Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#227663 - 07/11/11 09:01 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: GettingThere]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: GettingThere
-- I would include a light source that doesn't require batteries, such as the Garrity 3 LED Crank Light (or equivalent).

Most crank lights use a cheap battery that poops out after only a few charge cycles. If you do decide to get crank or shake light, make sure to get one that uses a capacitor rather than a battery to store the energy you generate. They last a heck of a lot longer.

#227667 - 07/11/11 10:16 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: GettingThere]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Sorry for joining this thread so late in the discussion. Looking at the scenario and the current list, a few things occured to me. I am assuming that cost is still not an object.

-- I would suggest replacing the Pocket Survival Pak with the Plus version. The benefits are that it includes the Mk5 and the EGear Pico light, plus a few water purification tablets and a spare water bladder at a cost of very little additional space.

Since my player-character has the Pocket Microfilter she would not need water purification tablets. Also, the water bag is only good for a few uses. Therefore it makes sense to use the original PSP and get the Mk5 and PICO Lite separate.

-- The Aurora, while robust, has a lot of superflous metal associated with it, and it requires two hands for proper operation. Perhaps you should consider substituting Ultimate Survival Technologies' Blastmatch, which is lighter, is covered (albeit in plastic), and can be operated with one hand.

I looked at several fire starting tools, including the BlastMatch. The two that I really like are the Aurora and the StrikeForce. If my player-character needs a one-handed tool, the PSP has a Spark-Lite. By the way, I decided to replace the Spark-Lite with the Metal Spark-Lite since my last post.

-- A spare filter for the Katadyn Pocket Microfilter would be ideal. However, if that is not a consideration, then many guides that address the care and handling of portable water filters suggest carrying coffee filters or fine plastic (or rust-resistant) mesh wrapped around and secured to the intake to reduce the amount of particulate matter and thus extending the life of the filter.

I did the research on the Pocket Microfilter. If my player-character maintains it, even in the field, it will purify 50,000 liters of water. One of the ways is to fashion some sort of filter over the pre filter. That is one of the uses for the bandana.

-- Snare wire and a small fishing kit is not unreasonable for a PSP, and would come in handy for food acquisition during an unforeseen trek.

Of course the PSP has a small fishing kit. About the snare, even with an animal caught I don't know anything about dressing an animal. So unless there is a player-character (besides Chihiro) who is a good hunter, we will have fish every day.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227866 - 07/14/11 10:22 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

After Mobile BOB mentioned Crystal™ Salt Sticks, http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=227846&gonew=1#UNREAD I wondered since all natural deodorant is available, why not all natural alternatives to products we use today. I did a search on natural toothbrushes and found the solution to a problem I had with this game. I was amazed. I did a search on feminine care products and found it, including cramp relief.

If this post-apocalyptic world goes green, society will rebuild.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227881 - 07/15/11 01:09 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
After Mobile BOB mentioned Crystal™ Salt Sticks, http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=227846&gonew=1#UNREAD I wondered since all natural deodorant is available, why not all natural alternatives to products we use today. I did a search on natural toothbrushes and found the solution to a problem I had with this game.

I have several friends who use Burt's Bee's Natural Toothpaste as underarm deodorant. They smell good even in Houston's heat/humidity so it seems to work!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#228471 - 07/25/11 04:26 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Personally, I find it a large assumption that her room would be intact. If the world comes apart as you claim, why wouldn't the house be picked through for anything even remotely useful for surviving?

Electronics will definitely survive for 40 years. I have several items that are very close to that and still work. All depends on storage conditions.

Thinking about things from the other end of the equation. A person suddenly appears out of nowhere. Looks clean, kempt, and all new stuff on them. Wouldn't this immediately scream target? Nothing to defend yourself with would make you easy picking for anyone wanting what you have.

I've done a lot of RPGing in my days. This whole premiss sounds very shakey. You are depending on an altruistic GM to ensure your characters safety upon moment of arrival.

About the only thing that you would need on you to "survive" the 40 year lapse would be medical / batteries. If everyone is friendly to your character, they can provide anything else you need. Additionally, if your room is intact, most items would still be intact. 40 yr old clothing, if in the right environment, would still be perfectly useful. Going on a "trek" in a dress would not be wise if you have perfectly good pants and such. There are many high quality garments that are great for being in the outdoors in the summer that promote good air flow.

Knowledge is the one thing that can't be taken away. So medical skills would be a big plus.

#228476 - 07/25/11 05:07 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Blast]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Blast
I have several friends who use Burt's Bee's Natural Toothpaste as underarm deodorant. They smell good even in Houston's heat/humidity so it seems to work!
-Blast

Thanks Blast! Sounds like a graet way to save a little weight in an emergency bathroom kit.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#228499 - 07/25/11 07:21 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Mike_H]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
Personally, I find it a large assumption that her room would be intact. If the world comes apart as you claim, why wouldn't the house be picked through for anything even remotely useful for surviving?

Electronics will definitely survive for 40 years. I have several items that are very close to that and still work. All depends on storage conditions.

