The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#216572 - 02/07/11 02:39 AM Re: Went in the drink yesterday [Re: ki4buc]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
[quote=ki4bucAs for the first responders, management of all types likes "metrics", so you were a ripe opportunity to gather them. Doesn't matter if 16 agencies treat you as a patient, they all get a patient contact credit. smile Plus, probably some interest in seeing if it is someone they know so they can rib them! [/quote]

Just clarifying in the interest of "seriousness", its better to send more resources to an incident, than to not have enough. Again, glad you're alive and someone call.

#216573 - 02/07/11 02:40 AM Re: Went in the drink yesterday [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Sounds like the emergency response crowd was having a slow day.

At Channel Islands NP, we always abruptly terminated our operations on the water to respond to distress situations. Our skippers made it clear that this is the appropriate response for any vessel. Makes perfect sense to me.

Would you prefer a lackadaisical, half-hearted, response?

Isn't this what I have heard to as one of the rules of the seas? Essentially everyone within potential rescue distance makes a concerted effort to help regardless of what they were doing or heading to and veer off course to head to the person(s) needing rescue?

John Lubbock

#216574 - 02/07/11 02:45 AM Re: Went in the drink yesterday [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Absolutely. That is what my mentors have taught me. I was trying to find some sort of formal statement, but that has eluded me. We have all read accounts of rescues at sea where large commercial vessels have responded to smaller boats in trouble.

#216576 - 02/07/11 02:47 AM Re: Went in the drink yesterday [Re: Teslinhiker]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Isn't this what I have heard to as one of the rules of the seas? Essentially everyone within potential rescue distance makes a concerted effort to help regardless of what they were doing or heading to and veer off course to head to the person(s) needing rescue?

Not just a rule, it is a staple of International Maritime Law. From a quick English search, it appears it is codified in a number of laws in the respective countries.

Edited to add: Since I'm not a lawyer (and I don't know if this guy is), this link explains the rules: http://www.thelog.com/askattorney/askattorney.aspx?x=96 If you do, or will ever, operate a boat, you probably want to contact a maritime attorney. No, I don't even know where "maritime law" takes effect either, so you'll have to figure that out yourself.

Edited by ki4buc (02/07/11 02:57 AM)

#216580 - 02/07/11 04:40 AM Re: Went in the drink yesterday [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Would you prefer a lackadaisical, half-hearted, response?

No, absolutely not. I meant the comment to be tongue in cheek. "Checked out by three separate sets of para-medic/EMTs" doesn't seem terribly efficient, but sometimes redundancy can be a good thing. Might have been a case of overlapping jurisdictions, where if they respond they have to follow through.

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/07/11 04:49 AM)

#216582 - 02/07/11 05:06 AM Re: Went in the drink yesterday [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Re multiple paramedic/EMTs, I am pretty sure it was protocol. Helicopter guys couldn't leave without checking - they were first on scene. Boat guys transporting me had to check me out before the ride to be sure I could be safely transported without other support. And on shore the fire, highway patrol, and paramedics couldn't clear me to drive and go about my day without a check.

I asked each to check the box on their form that says, "Feels like a jerk."

On a positive note, I think I tracked down the last soaking, stinky bit of clothing from where it migrated in my vehicle.

Muscles from shoulders through hips still sore. Drinking a lot of fluids. Curling up in a warm blankeet for a nap is my new hobby.

Thanks for the support.

#216584 - 02/07/11 06:49 AM Re: Went in the drink yesterday [Re: dweste]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
good to hear your safe and sound.from my reading this seems to be a text book example of what can go wrong despite having the right gear and knowledge to make it right.some self induced pressures along with what seems at first to be a minor medical problem or pain, then a cascade of small errors that put you in the "drink".i think down hill skiers have a saying about the one last run of the day that maybe should not have been made.my only close call with hypothermia on a canoe trip was when i did the "i'll just push on to the next bay and a nice camp" when i should have pulled in to the first level spot and got into dry clothes and had a hot meal.most times it's not "nature" that kills us,it's us.

#216585 - 02/07/11 07:17 AM Re: Went in the drink yesterday [Re: dweste]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

1. Glad you are OK
2. As people have said, it's the little stuff that multiplies to catch you out
3. You were obviously in a bad way - worth us all remembering that you might have been the only resource / best in your group - so the things that could make a difference (shelter, dry clothes, brew kit etc) need to be available and set up to be idiot proof - with hypothermia or whatever you cannot expect to do anything fiddly, that you could do easily in good shape.

"barely able to drink a hot cup of tea two-handed due to shaking. Tried with my buddy to come up with a plan; failed. After a few minutes, feeling like a jerk, I told my buddy to call 911 and that he was in charge because I did not seem to be thinking straight" - this is the point in the wilderness where things go from bad to disaster

#216588 - 02/07/11 07:57 AM Re: Went in the drink yesterday [Re: dweste]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Scary Scary! I Consider falling Into the water one of thee scariest things. Its highly unpredictable and in a river can sweep you away for a good distance, separate you from your gear, soak threw everything you expected to stay dry, and worst of all chill you faster then you expected. Glad to hear your ok and made the smart choice of giving control to your friend when you realized you where incoherent to the situation.

#216591 - 02/07/11 12:21 PM Re: Went in the drink yesterday [Re: dweste]
njs Offline

Loc: Colorado
dweste,

Glad to hear you are well and thank you for sharing your experience and providing details of what happened and your thoughts about the situation.

Art in FL:

"Rule Number One: Don't let what anyone else might think keep you from doing what you have to do. You have to make your own call. Embarrassment and shame pass. Death and serious disability ... not so much. "

Nicely said. It is better to feel a little embarrassed and get help quickly than to be stubborn and let a situation deteriorate further. I think figuratively dying of shame is much better than literally dying from pride.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.