Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#216158 - 02/01/11 04:13 PM Re: Who keeps a POTS around? [Re: Doug_SE_MI]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Doug_SE_MI

Quote:

Its the opposite here. I've used my internet connection to report my power out a couple times and my (POT) phone out dozens of times. So my internet is been the most reliable, gas second, power third and phone last.

What kind of Internet, and backup power, do you have that you have service when the power is out?

I have cable Internet, and UPS, but that won't keep Internet up very long.

cable, ups, laptops.

#216175 - 02/01/11 07:14 PM Re: Who keeps a POTS around? [Re: ajax]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
$50 - WHAT?

My "lifeline" service - bare minimum - is $12.95 a month...
I use it for my alarm system and incoming faxes.

#216183 - 02/01/11 08:18 PM Re: Who keeps a POTS around? [Re: Susan]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Yeah, my POTS bill would be $50 ballpark after they add taxes and whatnot. If I start making calls on it outside of local, the bill could easily be $100+. My POTS is just not worth it for the off chance that POTS may be more reliable, which I don't think it is for my home.

#216187 - 02/01/11 08:38 PM Re: Who keeps a POTS around? [Re: Eugene]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: MarkO
The US really needs a universal service fee to bring broadband to everyone.

Why is that? If you live too far outside of town to get broadband thats the compromise you made when you chose to live where you did, no one else else needs to pay to give you a service you choose to live without.

Substitute telephone for broadband and 1934 for 2011.

We live in an information driven age and not everyone chooses to live in a rural or under populated area. You either grew up there or living in an urban area is out of your financial reach.

Broadband allows anyone to reach out to the world regardless of where you're located. It can, and does, bring jobs to areas whose historical industries don't exist anymore. The city of The Dalles was founded due to its favourable location on the Columbia for shipping fur pelts back East. Today, the fur trade is long gone and Google has a data center there.

#216213 - 02/01/11 11:23 PM Re: Who keeps a POTS around? [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Yea ... why would I want to subsidize the rural customers. I mean this whole newfangled universal mail delivery is stupid. Next thing you know people are going to demand every house have its own telegraph line. That's going to put the small time telegraph operators and messenger boys out of business. Have you no respect for the capitalist free enterprise system?

Sure, most of the western world, outside the US, has universal broadband at low prices but that is just so ... European.

#216226 - 02/02/11 12:34 AM Re: Who keeps a POTS around? [Re: Brangdon]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
I have a POTS, which is pretty much only used by my 10-year-old TiVo that still dials up to get its programme guide.

We have to connect the land line to our pvr to order pay-per-view from our satelite tv service. This is the first time i've realized how stupid that is! LOL!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#216240 - 02/02/11 02:56 AM Re: Who keeps a POTS around? [Re: Susan]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
We had a meeting today at work about POTS. We're predicting in my line of work (alarm industry) that POTS will be 100% gone by the end of 2014. The majority of all new systems sold by my company are either cellular or long-range radio communication.

#216260 - 02/02/11 01:38 PM Re: Who keeps a POTS around? [Re: Susan]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I've heard this prediction from several places, all with different dates. I have my doubts.

But assuming that it did go away, it seems to me that there is a very valuable infrastructure of copper wire going into almost every home in America. Could this be used to provide the "universal broadband" that several folks have mentioned? I don't know how much data that simple copper wire could handle, but I can't see this already installed access point going to waste.

#216263 - 02/02/11 02:14 PM Re: Who keeps a POTS around? [Re: Susan]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The copper "twisted pair" has been used for ADSL broadband for years. The downside is that you can't be more than a mile or so from a node that is serviced by fiber optic cable. So, ADSL via twisted pair is primarily an urban item, with the telcos and cable companies duking it out in high density markets.

Broadband in my part of the world is generally going the way of line-of-sight fixed wireless. Satellite is available too, for more money.

Interestingly, I was able to get by with a fairly slow dial-up until about 2007. (Patch Tuesday was always a pain though.) This was the point at which every website and service seemed to assume broadband, and everything got "fat" with no accommodation for dial-up users.

#216324 - 02/03/11 04:54 AM Re: Who keeps a POTS around? [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I asked this question because a friend was telling me she had some wind damage earlier this winter, and a tree came down on her phone line, ripping it completely loose from her house. The power was already out. Her cell phone had had an unfortunate 'death by toilet' due to a toddler who is big on flushing. She knew her immediate neighbors only had electronic phones, but they did have useful phone jacks.

Sue

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.