Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#216335 - 02/03/11 01:01 PM Re: Chicago Blizzard pic [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
in the second photo whats with all the windshield wipers?the ones on the drivers side seem to be all standing up.

I see a lot of people doing the same thing with their wipers when they expect to leave the car out in snow and ice. Apparently the theory is that the wipers will not freeze to the window/become encased in ice, and later it is easier to clean the windows and not have wipers that have been damaged by digging them out of the ice. But usually they do both wipers. . .?

#216336 - 02/03/11 01:12 PM Re: Chicago Blizzard pic [Re: bws48]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: bws48
in the second photo whats with all the windshield wipers?the ones on the drivers side seem to be all standing up.

I see a lot of people doing the same thing with their wipers when they expect to leave the car out in snow and ice. Apparently the theory is that the wipers will not freeze to the window/become encased in ice, and later it is easier to clean the windows and not have wipers that have been damaged by digging them out of the ice. But usually they do both wipers. . .?

Just saw a news report that said the wiper up means the car is ready to be towed away.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#216348 - 02/03/11 06:20 PM Re: Chicago Blizzard pic [Re: GarlyDog]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
When I'm expecting snow, I always put the wipers up on the car. It makes it MUCH easier to clean the windshield.

When I'm parking for the night and expecting snow, I put the wipers up and lay an old towel across the windshield. If the pager goes off in the middle of the night, I just pull the towel, and all the accumulated snow, off the car, put the wipers down, and go.

It gives me good enough visibility to make it to the firehouse from my house withouot having to mess with a scraper.

#216394 - 02/04/11 01:10 AM Re: Chicago Blizzard pic [Re: ireckon]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"The sitting cars would be towed I guess."

One word: IMPOUND.

A nice little source of income for tow companies.

Sue

#216397 - 02/04/11 01:23 AM Re: Chicago Blizzard pic [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Blast
Just saw a news report that said the wiper up means the car is ready to be towed away.
-Blast

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I looked at the photo and the proportions/angles seemed all wrong. Wondered if someone was messin' with us via Photoshop.

#216409 - 02/04/11 05:21 AM Re: Chicago Blizzard pic [Re: dougwalkabout]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I looked at the photo and the proportions/angles seemed all wrong.

It also seems odd that 95% of the cars are gray, with only a few faded red ones thrown in here and there. And what's with all those jet black side mirrors? Usually side mirrors are the same color as the rest of the paint job, except for on some sports cars and SUV's. I also think the perspective is distorted by the use of a telephoto lens. Normal people just don't go packing their cars together that tightly - unless they're on a ferry crossing a river. It's also odd that the other side of the road is clear of snow and there are no cars, just that one truck in the very upper right corner. I can't put my finger on it, but there are many things here that make me think this picture if faked, or enhanced to make it look worse than it actually is.

#216415 - 02/04/11 11:26 AM Re: Chicago Blizzard pic [Re: bws48]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: bws48

I don't know anything about that particular picture, but I can confirm the "avoid wiper freezing" trick. But that is only nescessary if you've got A THIN layer of wet stuff that is likely to freeze.

This isn't a problem in blizzard-like conditions. Lots of dry snow = no problem with freezing, even if the car window is heated (it cools very quickly). Lots of wet snow = no problem. Even with wet snow, if it starts freezing it will be just a hard crust on top and looser stuff beneath it.

#216416 - 02/04/11 11:34 AM Re: Chicago Blizzard pic [Re: haertig]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: haertig

It also seems odd that 95% of the cars are gray, with only a few faded red ones thrown in here and there. And what's with all those jet black side mirrors? Usually side mirrors are the same color as the rest of the paint job, except for on some sports cars and SUV's. I also think the perspective is distorted by the use of a telephoto lens. Normal people just don't go packing their cars together that tightly - unless they're on a ferry crossing a river. It's also odd that the other side of the road is clear of snow and there are no cars, just that one truck in the very upper right corner. I can't put my finger on it, but there are many things here that make me think this picture if faked, or enhanced to make it look worse than it actually is.

The picture is from the msnbc.com website and there was a similar discussion, however the photo was confirmed as real and untouched, meaning not photo-shopped.

John Lubbock

#216422 - 02/04/11 01:39 PM Re: Chicago Blizzard pic [Re: Teslinhiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
The appearance of unusually-close packing of the cars is just an optical illusion caused by the angle of the picture. The next time you are out driving look where they've painted words like "STOP" on the road. From a distance they look in proportion but as you ride up on the word you'll see it's actually painted in a very stretched-out manner.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#216427 - 02/04/11 03:10 PM Re: Chicago Blizzard pic [Re: GarlyDog]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
survival tip...ok not really--but make sure you turn off your wipers with the switch in freezing rain/snow and just not turn off with the key as you leap out for home.i left mine on and when i used the car again a few day later the wipers turned on when i started the car and being frozen it snapped the hub that is attached to the shaft from the motor.it's bad enough ripping the rubber wiper on a frozen windshield but try finding a hub for a 92 Plymouth,my canoe hauling car that i used for the propane heater try out.i looked all over and a parts store finally tracked down the one of two in the Minnesota area for me.i guess after that i key in on wipers on snowed in cars---

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.