Topic Options
#217280 - 02/16/11 10:28 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Dagny]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: frediver
Don't laugh to much at the Brunton Kit, your right its not but the compass does work and the cards can sometimes remind you of things you already know but have forgotten due to the stress of the moment.

Who would be traveling with just a Brunton "Survival Kit?

It's more kit than most people carry.

From my understanding of Doug's review, that kit is more of a liability than an asset.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217290 - 02/17/11 12:23 AM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I EDC an orange Fox 40 Sonic Blast. GREAT whistle!

A reasonable size, pealess, and loud a heck.

#217300 - 02/17/11 01:58 AM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Who would be traveling with just a Brunton "Survival Kit?"

Layers, my dear, layers. Your "kit" should not be a singular package. It should have components spread through the layers of your setup: necklace, pockets, wallet, waist pouch, backpack, bush plane...

#217306 - 02/17/11 02:33 AM Re: Whistles [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Who would be traveling with just a Brunton "Survival Kit?"

Layers, my dear, layers. Your "kit" should not be a singular package. It should have components spread through the layers of your setup: necklace, pockets, wallet, waist pouch, backpack, bush plane...

Which is fine but this is what Doug had to say about the survival instructions which he rated as "Poor."

These three credit card size waterproof plastic cards are about 50% medical instructions and a half of one card is wasted on the "floating compass." Impractical advice includes the ubiquitous solar still with the usual illustration. Instructions for water purification are to "boil water 20 minutes; let stand 30 minutes; strain,"" a waste of time, resources and energy a survivor might ill afford. The best that can be said of the cards is that they are waterproof.

What if the same idea was applied but with a better set of instruction and the "floating compass" removed? I think the best thing about the PSP is the survival instructions. What if all PSP instructions, not specific to the kit, were placed on waterproof plastic cards? Add the Fresnel Magnifying Lens and we have a kit fit for a wallet.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217308 - 02/17/11 02:49 AM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The Brunton Survival Kit aside, I have to say that overall Bepreparedtosurvive.com has a lot of great products. I have enjoyed ordering from them in the past and will enjoy ordering from them in the future. As one of many examples, some of their ferro rod products are rather unique, like their ferro/mg devices. Also, they sell a blaze orange bandana that's genuinely blaze orange, no joking around, and still blaze orange after washing. I have also enjoyed ordering survival products from Countycomm.com. I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH EITHER WEBSITE.

By the way, I don't plan on getting the Brunton survival kit. It looks like it's more for busy urban people who don't want to practice but who want to feel comfortable that they have something in their briefcase. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm just sayin'.

#217309 - 02/17/11 02:57 AM Re: Whistles [Re: ireckon]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: ireckon
The Brunton Survival Kit aside, I have to say that overall Bepreparedtosurvive.com has a lot of great products. I have enjoyed ordering from them in the past and will enjoy ordering from them in the future. As one of many examples, some of their ferro rod products are rather unique, like their ferro/mg devices. Also, they sell a blaze orange bandana that's genuinely blaze orange, no joking around, and still blaze orange after washing. I also enjoy this line of products from Countycomm.com. I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH EITHER WEBSITE.

By the way, I don't plan on getting the Brunton survival kit. It looks like it's more for busy urban people who don't want to practice but who want to feel warm and comfortable that they have something in their briefcase.

I have a couple of those blaze orange bandannas, as well. They scream ORANGE!

Jeanette -- it's pretty clear no one should stake their life on that kit. It may be nearly worthless (I don't own it). Are you going to dis an entire business because of that one product?

#217313 - 02/17/11 04:06 AM Re: Whistles [Re: Dagny]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Jeanette -- it's pretty clear no one should stake their life on that kit. It may be nearly worthless (I don't own it). Are you going to dis an entire business because of that one product?

Seeing that one product in their store had raised concerns about their judgement. After all, what a store sells is a reflection on them. If a potential customer sees something which they know is junk, what are they to think about other products they are not familiar with? However, with so many people speaking so favorably about them, I went back. They have some innovative ideas and a product I found interesting.

Jeanette Isabelle

#217314 - 02/17/11 04:51 AM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Fox 40 and storm whistles for me.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#217326 - 02/17/11 12:39 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Answering a question asked earlier: Blast most likely used a Storm, Wind Storm, or Jetfire Whistle.

#217327 - 02/17/11 12:52 PM Re: Whistles [Re: sybert777]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: sybert777
Answering a question asked earlier: Blast most likely used a Storm, Wind Storm, or Jetfire Whistle.

The night I won the shots at the Las Vegas bar I was carrying my ARC Res-Q whistle. The size vs. noise of this thing is amazing. It is about 2" long, 1" wide, and only 3/16" thick.
When I'm out in the woods I carry a Jet Scream whistle on my survival necklace, but I'm thinking of replacing it with the ARC Res-Q.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (02/17/11 12:54 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.