Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#216759 - 02/09/11 06:25 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: paramedicpete]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Quote:
Some pockets (walled settlements) have returned to some level of civility. But how civil is the wold if people have to live with walls surrounding them on all sides?

This is big difference if the event took place at the time of her time transport (40 years elapsing) or 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc. prior to her reintroduction; as the social structure would after a passage of time, return to a more stable nature.

The event took place in 2012, two years after my player-character disappeared. Thirty-eight years will give people time to go through the event and do some rebuilding.

I am also unclear as to what is the trek and what is its purpose?

Though the game master has not told us yet what that item is, the party is to leave the settlement, go to what's left of Dallas to get the item and bring it back to the settlement.

What advantages do you envision for her survival in being an EMT-W vs. a standard EMT, since you state there is a hospital, abet with aging equipment and supplies?

The advantage I see is a Wilderness EMT may be better prepared for the trek than a standard EMT since a Wilderness EMT is trained to improvise.

Jeanette Isabelle

#216761 - 02/09/11 06:49 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Jeanette,

Please do not take this as a personal attack and hope you will take it in the spirit for which it made, which to encourage real world experiences. Having been in the Fire/Rescue/EMS Service for over 20 years, I am well aware of the educational benefits of running scenarios. We regularly train, preplan and conduct post-incident evaluations of both real world and tabletop exercises. We even push the envelope with some scenarios being somewhat extreme so when the real thing comes along, we have trained and preplanned to a higher level allowing for quick decisive plans and actions to be implemented.

I can well appreciate the need and desire to armchair analyze various survival scenarios, which may lead to a better understanding and potentially implemented set of actions when faced with real world events. However, I will admit to finding this form and degree of role playing to be on the fringe of being obsessive and counter productive, when there so many real world situations that could benefit from the involvement of a highly intelligent person such as yourself. You make reference to your having taking classes, read books and taken on-line classes and while I being very presumptuous, I think you might want to put into real world practice those things you have enjoyed exploring. To my humble way of thinking, we are in this world for such a very short time; I want to be as productive and contributory as possible.

I deeply apologize if I have offended you in any way, it is not my intent, but the parent in me wants to rip out your Internet connection and have you go and volunteer for a Girl Scout troop of at risk youth.

I will stay out of this discussion any further, as this is way off your topic and I do not wish to offend-
Pete

#216765 - 02/09/11 07:14 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: paramedicpete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#216768 - 02/09/11 07:24 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

The end of the world as we know it has already happened. People want to rebuild but the world is still chaotic and most people may still be in survival mode.

Jeanette, who is from our time, has been thrown into a long-term survival situation and will remain in a survival situation until society is rebuilt.

Though forty-years-older, some of her family and other people she knows are still around. Her house is still in the family and her room has remained untouched. Anything of hers which can survive forty years is intact.

Jeanette is a Wilderness EMT getting ready for wilderness expedition when she suddenly finds herself in a survival situation. Since low-tech items (pots for boiling water, clothes, knife sharpeners, etcetera) will be available to her, my focus is for Jeanette to have gear she would most likely have on her and would give her the greatest advantage:

Adventure Medical Kits Mountain Medic[/url]
Pocket Survival Pack
RSK Mk3
PICO Lite
Tuf-Cloth
Bottled water, 500ml (This is a common size for a bottle of water, it is easy to hold and is easy to do the math)

TEOTWAWKI to me likely includes loss of power grids and a mass die-off with a very few able to scratch out survival in a low to no-tech predominately agrarian society in which government will have reverted, at best, to bare-bones (law enforcement). No more government entitlement programs so the first order of business is shelter (your home which has miraculously survived intact -- including contents), water (sounds like you'll have plenty, just need to purify it) and food.

You're going to have to grow and/or hunt your own food, trade for it (goods or services) or steal it.

EMT is nice -- mostly because you can trade for your services. But I'd rather be a MacGyver -- one whose knowledge ranges far beyond just medical. Knowledge you can use and trade.

Have your character get a b.s. in mechanical engineering with a particular obsession with external and internal combustion engines. Then you could put that Texas oil to good use.

If my house were going to be intact and my tons of camping and hiking gear with it (which includes Ritter's MK3) then all I'd like to bring through the time portal is a backpack full of Luna Bars, dried fruit and antibiotics.

And aspirin. I anticipate lots of headaches.

#216769 - 02/09/11 07:32 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Besides mechanical engineering, a working knowledge of cracking and how crude oil is refined may be useful. There are many disciplines that may be missing.

