The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#216824 - 02/10/11 10:50 PM Cast Away
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I did a forum search for the 2000 film Cast Away and I was surprised I did not get any hits. From an Equipped to Survive perspective, how does this movie stack up? Given his lack of preparation, what did Chuck Noland, played by Tom Hanks, get right and not get right?

Jeanette Isabelle

#216826 - 02/10/11 11:21 PM Re: Cast Away [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Wilson! Surpringly good movie for so little dialouge.

i loved the part about the coconuts and how to get into them. my kids and had a similar experience when they were 5. i gave them one and pretended to have no idea hot to get into it. after a days of trying to smash if with something or throw it against something, they finally tried a screwdriver and hammer.

the fire, the water, the cave, the toothache, the picture... i enjoyed it and the kids learned a lot from it.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#216827 - 02/10/11 11:25 PM Re: Cast Away [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I quite enjoyed Cast Away. If I came across it on DVD, I would add it to my entertainment library.

It's a work of fiction of course; the goal is entertainment not instruction. But with that in mind, they made a decent effort to deal with some of the basic issues. The physical issues -- food and water, tools, shelter, injury and illness.

And the psychological issues -- grief, isolation, regret, despair ... but also the mental means of taking some personal control of a difficult situation. Okay, Wilson went over the top; but he/it still had some merit.

And at the end, the hero didn't get the girl. Life, and people, kept moving forward. It was an honest ending, and I sincerely appreciated that.

#216828 - 02/10/11 11:31 PM Re: Cast Away [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
It had a big influence on me .... mostly focusing on making sure I have the ability to start a fire (BSA Hot Spark) and makes me think about how frustrating it is that my travel gear is so limited relative to my normal EDC. Still, I understand the realities of our time.

#216831 - 02/11/11 12:07 AM Re: Cast Away [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
He may not have gotten Helen Hunt's character (Kelly Frears), but it seems to me he had a good chance with Bettina Peterson (played by Lari White for any CW fans) to whom he delivered the angel wing Fedex box at the end of the movie.

To me that movie epitomizes the come-as-you-are nature of many survival situations. Look at how he marvels at the common tools available on the buffet table and how those simple items could have made his life so much easier (the butane lighter comes to mind) -- let alone the food.

The simple things we take for granted. Made me take my EDC items a bit more seriously.

#216832 - 02/11/11 12:08 AM Re: Cast Away [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
"Cast Away" was the movie that made me start thinking about the possibility of crashing while flying. A mixed blessing for sure.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#216833 - 02/11/11 12:18 AM Re: Cast Away [Re: bacpacjac]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
When I saw the SAK on his keychain early in the movie I thought "THAT's gonna come in handy some day soon!" Then he tosses the keys to what's her name before he gets on the plane frown

If you made a spoof of the movie, the imaginary friend could be named "Spalding"

But for the life of me I can't figure out how that jet engine would still be running as it floated on the water, threatening to chop him into fishbait.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#216881 - 02/11/11 06:20 PM Re: Cast Away [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I liked Castaway. I lived in the tropics for a time and could relate to some of the "how to" moments. Aside from the tools he created to cope with the day to day, he kept one unique FEDEX package unopened to maintain hope, a key survival mindset.

#216884 - 02/11/11 06:33 PM Re: Cast Away [Re: comms]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
he kept one unique FEDEX package unopened to maintain hope, a key survival mindset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NahyfTAVNqk wink

#216910 - 02/12/11 01:44 AM Re: Cast Away [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I remember most him sleeping on the floor, turning the light on and off. I read somewhere that this is a typical response for someone that has lived away from modern conveniences.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.