Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#216656 - 02/08/11 02:25 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR WindPro [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
one more thing to like about the MSR WindPro:
"Made in USA"

#216659 - 02/08/11 02:52 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR WindPro [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Optimus stoves are made in China. Scroll down about 1/2 a page to see the Optimus stoves which also lists their country of manufacture.
OK, that's what I thought.

I don't know how serious, but there have been some complaints about the quality control on the Sveas made in China. Generally, the older Sveas that say "Made in Sweden" (instead of just "Sweden") are considered the better quality stoves.

The Optimus Nova, traditionally an outstanding stove, has also had some quality control problems and has been subject to a recall.

HJ

#216660 - 02/08/11 03:03 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR WindPro [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
So what your saying is I should keep my old Svea 123's and leave the 123R in the box . . . cool

All I know is the old 123's I got off eBay work just fine as do some of my other older Optimus stoves.

#216666 - 02/08/11 05:58 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR WindPro [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Not exactly. 123R's are OK; you just need to get the ones made in Sweden. The "R" version came out in the early 70's after Optimus bought the rights to the Svea name from AB Max Sievert. For many years the "R" version was produced in Sweden, and those are fine in terms of quality. The newer 123R's, produced in China, are the ones I've seen complaints on.

Now, whether or not the revision Optimus made in the early 70's was a good idea is the subject of some debate. Many people feel that the original 123's (pre "R") are the better stove. Some people will even remove the needle on an "R" version and claim that the stove runs better. I personally prefer the older version.

HJ

#216671 - 02/08/11 07:06 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR WindPro [Re: Hikin_Jim]
LED Offline
Veteran

Is there any hard evidence that the China made Svea's are of lesser quality and reliabitiy than the previous models? Which would also mean they're less safe?? Could part of the complaint factor be that people are aware the stoves are made in China? Only asking cause I think I own one of the recent model Svea123's. Maybe I should look on eBay for an older model?

#216672 - 02/08/11 07:16 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR WindPro [Re: LED]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Will you do a stove-of-the-week on Svea 123 / 123R? I am seriously thinking about trying to find one of the old ones. (But with the additional pump).

#216678 - 02/08/11 07:55 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR WindPro [Re: LED]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LED
Is there any hard evidence that the China made Svea's are of lesser quality and reliabitiy than the previous models? Which would also mean they're less safe?? Could part of the complaint factor be that people are aware the stoves are made in China? Only asking cause I think I own one of the recent model Svea123's. Maybe I should look on eBay for an older model?
Hard evidence? None that I'm aware of. I've just seen a few postings on forums like this one about problems with the Chinese ones and some general comments about apparent lesser quality.

If you have a Svea 123R and it's working, I see no reason for you to replace it unless you just want to have an old 123R for the sake of having an old one. Some people do prefer the non R version as I mentioned, and to get one of those eBay is a good option.

If you do get an old Svea 123R, I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the differences between one of the old ones and the ones sold today.

HJ

#216680 - 02/08/11 08:11 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR WindPro [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Will you do a stove-of-the-week on Svea 123 / 123R? I am seriously thinking about trying to find one of the old ones. (But with the additional pump).
I will be doing a post on the Svea 123. It's a few weeks out yet, maybe mid-March. My plan at this point is to do the 123 and 123R as separate posts, but perhaps it would be helpful to compare and contrast the two.

Regarding the pump: They're nice but not at all necessary. They will boost output, and they will help with starting the stove in cold weather. However, they are generally expensive, and as I say not necessary, even in cold weather. In cold weather, do a double prime, that is prime the stove twice. Note: Do not open the fuel tank between primes. If you open the tank when the stove is hot, you could have a most unpleasant fireball. "Unpleasant" is putting it mildly.

One consideration with the Svea 123/123R is the SRV (safety release valve). If too much pressure builds up in the tank, the SRV could pop, releasing a hot cloud of vaporized air and gasoline. Needless to say, this is an explosive mixture, and it normally bursts into flame. That would be bad. I tend to be conservative in the operation of my Sveas. I keep the flame at moderate levels, and I tend not to use the pump. Like I say, I'm conservative.

As with any stove where the fuel tank is directly attached to the burner, great caution should be taken if a windscreen is employed. If you trap too much heat near the stove, you could have a fiery disaster on your hands. If you do use a windscreen, keep a close watch on the stove. If it starts to sound like a runaway freight train, turn it down. If I employ a windscreen, I leave it open on at least one side, screening only about 2/3rds of the stove. This helps cut wind but allows enough air circulation that the tank doesn't overheat.

Another caution: boiling water is 212F/100C (less at altitude but suffice it to say it's hot). If your pot boils over, you are rapidly applying a lot of heat to a vaporized air and gasoline mix that is under pressure. Letting your pot boil over on a Svea 123/123R could have very severe consequences.

Now, having said all that, there's a reason that the Svea 123 (which was introduced ca. 1954) is still in production today. It's super reliable, and many people swear by it to this day despite the availability of much lighter, more modern stoves. Please don't get the impression that I'm knocking the Svea 123. Actually my view of the Svea 123 is anything but that: it's my personal favorite out of all of my stoves. Just be aware that many of the safety features of modern stoves simply do not exist in the rather Spartan Svea 123. With a Svea 123, you are the safety mechanism. Get it?

HJ

Edited by Hikin_Jim (02/08/11 08:38 PM)
Edit Reason: Add some safety warnings.

#216681 - 02/08/11 08:16 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR WindPro [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Jim, as long as you are taking questions...What are the salient differences between the Svea 123 and the Primus 71? ( I believe there are other clones out there as well).

If I polish the tank of my 71L will it destroy the antique value?

Who will be the big winners a the Academy Awards?

#216682 - 02/08/11 08:28 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR WindPro [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Jim, as long as you are taking questions...What are the salient differences between the Svea 123 and the Primus 71? ( I believe there are other clones out there as well).

If I polish the tank of my 71L will it destroy the antique value?

Who will be the big winners a the Academy Awards?
Interesting question. The Primus 71, the Optimus 8R, 80, and 99, and the Svea 123/123R are all close cousins. Many parts are interchangeable depending on who made the stove when. The Optimus 199 is also in that family but is a little different. There are also some other manufacturers like Radius that made stoves in that class.

I have a 71L, it was my uncle's, and it was what propelled me into collecting stoves. The stove itself is a very good stove. The box/case is not quite so nice. It's a rather thin tinned steel and quite prone to rust. I think the Svea 123's brass windscreen is a much better deal. I also think the Svea 123's brass windscreen in combination with the aluminum cup make the Svea 123 more durable and more packable. I'm always a little afraid of bending up the 71L's case in my pack. On the other hand, IIRC, the 71's tank is bigger which can be of benefit on some trips.

In short: They're comparable stoves. They're both very good stoves. I prefer the 123. YMMV. smile

I don't think that you would hurt the antique value of the stove if you polished the brass, provided that you don't do something destructive like "polish" it with a wire wheel. Using citric acid, brasso, etc. should be fine. Anything that might degrade the engraving would definitely decrease the value of the stove.

Who will win the Academy Awards? I predict a movie will win Best Picture, an actor will win Best Actor, and a director will win Best Director. You heard it here first. wink lol

HJ

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.