Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#217120 - 02/15/11 02:25 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: dougwalkabout]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Regarding the OP:

Very cool, _Jim. Every real man wants one of those B-Bombs, just because they're so hardcore minimalist and freaking dangerous. Kinda like a stripped-down hand-built Harley, no suspension, no fenders, no wussy heat shield on the exhaust ... just pure angry torque.
lol. Now there's a visual. Yeah, the Borde is the simplest white gasoline stove that I know of. Everything is right there where you can see it. No hidden parts that are hard to get to or anything like that.

Anyway, I'm enjoying all your reviews. Keep it up.

But I guess I'm old school -- if it ain't liquid fuel, it ain't a real stove. My old, much loved Svea is long dead
It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings... If you've still got your old Svea it might be possible to restore it. If the tank is cracked or something like that, probably not, but a lot of the time you just need a new jet, new valve packing, and a new wick.

... but you've got me pulling out my other long-neglected stoves just for fun. Last night it was a single burner, multifuel Coleman that hasn't run in 15 years. Added oil for the pump, Coleman fuel labelled 2001 (!), tightened a couple of fuel connections, and she lit up on the first match. Wow. Melted snow and made tea. Talk about memory lane.
I've heard of Coleman fuel being used that was 30 years old without problem. I've used 20 year old fuel without problem. Coleman fuel lasts a good long time if it's kept well sealed.

Your multi fuel sounds pretty cool. What model is it? 550? Got pix? smile

HJ

#217121 - 02/15/11 02:36 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
This week's stove is the iconic Borde Stove.

Thanks a lot, that was fun reading smile

I think the popularity of this stove is due to the small size and convenient form factor AND the genuine fascination for a design that is really awesome cool, dangerous and minimalistic while at the same time being practical. If you can live with the limitations, that is.

#217128 - 02/15/11 03:12 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for the review. I'm enjoying your stove writeups.

I have this stand which I've used with a Trangia. Supposedly fits the Borde
Stand

#217129 - 02/15/11 03:33 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Thanks a lot, that was fun reading smile
If I post interesting stoves, that's good. If I post stoves and write in a way that allows people to find stoves interesting, that's better. smile

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I think the popularity of this stove is due to the small size and convenient form factor AND the genuine fascination for a design that is really awesome cool, dangerous and minimalistic while at the same time being practical.
Yep, all that, particularly the fascination. This is a raw, downright uncivilized stove. I think many find that uncivilized aspect refreshing in this day and age.

HJ

#217130 - 02/15/11 04:05 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: fooman]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: fooman

Stand
I haven't tried one of those. How's the build quality? Any problems with stability or how it fits together? Does it fit a Trangia burner well?

HJ

#217149 - 02/15/11 10:56 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
for those of you who have an interest in the subtle differences in these stoves here are a couple types.note the filler cap ends and the pot holders/wind screens..

the one on the right is my user--the one on the left is in a safe deposit box to pay for any future hip replacements---OK..kidding--

#217157 - 02/16/11 12:42 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: fooman

Stand
I haven't tried one of those. How's the build quality? Any problems with stability or how it fits together? Does it fit a Trangia burner well?

HJ

The 3 pieces slipped together quite snugly. The Trangia burner is quite loose in it but I don't think it'll suddenly fall out. I've only used it on a pretty flat surface so I can't say much about stability on uneven ground.

#217162 - 02/16/11 01:08 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
HJ,

I am loving your stove of the week, but my wife may not!!! I think I could get interested in some new stoves.

Thanks,

Jerry

#217163 - 02/16/11 01:08 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
for those of you who have an interest in the subtle differences in these stoves here are a couple types.note the filler cap ends and the pot holders/wind screens..

Interesting! Are both of those windscreens Borde products? I've seen repros of the Borde products, so I'm curious if those are both actual Borde products. How much do those windscreens weigh?

Mine didn't come with a windscreen, although I guess I'm not too disappointed about that; they look heavy and a little unstable.

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
the one on the right is my user--the one on the left is in a safe deposit box to pay for any future hip replacements---OK..kidding--
Not by much...

HJ

#217164 - 02/16/11 01:11 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Borde Stove [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
HJ,

I am loving your stove of the week, but my wife may not!!! I think I could get interested in some new stoves.

Thanks,

Jerry
Careful! Never get more than one stove. They breed you know. wink

HJ

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.