The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#216737 - 02/09/11 03:54 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
<I must confess that I find the entire scenario to be somewhat contradictory and confusing >

same here i'm not understanding it:

<We certainly do not need weapons. In a post apocalyptic world everybody, and their grandmother, has weapons>
why? just because society collapses it means suddenly everyone gets a gun? where have all these weapons come from? and doesn't that mean you DO need them?

<any equipment still working is at least forty-years-old.>

why? what apocalypse only destroys equipment less than 40 years old?

qjs

#216739 - 02/09/11 04:22 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: quick_joey_small]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Not really understanding this.
The 40 year leap ahead is not significant. Someone from 1971 who came to today wouldn't be a caveman.

Forty years can be significant when government, the economy and society have collapsed. Sure, there will be plenty of items from 2010 which will still be around but with the economy collapsing, factories shut down. No more goods are manufactured. Machines wear out and are not used because the goods for repairing them are no longer manufactured.

And unless she is rich now and leaves stuff in her room or hidden somewhere (a room unchanged for 40 years? why not let her find a unicorn while you are at it).

How is this unreasonable?

Jeanette Isabelle

#216740 - 02/09/11 04:42 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Quote:
My friend Arik is playing a wester movie type gunslinger in the role play game, another player-character is a Tai Chi master (a form of martial art which can be lethal when practiced for many years) and there will be other player-characters who are armed whom Jeanette will be with.

They'll be with you all the time? You'll never be in peril of being overrun? In RPG terms I would never consider an unarmed character for the kind of game you're playing.

Your point is certainly valid. As Doug Walkabout pointed out, I have to consider the psychological state my player-character is in. A gun at this point may be too much for her. Even is she had a hand gun prior to her unplanned trip, would she be in a good state psychologically to use it after being transported to a post apocalyptic world?

Jeanette Isabelle

#216743 - 02/09/11 04:53 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I wonder about the linear premise of "rebuilding society." It doesn't seem to fit the actual events that have occurred when societies have collapsed. Consider the Maya collapse or the retrenchment of Pueblo groups in the American Southwest. The large centers were abandoned and the common folk kept on farming, focusing on workable solutions that allowed life to continue.

Whether society can be rebuilt after a collapse is unknown but it would certainly be the hope of the people in such a situation. If society cannot be rebuilt, everybody will be in survival mode for the rest of their lives.

Jeanette Isabelle

#216745 - 02/09/11 04:57 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Forty years can be significant when government, the economy and society have collapsed.

I see, much like present day Detroit. But that doesn't necessarily mean society has collapsed. In fact it could have the reverse effect, where folks actually begin to rally together to resolve issues such as a collapsed consumerist economy based on liquid petroleum products and where government doesn't have a role in keeping people in their place (I think they it marshal law security, but a well known radio jock from Austin in FEMA region area number 6 would be able to give you more details wink ).

#216749 - 02/09/11 05:30 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: paramedicpete]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
I am unclear as to how long post apocalyptic event she is being reintroduced. If, as you indicate the community has returned to an agriculturally based society, there would seem to be some degree of stability, not overly chaotic as other parts of your premise states.

Some pockets (walled settlements) have returned to some level of civility. But how civil is the wold if people have to live with walls surrounding them on all sides?

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
As to the equipment she is carrying. I see no significant advantage to her survival if as you state low-tech items (home, pots, etc.) are still available. Most of the items she is carrying will only provide temporary relief. For example her flashlight, if she uses it for 1 hour per night and it last say 30 days, how is that really providing for the rebuilding of society, which is a much more long term goal. Her EMT-Wildernesses status would only seem to provide only a minor advantage, since the community still seems to be fairly functional.

I must confess that I find the entire scenario to be somewhat contradictory and confusing.

As stated, I expect the flashlight to be used up by the time the trek is over. As for choosing the role of a Wilderness EMT, I wanted to give my player-character the greatest advantage based on or close enough to what I know. I have taken classes, read books and studied online. Furthermore, I put into practice some of what I have learned so I feel playing the role of an EMT is not too much of a stretch.

Jeanette Isabelle

#216752 - 02/09/11 05:50 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

<I must confess that I find the entire scenario to be somewhat contradictory and confusing >

same here i'm not understanding it:

Hopefully my reply to Pete will address your confusion. If not, let me know.

<We certainly do not need weapons. In a post apocalyptic world everybody, and their grandmother, has weapons>
why? just because society collapses it means suddenly everyone gets a gun? where have all these weapons come from? and doesn't that mean you DO need them?

That was an exaggeration to point out how the last thing we need is more weapons.

<any equipment still working is at least forty-years-old.>

why? what apocalypse only destroys equipment less than 40 years old?

By the time the story begins, the apocalypse happened a long time ago. Though the stuff hit the fan in 2012, forty years is a nice, round number. Some equipment could have been new out of the box in 2012 making them thirty-eight-years-old in 2050.

Jeanette Isabelle

#216753 - 02/09/11 05:55 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
Some pockets (walled settlements) have returned to some level of civility. But how civil is the wold if people have to live with walls surrounding them on all sides?

This is big difference if the event took place at the time of her time transport (40 years elapsing) or 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc. prior to her reintroduction; as the social structure would after a passage of time, return to a more stable nature.

What you are describing in terms of a society and the civility or lack thereof, currently exists in a good part of the world today. There are many parts of the world, where walled or “gated” communities are common place and not the exception.

Quote:
As stated, I expect the flashlight to be used up by the time the trek is over.

I am also unclear as to what is the trek and what is its purpose?

Quote:
As for choosing the role of a Wilderness EMT, I wanted to give my player-character the greatest advantage based on or close enough to what I know. I have taken classes, read books and studied online. Furthermore, I put into practice some of what I have learned so I feel playing the role of an EMT is not too much of a stretch.

What advantages do you envision for her survival in being an EMT-W vs. a standard EMT, since you state there is a hospital, abet with aging equipment and supplies?

Pete

#216754 - 02/09/11 06:03 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: NightHiker]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Do you have a rough idea of what percentage of the pouplation survived "the event" which resulted in the world your character arrives in?

The game master said there will not be many people around who remember what life was like before the event.

Jeanette Isabelle

#216757 - 02/09/11 06:11 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Realistically, can society be rebuilt without lawyers??
(tongue firmly in cheek)

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.