Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#217462 - 02/18/11 05:44 PM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
We sat on ours regularly, but a rather large individual probably shouldn't stand on them. They do have limits.

Good to know.

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
How about the 036800R - Stanley® FatMax® Xtreme™ Portable Truck Box

Slighty fatter than your specs but very durable and secure and can carry quite a heavy duty load with its integral handle and wheels.

http://www.toolreviews.ca/reviews//Stanley_truckbox/Stanley_truckbox.html

Thanks for the link. If only it had larger wheels it would make a great camping tote.

#217468 - 02/18/11 08:07 PM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I've taken cheapo ~40 gal plastic lock boxes from Home Depot and added weatherproof stripping, from the Pelican website I think (just find a Pelican box of a similar size, then search for their replacement weatherstrip for that item - trim the end to fit). Check the box before you buy - it should have a rim on which to mount the weatherstripping, which so far every cheap box I've looked at has. You do not get all the strength and reliability of the Pelican (and weatherproofing is by no means warranted), but the box itself is reasonably weatherproof - and inexpensive.

Given that I only open / close my boxes every 3-6 months to pull or replace gear, this works great for me.

#217493 - 02/19/11 12:31 AM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Rubbermaid stuff always worth looking at but the ActionPackers are not strong enough, waterproof, or quite the form factor I am looking for.

I did not know Pelican cases went into the big sizes! They look pretty good and fit specs. Now I want to see one in the flesh, so to speak, and find the money. Best candidate so far!

I use lots of dry bags; I am migrating my way out of Ziplocks. I am routinely packing in several layers of drybags of different sizes into packs and my kayak. However, as tough as they are they are subject to wear, puncture, and unless you are into "bean bag" stuff, are not the things on which to sit, stand, cook, lay out grub, clean foraged plants and animals, or rely upon for any kind of visual or physical security.

#217502 - 02/19/11 01:41 AM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I use old coolers. Pick 'em up at yard sales for next to nothing. Most are very solid. No problem sitting on them or putting heavy loads on top of them. Lots of different shapes and sizes. I duct tape around the top for weather proof storage.

Big plus is that they don't attract attention (unless around teenagers).

Nomad

#217505 - 02/19/11 03:24 AM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: Nomad]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Nomad
I use old coolers. Nomad

Not a bad strategy if you can find some that are lockable and you can secure and waterproof the tops without too much modification or requiring something like re-taping each time after you get into them, though most are not big enough or tough enough for my purposes.

#217506 - 02/19/11 03:31 AM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I hadn't thought of it but Nomad has a point I've got a few large coolers filled with gear. I've had them for many years and they hold up well, especially if you keep them out of the sun. They aren't Mil-spec tough, if you want hard-core tough cases run the term 'mil-spec case' through your search engine, but they have been sat on, used as workbenches, and absorbed a lot of abuse without failing. Catch them on sale and they are pretty cheap.

Larger ones are suitable for handling that recurring problem; getting rid of the bodies.

#217511 - 02/19/11 07:35 AM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
LED Offline
Veteran

Yeti coolers my be closer to what you're looking for. Don't own one but they look pretty tough.

#217520 - 02/19/11 03:32 PM Re: Best mid-size portable storage box [Re: dweste]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Try a five gallon bucket with a GAMMA seal lid.The rim snaps on and and the lid screws in.Absolutly water proof and makes an excellent camp stool with a little added padding...

BOATMAN
John

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.