The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#216785 - 02/09/11 11:01 PM Re: Kids And One Match Fires-2011 [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Good work Canoedogs, and thanks for posting.

Although people are a little less freaked out around here by the tought of giving small kids access to knives and matches, it is very easy to forget that the time to learn these skills is NOW. But it is very easily forgotten in a hectic urban environment, and on our family & friends trips both I and my similar minded male friends have a tendency to just "fix" things - like just get that fire going. Good role models, perhaps - but very little transfer of actual skills.

Time to add a little play-with-matches quality time with my kids... thanks for the reminder smile

#216786 - 02/09/11 11:02 PM Re: Kids And One Match Fires-2011 [Re: Jesselp]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:

In my house, we celebrate Hanukkah. This year, I handed my four year old a lit candle and let him light all the others. My wife nearly had a heart attack, but knew enough to keep her mouth shut. She admitted to me later that she almost grabbed the candle away from him, but decided to trust that I knew what I was doing in giving it to him. Thankfully, it turned out OK and my son was immensely proud. . .

Awesome!! My girls got to take turns lighting our Advent wreath candles every night during the Christmas season (well, Advent season grin) , but those only have four candles. Back when they were being potty trained getting to light and blow out a candle was one of their rewards for doing it right.

Fire: it motivates kids!
-Blast
p.s. Kudos to your wife.

Edited by Blast (02/09/11 11:03 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#216791 - 02/10/11 10:49 AM Re: Kids And One Match Fires-2011 [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I love your skunk mittens!

#216836 - 02/11/11 01:45 AM Re: Kids And One Match Fires-2011 [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
thanks Byrd.i got them at a native craft store up in Canada.they are really warm,the kids always ask if they still smell like skunk,well no--

#216854 - 02/11/11 12:21 PM Re: Kids And One Match Fires-2011 [Re: CANOEDOGS]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
thats just awesome bro! those kids will keep the memory forever (and maybe the life saving skills too!)

#216893 - 02/11/11 08:50 PM Re: Kids And One Match Fires-2011 [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Awesome canoedogs. I had an experience like this when I was a kid and the lessons learned have stuck with me for 30 plus years now(getting closer to 40 years now but not saying how close). We did it in groups, each of us were given a match (no lesson before hand) and we had to get a fire going. Our group was not able to start a fire, which might explain why I am a bit obsessed with fire starting now. I am sure the kids had a great time and the lessons they learned will stick with them as well. Kudos to you for giving back to your community.

#216896 - 02/11/11 10:34 PM Re: Kids And One Match Fires-2011 [Re: CANOEDOGS]
PHeller Offline
Stranger

I was an outdoor skills educator with the YMCA two years ago, and the "One Match Fire" program was big hit with the kids. Most of the kids I taught fire building were Age 7 and older.

I normally started the instruction with getting them to understand how important a basic Bic lighter is out in the woods, and how important a knife is as well. BUT because they aren't allowed knives in our camp, we didn't go much into bushcraft.

So I'd have the whole group work on a "3 Match Fire" to help learn first hand what materials work and which dont.

Then they'd break up into multiple groups and try it with a single match. Normally the catch was we'd watch the other groups succeed or fail, allowing the kids to quickly run back and change their design.

It was a success, probably the most enjoyable job I've ever had, even if it didn't pay well.

Edited by PHeller (02/11/11 10:36 PM)

#217513 - 02/19/11 01:00 PM Re: Kids And One Match Fires-2011 [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
way to go canoedogs! i suspect yours was the coolest part of their day and something they'll remember for a lifetime! they're never too young to start learning self-reliance.

we've got some parents that are totally against teaching our 5-7 year olds to forage for combustibles for firemaking, and some even think that our 8-10 year olds are too young for that. no wonder our scouts are sometimes so clueless. during our recent winter camping trip, a few of them came to me asking for paper for their fires, i suggested we take the entire group out for a foraging lesson and was greeted with horrified looks and comments from the parents of the youger kids. i wasn't even suggesting anything involving flame. geesh!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.