Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#216981 - 02/13/11 12:33 AM Re: Long term light (>24 hours) [Re: Art_in_FL]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
I have to agree in the respect that your sleep cycle will self regulate you mostly once you cut back on artificial lighting. It's pretty well documented as well if you see the sun rise/set it helps keep your circadian rhythm updated as well. More sleep = less need for light. Still, there are some times when you just want to read a book at 10pm :P
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#216984 - 02/13/11 01:18 AM Re: Long term light (>24 hours) [Re: TeacherRO]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
One of the things I enjoy about camping is catching up on my sleep. Do your activities while it's daylight, sleep at night.
I don't even have a fire when I'm camping alone.

For home I have a couple of Krill lights- AA powered chem-lite simulators which are quite economical on batteries.
And other lights and candles.

When my wife visits her parents they seem to have coincidental power outages from hours to days. She wears a flashlight around her neck for those times. Her brother and parents have dead batteries in their flashlights..... which they don't look for until it gets too dark to find them....

#216989 - 02/13/11 02:57 AM Re: Long term light (>24 hours) [Re: unimogbert]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
She wears a flashlight around her neck for those times. Her brother and parents have dead batteries in their flashlights..... which they don't look for until it gets too dark to find them....

After a beat up D-cell flashlight, reliable and a tough kid-proof unit, but more suitable for backyard camping, I got a Duralight, a dead simple 2-AA incandescent flashlight that cost me all of $4. I still have it. I rigged it with a long cord so I could wear it round my neck. Very handy for those times when you need just a little light after you are already tucked into your sleeping bag.

IMHO having a light close to hand largely obviates the need for constant area lighting.

#216994 - 02/13/11 09:17 AM Re: Long term light (>24 hours) [Re: TeacherRO]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
If planning for long term power outages, remember that others will also be affected and are unlikely to be prepared.
It would be advisable to keep stocks of very cheap basic flashlights, batteries and candles that may be given away, sold or bartered to the less well prepared.
Many on these forums have upgraded to the latest and most sophisticated LED lights, no harm in that, but I would urge never discarding any flashlight that works. Someone might be glad of it in any extended outage.

I keep at least 20 basic 2D flashlights for this purpose, batteries and replacement lamps.
As well as the now standard 700ma lamps, I also keep some 150ma lamps for 2 cell flashlights. These give 100 hours light from a pair of alkaline D cells, and up to 30 hours from cheap zinc carbon cells.

I also keep ample stocks of home made lights that are so cheap as to be effectively disposable. They cost less than chemical lightsticks, and give more light for longer, and can be turned off, and no risk of fire as from a candle.

#216995 - 02/13/11 09:28 AM Re: Long term light (>24 hours) [Re: TeacherRO]
Frisket Offline
Addict

#217009 - 02/13/11 05:52 PM Re: Long term light (>24 hours) [Re: TeacherRO]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

For EDC aspects of this issue, I have my Fenix EO-1 and DR Photon on my keychain as "last best friend" back-ups. In my "walking around" EDC kits for briefcase or day bag, I have a Princeton-Tec Scout headlamp with extra batteries, an incredibly small, lightweight and practical multi-night unit. I also have recently added a Zebralight, 1 AA, SC-51E flashlight with opional headband. Expensive, but very long lived for a light with such a high maximum brightness. There's also another Phton in the bag(s).

#217029 - 02/14/11 03:37 AM Re: Long term light (>24 hours) [Re: TeacherRO]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
2 - portable generators (5,000w, 7,500w)
lots of extension cords
6 gallons of gas
two case hardened chains and Masterlocks (to keep the generators from walking away)
Springfield XD .45 (in case the chains suddenly break and they grow legs)

Learned my lesson from Katrina, Rita, and Gustav.

#217037 - 02/14/11 12:44 PM Re: Long term light (>24 hours) [Re: cliff]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You need more gas . . . and a shotgun . . . cool

#217041 - 02/14/11 01:22 PM Re: Long term light (>24 hours) [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
as a comment to "need more gas...", I was recently given an old Honda generator, and after rebuilding the carb, needed to replace the fuel tank...instead of a tank, decided on a siphon/gravity feed from a 6gal fuel can... only trick was that the fuel line inlet was approx 1/4inch and could not find a double barbed connector/reducer for larger hose that would reduce to 1/4inch...had to make one...found a 1/4 barb x 1/4 pipe male, and 5/16 barb x 1/4 pipe female in brass at the local Ace hardware, and with a little teflon tape made an adapter....added a squeeze bulb to prime (be careful not to blow out the float needle/seat with too much pressure) attached to 7 feet of fuel line, and now have a multi task siphon/fuel line if needed (if I were to do it again would choose 3/8 fuel line as it would be quicker in a siphon mode as there were bulbs available in both 5/16 and 3/8)... just thought I would pass this idea along

#217068 - 02/14/11 09:45 PM Re: Long term light (>24 hours) [Re: NightHiker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

6 of these [Large long-burning candles]
2 of these (with about 12 gallons of fuel) [two-mantle white gas lanterns]
2 of these [Kerosene/oil Barn/hurricane lanterns]
and an assortment of battery powered lanterns & lights

I think you greatly underestimate how long those units will burn.

The candles that size are typically good for 12 hours each. Figure one a night and expect to have some to spare. Three should easily get you through two nights with likelihood you leave one untouched.

The white gas mantle lanterns with a quart of fuel will burn about 12 hours on low and eight at moderately high. I really think a gallon of fuel will easily keep a single lantern going for two mights.

Hurricane lanterns with 1/2" wicks will, in my experience, run for most of a night on roughly one eight ounce filling if you keep it a bit low. For 3/4" wicks figure a pint per night. Same is true for the typical table-top hurricane lamps running kerosene or lamp oil. A half gallon per lamp will leave you a large reserve.

For a small generator I figure a gallon an hour to get you in the ballpark. A lot depends on the sophistication of the unit.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.