Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#216874 - 02/11/11 05:40 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Mark_F]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
While it is fun and informative to speculate on what may or may not survive the 40 years and what could be made or improvised with the available tech, it appears we are moving WAY off topic. Shame on us laugh

This is very much on the topic. Part of the reason I was looking for a role play game like this is to learn. I expect to make some mistakes along the way and learn from them.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
So to get us BOT, I have some questions. Is the game master making the rules, or at least the final call, on what may or may not survive the ravages of time? Also you mention that the other people playing the game are actually building things based on older plans and technology. Is this part of the rules of the game also? I mean, if it can't be built it can't be utilized? Or is this just part of the preparations these people are doing for the game, or during the game, or for their own amusement? Also a more general question. Is it unthinkable that if one computer broke down it wouldn't be cannibalized for parts to keep other computers in the community operational? Personally I would still prefer to have a lot of info either in manuals or from training tho. FWIW and YMMV.

The game master is allowing some liberties. However, I told him I want things as realistic as possible for my player-character Jeanette. After all, what would be the point of this exercise if my player-character is granted too many liberties. Given what is being built, a relay switch computer and a replica of a 1904 Rolls-Royce, the means to build them in a lab or a machine shop do exist so yeas, they are allowed. By the time the story starts, these two machines are in the process of being built. Anything that can be done to put together a computer from old parts is being done. Computers are valuable in this setting so salvaging any electronic device or computer so that another computer may work is justified.

Jeanette Isabelle

#216875 - 02/11/11 05:41 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: paramedicpete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a crow bar I forged in junior high metal shop during the 60's . . no rust, paint is still intact, stored in much the same conditions as JeanetteIsabelle's room . . . imo 40 years is not that long . .

#216877 - 02/11/11 05:47 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Many of you have made valid points about the knife but still, I think it would be nice if my player-character had it on her. What I don't know is the Tuf-Cloth. Should my player-character have it on her or would it hold up for forty years in its resealable pouch?

Jeanette Isabelle

#216878 - 02/11/11 05:47 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

I haven't read through all the posts and may of missed it.

Out of curiosity, can you tell us what exactly is this role playing game called and this there a website/forum that has more info (not that I am at all interested in joining)

John Lubbock

#216879 - 02/11/11 06:01 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Teslinhiker]
Carpal Tunnel

The name is "After Chaos." Here is the link:

http://endlessdreamsrp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ac

Jeanette Isabelle

#216882 - 02/11/11 06:25 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
According to that link, your character is "half-cat".

#216883 - 02/11/11 06:26 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Many of you have made valid points about the knife but still, I think it would be nice if my player-character had it on her. What I don't know is the Tuf-Cloth. Should my player-character have it on her or would it hold up for forty years in its resealable pouch?

If the pouch were completely unopened and stored in a dark, dry place I'd guess that it would be in good shape. Opened and resealed, my guess is that it would be dried out. A little bit of Tuff-Glide or mineral spirits and it should be just fine.

#216887 - 02/11/11 07:00 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
According to that link, your character is "half-cat".

Every player is allowed up to two player-characters. My player-character Jeanette has not been introduced to the story yet. While my player-character Chihiro was designed to thrive in this hostile environment, Jeanette is the character I want to focus on in this thread since she is the "test-subject."

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (02/11/11 11:23 PM)
Edit Reason: Edited for clarification.

#216889 - 02/11/11 07:33 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
The debate on the carbon steel blade surviving for 40 years is where I thought we were getting off topic. But I agree, the knife should be on her person anyway. The tuff cloth can be left out entirely. The blade should do just fine without it if taken care of properly.

#216898 - 02/11/11 11:45 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have a knife that was my grandfathers and maybe even passed down to him, so it has to be 40 years old or more. Has real bone on the handles. I have my great great grandfathers rifle, though it wasn't taken care of so its not in a condition to use it, its over 100 years old, I'd say either a gun or knife would survive provided it was cleaned and oiled before being put away.

WRT computers, tell them your characters father was an older engineer and had an HP calculator sitting around an HP48 or 28 or so, those will last 40 years, mine is 20 years old. They are basically a computer, 4 bit cpu and can be programmed in machine language exactly like early computers.

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.