Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#216219 - 02/01/11 11:58 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

The sun has been down for almost two hours and my windows are open. Crickets are having at it telling me that it is most of 70F/22C.

Florida boys, being considerate southerners, wishing to share our good fortune, and having a soft spot for people who live where weather is not generally supportive of human life, were trying to help you out by sending as much warm air as we could spare your way. Sounded like a good idea at the time. This weather thing is tricky.

The down side is that the warm moist air from the gulf is dropping its water, in the form of ice and snow, in a band from Texas to NYC. Sorry about that.

#217699 - 02/21/11 11:03 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Thought I would bump this thread.

Spring is slowly arriving here. The picture was taken Saturday afternoon when the temperature was almost 50 F. The snow lines on the mountains is inching higher day by day while lower down in the marshland areas, the vegetation is slowly greening up.

John Lubbock

#217705 - 02/21/11 11:36 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Early signs were equivocal.

It is clearly spring here now. I have a nice flock of robins at the birdbath, the red bud trees are flowering gang-busters, the pines are dropping pollen, it was better than 80F this afternoon, and I saw at least on cutie wearing nothing but a string bikini laying out to catch rays.

Yes, some of you are still digging out from several feet of snow. But spring is coming. In just a month or two it will be above freezing most of the time. Let the good times roll.

#217713 - 02/22/11 12:53 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
At my latitude, the day is increasing in length by more that 2 minutes a day (should be even more up in the Frozen Tundra of Minnesota). The equinox is only a month away. I yearn for long summer days....

#217721 - 02/22/11 02:06 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Guess you guys are gona hate me but I could use a couple more months of winter, I'm just getting good at skiing and could use more practice.

#217814 - 02/22/11 08:35 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: jzmtl]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Guess you guys are gona hate me but I could use a couple more months of winter, I'm just getting good at skiing and could use more practice.

Hate you? No, I don't hate you. Montreal Canada seems like a fine place to be if you want your winters to be a bit longer than average.

I'm actually kind of torn between accepting that there are just some people who like cold weather, different strokes for different folks, and hiring a rescue team that will kick in your door, stuff you into a large canvas bag, haul you south, and systematically deprogram to counter the Stockholm syndrome you are suffering from in relation to the cold weather. It is natural for people who are detained, brutalized, and made helpless by the cold weather to identify with the cold weather, to admire and even to justify the power of the cold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

The later course would be expensive and tough but with gratuitous levels of exposure to semi-nude people, heat, sunshine, and generous helpings of suntan lotion, and hours of Jimmy Buffet and Little Feat I think we will get you deprogrammed ... or at least tanned and relaxed.

I wonder if I could make kidnapping people to semi-tropical locals into a business. You have heard of black helicopters and black-on-black outfits ... we are the well tanned guys in Hawaiian shirts.

#217820 - 02/22/11 09:10 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The best situation is what the Southwest and southern California provide - deserts interspersed with high mountains - what the textbooks call Basin and Range. During the cooler months, if you want winter, just climb up into the mountains. When the snow isn't fun anymore, simply descend to the lowlands.

In Tucson, my old stomping grounds, it is quite possible to ski and play outdoor tennis in the same day, or swim, or golf. In the summer, when you can melt lead on the sidewalks, the nearby heights (up to 9,000 feet) provide a welcome, cool relief.

Right now, the hills of Ventura County are alive with the sounds (and sights) of fresh fallen snow. i went for a pleasant bike ride this morning.

#217836 - 02/23/11 12:07 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: hikermor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The best situation is what the Southwest and southern California provide - deserts interspersed with high mountains - what the textbooks call Basin and Range. During the cooler months, if you want winter, just climb up into the mountains. When the snow isn't fun anymore, simply descend to the lowlands.

In Tucson, my old stomping grounds, it is quite possible to ski and play outdoor tennis in the same day, or swim, or golf. In the summer, when you can melt lead on the sidewalks, the nearby heights (up to 9,000 feet) provide a welcome, cool relief.

Right now, the hills of Ventura County are alive with the sounds (and sights) of fresh fallen snow. i went for a pleasant bike ride this morning.

When I lived in Hawaii we vacationed on the big island, in our opinion, at the time, any other state would be a bit of a letdown, and you could quite literally build a snowman and downhill ski in the morning and surf in the afternoon.

#217882 - 02/23/11 07:03 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Nothing like the taste of mud to let you know the season. Better than three pounds is good eating for two or more Do you eat them or do you catch, fondle/torture, and release?

#217894 - 02/23/11 11:22 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
My asparagus is currently 10" tall, my potato plants have broken through the soil, my onions are going nuts. Woo hoo, it's spring in Houston!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.