#216771 - 02/09/11 08:10 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: paramedicpete]
Carpal Tunnel

I can well appreciate the need and desire to armchair analyze various survival scenarios, which may lead to a better understanding and potentially implemented set of actions when faced with real world events. However, I will admit to finding this form and degree of role playing to be on the fringe of being obsessive and counter productive, when there so many real world situations that could benefit from the involvement of a highly intelligent person such as yourself. You make reference to your having taking classes, read books and taken on-line classes and while I being very presumptuous, I think you might want to put into real world practice those things you have enjoyed exploring.

I first want to put your mind at ease. Your post is not offensive.

While I have the interest and some knowledge for working in the medical field, my anxiety disorder, though I am taking medication for it, would prevent me from doing anything more than ordering more medical supplies and performing first aid.

I do more relaxing volunteer jobs for my church and Meals on Wheels.

Jeanette Isabelle

#216772 - 02/09/11 08:30 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
...would prevent me from doing anything more than ordering more medical supplies and performing first aid.

If you feel that first aid is within your capabilities, please consider becoming the First Aider for a Girl Scout troop. I know many troops are unable to participate in various functions due to a lack of First Aiders. You would also serve a great role model to the girls.

Quote:
I do more relaxing volunteer jobs for my church and Meals on Wheels.

I commend you for your involvement, I am sure your participation is rewarding and very much appreciated by those you serve.

Pete

#216775 - 02/09/11 08:45 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Realistically, can society be rebuilt without lawyers??
(tongue firmly in cheek)

Unfortunately it doesn't appear so, least we also forget about the financiers as well. frown

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Founders_of_the_Baltimore_and_Ohio_Railroad.jpg

The first railway line section was completed in the USA around 1830 (the USA infrastructure was effectively built on the railways), around about the same time the Dundee to Newtyle (Newtyle never sprang up into a major metropolis for some reason, well neither did Dundee wink ) railway line was completed (with some of the original stone bridgework still standing after around 180 years on one of my favorite countryside 25 mile cycle circuits)

#216777 - 02/09/11 08:53 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Dagny]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dagny
EMT is nice -- mostly because you can trade for your services. But I'd rather be a MacGyver -- one whose knowledge ranges far beyond just medical. Knowledge you can use and trade.

As I have said, I want the knowledge of my player-character to be reasonably close to what I know. I don't have the knowledge to do half the stuff MacGyver does.

Have your character get a b.s. in mechanical engineering with a particular obsession with external and internal combustion engines. Then you could put that Texas oil to good use.

Hikaru, the Tai Chi master player-character I mentioned, is a computer engineer. She designed and built a relay switch computer, a computer built using 19th century technology. She also found the plans and engineering notes for a 1904 Rolls-Royce (designed, of course, by an electrical engineer) and is building a small car with a two-cylinder, ten-horsepower engine in a machine shop.

If my house were going to be intact and my tons of camping and hiking gear with it (which includes Ritter's MK3) then all I'd like to bring through the time portal is a backpack full of Luna Bars, dried fruit and antibiotics.

Any carbon steel knife sitting around that long would rust. Also, if my player-character does not have her knife with her, there would be no reason for her to have her Tuf-Cloth on her and I imagine it too would be useless if it sat around for forty years.

Jeanette Isabelle

#216780 - 02/09/11 09:53 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I have shown this thread to The Nobody, the game master. Here are some of the relevant responses he made.

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I hope she has had all her shots. Even so, she is utterly naked and helpless from an immunological view. She is a helpless infant, needing mother's milk.

Originally Posted By: The Nobody
@ dougwalkabout:
Agreed to all except this part:
"I hope she has had all her shots. Even so, she is utterly naked and helpless from an immunological view. She is a helpless infant, needing mother's milk."
It's not that scary yet - to extend the metaphor, think about a five-year-old.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Quote:
My friend Arik is playing a western movie type gunslinger in the role play game, another player-character is a Tai Chi master (a form of martial art which can be lethal when practiced for many years) and there will be other player-characters who are armed whom Jeanette will be with.

They'll be with you all the time? You'll never be in peril of being overrun? In RPG terms I would never consider an unarmed character for the kind of game you're playing.

Originally Posted By: The Nobody
@ chaosmagnet:
"They'll be with you all the time? You'll never be in peril of being overrun? In RPG terms I would never consider an unarmed character for the kind of game you're playing."
On one hand, he is right. Anything can happen. On other hand, having a character that needs protection is a nice plot element.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.