Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#216040 - 01/31/11 11:32 AM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Blast]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
There is an entire cottage industry centered around fear-mongering and carefully cultivating, farming, fear, hysteria, outrage, and hate.

True. Climate change hysteria is a perfect example.

-Blast

Attachments
up.png

#216061 - 01/31/11 03:58 PM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: ironraven]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
As for shutting things down... Can you throw one switch and kill the web in the US? No.

Well it depends by what you mean by a kill switch. In the UK there have been instances where large parts of the UK have been without Internet services simply due to theft (some router cards being stolen in Docklands in London) and accidental fire (one in Manchester in an old BT tunnel linking some nuclear shelter bunkers for the secret 'Manchester Guardian' telephone exchange). Superusers can remotely kill the Internet connections for millions of users in the UK by logging on here;

www.btwholesale.com

The US ISPs won't be any different.

The easiest way to cut off millions of customers is just to gain access to the ISP customers billing database.

The fat pipes of any fibre network can be disconnected rather easily with a leatherman tool.

Taking down the internet is actually rather easy.

#216084 - 01/31/11 07:37 PM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: LED]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would take a carry on size backpack, which is preferred mode, even in non-emergencies. In it I would have a change of clothes, an appropriate garment for inclement weather, toiletries, a small versatile FAK, some food and snacks (no cooking), any unique/irreplaceable items, knife (normally Leatherman Wave) and matches if possible, and a filled canteen. As much as possible would be worn on my person or in my vest and coat. This would include EDC items like a small flashlight, whistle, keys. When travelling I usually wear a money belt and cash stashed in various locations. Don't forget the passport.

From the news reports, it is a major hassle getting to the Cairo airport. I would seek guidance from the embassy or trusted friends.

"We'll always have Paris"....

#216096 - 01/31/11 09:55 PM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

True. Climate change hysteria is a perfect example.

Not everyone agrees with that unproven theory (... snip)
http://www.nolanchart.com/article805.html

Perhaps one of the best and most concise summaries of this issue is that issued by the Royal Society:
http://royalsociety.org/climate-change-summary-of-science/

Frankly, it is by far a more boring read than your nolanchart-article. That, on the other hand, is a well written collection of myths, wrongs and misunderstandings, things taken totally out of context and deliberately flawed.

the fraud exposed recently at East Anglia underscores the debate.

Several independent investigations, including media, have gone through all the material of the "climategate" of East Anglia. The result is very boring:

- Some of the conversations (this is private emails being hacked and brought out to the public) show a reluctance toward openly disclosing all available data and a not too flattering way of name-calling people who disagree with you. Not good. Shame on them.

- But those Climategate-emails fails to document or even hint of any scientific fraud. Don't you think the media would be all over it they could find any such evidence or even the slightest hint of it?

What's important is to personally prepare for climate change, and not cowtow to opportunistic and manipulative politicians who seek only money and power.

A good point. One could also argue the ideal to make optimum use of the political instruments at hand to push the world in the direction you want it to move.

Unfortunately, our political instruments available seems sorely inadequate to deal with issues such as anthropogenic global warming. But to further elaborate on that quickly becomes all to political for this forum, I think...

#216097 - 01/31/11 10:04 PM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: MostlyHarmless]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

the fraud exposed recently at East Anglia underscores the debate.

Several independent investigations, including media, have gone through all the material of the "climategate" of East Anglia. The result is very boring:

- Some of the conversations (this is private emails being hacked and brought out to the public) show a reluctance toward openly disclosing all available data and a not too flattering way of name-calling people who disagree with you. Not good. Shame on them.

- But those Climategate-emails fails to document or even hint of any scientific fraud. Don't you think the media would be all over it they could find any such evidence or even the slightest hint of it?

That was certainly my read on it; that the fundamental data was correct.

A scientist who participates on another board I follow said this on the subject of climate change and I paraphrase, "climates do indeed change over millennia from hotter to colder but it's the rate of change that we're experiencing that's not normal and has serious implications".

#216103 - 01/31/11 11:12 PM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: MarkO]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Take my further silence on the subject as not caring enough to continue rather than not having the ammo to argue.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#216110 - 02/01/11 01:00 AM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Blast]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Take my further silence on the subject as not caring enough to continue rather than not having the ammo to argue.

-Blast

Lifting a glass to Blast, ever the voice of reason! It started off as a great disussion....

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#216120 - 02/01/11 02:17 AM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

Noticed today some gas stations here set the prices up .03 cents per L today. That does not seem like much but it is roughly 13 cents per gallon...

John Lubbock

#216137 - 02/01/11 07:19 AM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: hikermor]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would take a carry on size backpack, which is preferred mode, even in non-emergencies. In it I would have a change of clothes, an appropriate garment for inclement weather, toiletries, a small versatile FAK, some food and snacks (no cooking), any unique/irreplaceable items, knife (normally Leatherman Wave) and matches if possible, and a filled canteen. As much as possible would be worn on my person or in my vest and coat. This would include EDC items like a small flashlight, whistle, keys. When travelling I usually wear a money belt and cash stashed in various locations. Don't forget the passport.

From the news reports, it is a major hassle getting to the Cairo airport. I would seek guidance from the embassy or trusted friends.

"We'll always have Paris"....

The state dept. should have let you send out the travel alert, lol. From CNN today. Emphasis mine. Another good reason to always have some extra bottled water and non-perishable snacks in your hotel room.

Quote:

The State Department told Americans on Monday that they should bring food, water and other necessities -- including patience -- to the airport if they hope to catch a flight.

"People should be prepared for a very long wait," said Janice Jacobs, the U.S. assistant secretary of state for consular affairs.

Thats if they can make there. And many photos released today show tourists walking to the airport, wheeled luggage in tow. Easy to spot because of the bright colors. Another reason neutral colors are a good idea, you don't stand out like a sore thumb. In this situation I'd toss some clothes and fill the wheeled luggage with a few gallons of water. Makeshift cart.

#216148 - 02/01/11 12:49 PM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Blast]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
The issues more relevant to what's happening in the Middle East: the U.S. Fed's quantitative easing and ethanol. Food inflation is presently running at a 17% clip in Egypt. Poorer people spend a lot higher percentage of income on food. Hungry people get angry and bold.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41317235/Egypt_Unrest_Was_Sparked_by_Food_Inflation

Egypt's situation was compounded when Russia banned wheat exports:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b4e0e53c-b453-11df-8208-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1CiabyJC4

If the U.S. starts experiencing food inflation on this scale, Americans are going to get a heck of a lot more cranky than in the past two years. And Americans spend only about 10% of income per capita on food.

Fill up your freezer.

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.