuel labelled 2001 (!), tightened a couple of fuel connections, and she lit up on the first match. Wow. Melted snow and made tea. Talk about memory lane.

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/15/11 03:16 AM)

#217110 - 02/15/11 05:15 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
LED Offline
Veteran

Man, that is one dangerous looking stove. I like it! Pulling one of those out on a camping trip would earn instant respect. Kind of like shaving with a straight razor.

#217118 - 02/15/11 02:17 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: LED]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LED
Man, that is one dangerous looking stove. I like it! Pulling one of those out on a camping trip would earn instant respect. Kind of like shaving with a straight razor.
lol.

HJ

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.