Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#217330 - 02/17/11 01:26 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Blast]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Blast
ARC_Res-q_Whistle.html

Just as an aid to anyone googling it, that whistle is made by ACR not ARC; the website spelled it wrong. ACR is the PLB company.

#217335 - 02/17/11 02:26 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Fox10 Offline

John McCann here...

First of all, I would like to thank the many members who have had kind words about our site.

JeanetteIsabelle,

All products have varying opinions. I never base a decision on one person's opinion. Doug has his opinions about things, and I certainly respect those, so much so that I have touted his expertise in my new book due out this October. However, we all look at things differently. I have always thought the Brunton Survival Kit didn't deserve the name survival kit either, but then I didn't name it. I have always kept the compass and Fresnel and thrown out the remainder.

I agree with Doug about poor directions provided in the kit. However, I'm also a believer that if you need directions, you probably need some training. If you are sitting out in the wilderness in a survival situation, and you are basing your survival on the directions provided with your survival kit, you are probably in trouble. Having the devices are not nearly as important as knowing how to use them, and before you need them.

In my humble opinion, people should spend more time learning skills. As I said, earlier, I agree with Doug about the directions, but I'm also believe that if you need directions, you probably need some training. As Doug said about wasting time in regard to boiling water, "... a waste of time, resources, and energy a survivor might ill afford." You will never catch me without at least two compasses on me, and when I go into the field I have a professional mirror compass with me. But I still carry the floating compass in my wallet. I have found that something is better than nothing, and if that was all I had (unlikely but possible) it would be better than nothing. If I didn't have enough water to float a small disc, I probably would be in more trouble than trying to navigate. If the compass is being used as your primary you are already unprepared. I also know people who carry a good compass, but don't know how to use it. I'm not sure what is worse, a good compass with no skills, or a bad compass with good skills. There are a lot of variables.

In regard to our selection of products, we do try to offer those products, again in our humble opinion, that are worthy of survival. Our opinion sometimes run different than others. Many sites sell the UST Sparky, one hand fire starter. When we got a few examples from the manufacturer, we broke the first one in about 10 minutes, having it fall apart. We also didn't like the warning in the instructions "CAUTION! Do not spark more than three consecutive times as hot sparks can gather and damage the bar holder." Just didn't sound like a survival tool to us. We are not saying the product is not good, only that we made the decision not to sell it. Many sites do, and many people like it. The same goes with many other products out there. We have had many strong discussions with manufacturers who want us to sell their whole line, and we only want to sell a few products that we have selected. You will note that, besides the Brunton Kit (which has been discontinued by the way), we only sell kits we make or were designed by Doug, even though some of our suppliers make other kits.

The bottom line is we do our best. Our philosophy has never been to buy a ready-made kit, but to make your own. Our site was originated just for that purpose. We only started making kits after some of our customers convinced us to do so. No matter what your choice in kits, we advise everybody to get some training and skills before they are needed.

Respectfully,
John McCann

www.bepreparedtosurvive.com

#217336 - 02/17/11 02:36 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I have several of the Fox micro whistles in various kits, on all the key chains and on my neck lanyard. They are small enough to pack into kits and comfortable on either a key chain or lanyard as well as being durable and loud. They work for me and most importantly I always have at least one with me.

#217338 - 02/17/11 02:52 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Blast]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: sybert777
Answering a question asked earlier: Blast most likely used a Storm, Wind Storm, or Jetfire Whistle.

The night I won the shots at the Las Vegas bar I was carrying my ARC Res-Q whistle. The size vs. noise of this thing is amazing. It is about 2" long, 1" wide, and only 3/16" thick.
When I'm out in the woods I carry a Jet Scream whistle on my survival necklace, but I'm thinking of replacing it with the ARC Res-Q.

-Blast

Im sorry but isnt that alot like the ones that seemed to fail constantly in alot of the Survival kit reviews?

#217342 - 02/17/11 03:33 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Fox10]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Fox10
All products have varying opinions. I never base a decision on one person's opinion. Doug has his opinions about things, and I certainly respect those. . . . However, we all look at things differently.

John, I want to thank-you for your informative post. I too hold Doug Ritter in high regard; however, I do not agree with him on everything.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217352 - 02/17/11 04:15 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
widget Offline
Addict

I agree with John McCann, the Brunton is useful, the fresnel lens and the little floating compass are functional. I carried both while in the military as an easy to conceal backup.

When it comes to whistles, there are many that are loud enough to be recommended and for sure, consider durability. A broken whistle is not much good in an emergency. I personally carry the ACR mini, it is loud enough, durable and compact. In tests it rates well in all areas.

You may want to take a look at this test data, it does not include all whistles and of course, misses the newest ones. Still, excellent information.

http://www.woodsmonkey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73:who-gives-a-toot-the-whistle-tests-are-in&catid=66:navigation-and-signalling-gear&Itemid=79

As for "Survival Kits" in general, I have never seen one that has every item you need for every situation. Some have more items than others but across the board, no one kit has everything for everyone. I consider some pocket kits a token "survival kit" at best and definately no substitute for training and experience.

#217354 - 02/17/11 04:18 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Frisket]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Originally Posted By: sybert777
Answering a question asked earlier: Blast most likely used a Storm, Wind Storm, or Jetfire Whistle.

The night I won the shots at the Las Vegas bar I was carrying my ARC Res-Q whistle. The size vs. noise of this thing is amazing. It is about 2" long, 1" wide, and only 3/16" thick.
When I'm out in the woods I carry a Jet Scream whistle on my survival necklace, but I'm thinking of replacing it with the ARC Res-Q.

-Blast

Im sorry but isnt that alot like the ones that seemed to fail constantly in alot of the Survival kit reviews?

I haven't seen this. Do you have some links? Google didn't turn up anything but good reviews.
Thanks!
-Blast

Edited by Blast (02/17/11 04:21 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#217364 - 02/17/11 05:36 PM Re: Whistles [Re: widget]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: widget
As for "Survival Kits" in general, I have never seen one that has every item you need for every situation. Some have more items than others but across the board, no one kit has everything for everyone.

True. I consider my EDC better suited for me and my environment (Dallas, TX) than even the most innovative survival kit I have owned or seen, the original PSP.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217369 - 02/17/11 05:57 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Does anyone own both the FOX40 Miro and the ARC and can give me a comparison?

I have the FOX40 and I am noticing a lot of redundancy on this site. Is it a good idea to have redundant whistles?

Jeanette Isabelle

#217372 - 02/17/11 06:33 PM Re: Whistles [Re: rebwa]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: rebwa
I have several of the Fox micro whistles in various kits, on all the key chains and on my neck lanyard. They are small enough to pack into kits and comfortable on either a key chain or lanyard as well as being durable and loud. They work for me and most importantly I always have at least one with me.
I've been wearing the same mini Fox 40 on a chain on my neck for at least five years. Still really loud and no problems.

I don't wear it on my key ring though. Things on my key ring get too beat up. Screwed up a good mini squeeze light that way.

HJ

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.