Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#217374 - 02/17/11 06:36 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Whistles are light and quite cheap. I can guarantee that they make the task of SAR folks considerably easier if you ever need assistance.

Redundancy is usually something I abhor, but whistles are a bit of an exception.

#217380 - 02/17/11 07:29 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I have the FOX40 and I am noticing a lot of redundancy on this site. Is it a good idea to have redundant whistles?

If you mean redundancy as in multiple whistles, yes, that's a good idea. On my hiking backpacks I attached a whistle on each of the main zippers. Why not? It is light, inexpensive and serves a practical purpose.

If you want inexpensive redundancy, then I recommend these fake Fox 40 whistles that are just as loud as the real thing:
http://www.amazon.com/Price-10-Pieces-Pe...4448&sr=8-2

(Do an Internet to find an even lower price elsewhere.)

#217382 - 02/17/11 07:41 PM Re: Whistles [Re: ireckon]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I have the FOX40 and I am noticing a lot of redundancy on this site. Is it a good idea to have redundant whistles?

If you mean redundancy as in multiple whistles, yes, that's a good idea. On my hiking backpacks I attached a whistle on each of the main zippers. Why not? It is light, inexpensive and serves a practical purpose.

I mean "redundant" as in a whistle in different locations. Example: One in my PSP, one on my key chain and one on a lanyard around my neck.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217383 - 02/17/11 07:42 PM Re: Whistles [Re: ireckon]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

If you want inexpensive redundancy, then I recommend these fake Fox 40 whistles that are just as loud as the real thing:

If you mean redundancy as in multiple SAME whistles, no, I don't see the point of that.

When I'm hiking I have a Fox micro and a small light on a break-a-way lanyard around my neck and another whistle and small light in my PSK, so yes redundancy. However, the Fox miro whisles are under $9 for a two-pack so I sure wouldn't go for anything fake and have it not work when you needed it. A good whisle carries much futher than yelling with lots less effort. The point of mulitple items is you could get separated from your pack or even break-a-way lanyard, then you would have the whisle in the kit which hopefully is in a pocket.

#217384 - 02/17/11 07:52 PM Re: Whistles [Re: rebwa]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: rebwa

If you mean redundancy as in multiple SAME whistles, no, I don't see the point of that.

When I'm hiking I have a Fox micro and a small light on a break-a-way lanyard around my neck and another whistle and small light in my PSK, so yes redundancy. However, the Fox miro whisles are under $9 for a two-pack so I sure wouldn't go for anything fake and have it not work when you needed it. A good whisle carries much futher than yelling with lots less effort. The point of mulitple items is you could get separated from your pack or even break-a-way lanyard, then you would have the whisle in the kit which hopefully is in a pocket.

I understand, but the GOGO whistle I posted is nearly indistinguishable from a Fox 40. There's nothing magical about Fox 40. You just trust the brand.

I have about ten Fox 40 whistles of different flavors. However, if I want an inexpensive whistle to attach to whatever, then I'll go with a GOGO. Also, if I give out a whistle, it won't be my Fox 40 whistle. It's almost a guarantee the whistle will be lost because I'm basically giving the whistle to somebody who doesn't fully appreciate its importance. (Otherwise, they would have brought a whistle of their own.) I don't know about you, but I literally do have to plan to give gear away. That's unavoidable for me.

#217392 - 02/17/11 08:31 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
. . . I've been wearing the same mini Fox 40 on a chain on my neck for at least five years. Still really loud and no problems.

I don't wear it on my key ring though. Things on my key ring get too beat up. Screwed up a good mini squeeze light that way.

HJ
I have a steel whistle on my key ring because it is bulletproof -- heavy, but close to indestructible. The louder, bulkier but not quite indestructible (polycarbonate/co-molded elastomer) Fox 40 Sharx stays in the back-pack.

#217399 - 02/17/11 09:16 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
When it comes to whistles, I don't particularly care if they are compact or not as the size of most whistles is small enough already.

I favor the Fox 40 whistles as I get them for free (courtesy of our local .gov) and also hand them out to others. I always carry two whistles when I am out. One around the neck on a lanyard and the second whistle is in the psk or pack as a backup.

John Lubbock

#217519 - 02/19/11 03:22 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I have the ACR,Fox 40 and the Fox Micro (from a AMK PSP) and prefer the ACR.I had an upper resperatory infection and couldn't blow effectively on either Fox whistle but the ACR I could.In a survival situation you could be stressed,paniced,tired all of which could make you sick.
To me ease of use equals two thumbs up.Additionally their shape lends them to packing well in a kit...

BOATMAN
John

#217559 - 02/20/11 12:41 AM Re: Whistles [Re: boatman]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Boatman -- try the Fox 40 Sharx. It has an opening like a Big Mouth Bass; getting good volume is near effortless IMO.

#217561 - 02/20/11 12:49 AM Re: Whistles [Re: Russ]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Tried the Sharx.Too big and to bulky for my liking.JMHO...

BOATMAN
John

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.