The house is still in the family. I have established this.

Thinking about things from the other end of the equation. A person suddenly appears out of nowhere. Looks clean, kempt, and all new stuff on them. Wouldn't this immediately scream target? Nothing to defend yourself with would make you easy picking for anyone wanting what you have.

The custom kit is black so it is less obvious and I tried to keep it as small as possible for that reason. Also, she will be getting clothes and a new pair of glasses to fit in this new society.

I've done a lot of RPGing in my days. This whole premiss sounds very shakey. You are depending on an altruistic GM to ensure your characters safety upon moment of arrival.

Her sudden appearance has been worked out.

Going on a "trek" in a dress would not be wise if you have perfectly good pants and such. There are many high quality garments that are great for being in the outdoors in the summer that promote good air flow.

A dress would be needed on the trek to blend in.

Jeanette Isabelle

#228545 - 07/25/11 11:08 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

The house is still in the family. I have established this.

So, you are telling me that your family would not touch your room for 40 years if you vanished? Esp if they think there may be useful survival items in it for their own personal use? Sorry, but this is very very far-fetched...

The custom kit is black so it is less obvious and I tried to keep it as small as possible for that reason. Also, she will be getting clothes and a new pair of glasses to fit in this new society.

I still believe your character would stick out. Speech patterns and trends change in that time. It takes some time to truly assimilate into a new society. How quickly would you be off on a quest? Any time to observe these new surroundings? Once again, 40 years is longer than you think, esp after some sort of terrible episode.

A dress would be needed on the trek to blend in.

I still don't buy the dress on a trek. Some sort of tunic with leggings maybe.

The whole concept is interesting, but fanciful... What is your ultimate goal? Really thinking of survival skills or??? I can think of better, practical RPG guidelines for that. Perhaps in 40 years, medical technology is better due to rediscovery of herbs and such... Your character would really not fit in being displaced 40 years... It would take time to make the transition, let alone the mental trauma and anguish of loss...

#228557 - 07/26/11 12:46 AM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Mike_H]
Carpal Tunnel

So, you are telling me that your family would not touch your room for 40 years if you vanished? Esp if they think there may be useful survival items in it for their own personal use? Sorry, but this is very very far-fetched...

You have a valid point but I have heard stories in which a room remains untouched when a person disappears.

I still believe your character would stick out. Speech patterns and trends change in that time. It takes some time to truly assimilate into a new society. How quickly would you be off on a quest? Any time to observe these new surroundings? Once again, 40 years is longer than you think, esp after some sort of terrible episode.

Maybe so but when I'm walking by, what could I possible do that would paint me as a target?

The whole concept is interesting, but fanciful... What is your ultimate goal? Really thinking of survival skills or???

What is my ultimate goal? For years I wanted some sort of role play where "anything goes" does not apply and player-characters have to solve problems without magic or science fiction. There is some science fiction in this role play but not so much that it solves problems for us. I want something where I can use gear I can get in the real world and the knowledge to use it that is at least close to what I have in the real world.

Why real world gear? The real world already has a lot of innovations. Learning all I can about them, what works together, what doesn't, why, why not and techniques are all apart of the challenge. For example, just recently I found out I can more than double the battery life of Photon Micro-Light but only cut the brightness in half. There are other things I have learned because this role play has challenged me and my player-character Jeanette has not been introduced yet. What more will I learn by the time she is introduced? When I play her, will I gain a better understanding of what works and what doesn't?

When I was designing the custom survival kit, I was happy to remove items from it when I read that I could accomplish a certain task without it.

I can think of better, practical RPG guidelines for that.

I want to hear what you think.

Jeanette Isabelle

#228579 - 07/26/11 01:05 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Jeanette,

Thank you for humoring me with my questions.

I still think the biggest survival challenge for your character will be the shock of a new enviroment and the change in people. This really shouldn't be downplayed. Think about the recent Katrina stories how civilized people quickly broke into chaos. Thievery happened very quickly.

In the "rebuilding" society, I would believe that the same would hold true. If the supply chain is still broken, I can believe a lot of mistrust would still exist 38 years after the fact. A classic battle of have / have nots would exist. What type of dangers are you envisioning on your quest? Feral cats / dogs? Rabies could certainly be raging unchecked in the wild with the abscence of vacines.

As a society, we depend on technology way too much. Not many people are comfortable in "the wilds". Blast, however, would revel in it as would most in this forum.

A good plot twist for you GM would be that maybe only one or two of your "planned" items are still in your room. The rest missing due to being needed by your family to survive. Maybe a book was missed. A knife in the back of a closet.

Are you sure your family would be welcoming at first appearence? A stranger (40 years removed) suddenly shows up. I can see some interesting plot decisions around that...

Will the trek be more urban or more woodland? As discussed here, that really makes a difference.

Medicinals and salt would actually become a commodity in this brave new world. Knowledge of plants and herbs would be valuable as well.

I'll ponder more on this later... It is a very intriuging prospect.

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 301 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.