Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#216043 - 01/31/11 11:39 AM Re: CR123 Conversion for PRC-90 [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

I advise you to watch out for silver-tongued devils like this one.
wink

In the interests of accuracy and full disclosure,, I must state that whatever silver might have been resident in my tongue has long since migrated to my hair....

LOL!!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#216098 - 01/31/11 10:06 PM Re: Question about emergency beacons [Re: bacpacjac]
Ann Offline

Loc: Western Washington
Originally Posted By: comms
Anyway, I have never seen a dedicated PLB act as a I'm Okay function using the test sequence. Interesting but honestly I think its trying to make something into something it is not. I mean, we do that all the time but somehow to me it feels weird using a test function as a communication function.

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
There's lots to consider but I agree, I don't want to use it in a way it's not intended for because it leaves more margin for error.

Of course there are pros and cons to each method chosen, and everyone should use what they are most comfortable with after reviewing the facts, but that being said I think I may have done a poor job presenting the information. Allow me to attempt again.

As I understand it there are different ways of self-testing a PLB. The most basic way is you push the self-test button, the PLB lights up, and you're confident that it still works. A more advanced kind is a through-satelite self test, where a signal is actually transmitted. According to the website:

Quote:
Normal Cospas-Sarsat Ground Stations ignore Self Test messages, but the SafeLife Systems ground receiving stations have been specially adapted to receive these Self Test messages so that we can provide you with this ultimate level of confidence in the operation of your beacon in an emergency.

So the signal goes from PLB to satelite to Safelife receiving station, which, if you have signed up for the service, with then send you an email informing you that the signal was received. This is all part of ACR's PLB "self test" function.

If your PLB is already sending a benign signal, and you're getting an email or text message informing you when the signal is received, why not extend that service just a little farther to have it sent to the email(s) of your choice, with the pre-programmed message of your choice?

I guess what I'm saying is that through-satelite self-testing, as opposed to a basic self-test, is already a communication function--you're simply communicating with empty air. 406 link is merely a way to connect that communication to a recipient.

But hey, I'm not an expert or anything. smile No affiliation.

#216099 - 01/31/11 10:21 PM Re: Question about emergency beacons [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

thanks ann. that sounds like a good idea!

the more i learn, i realize how little i know. i just wish i had the money to test it all out!

#216890 - 02/11/11 08:08 PM Re: Question about emergency beacons [Re: bacpacjac]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA

#222236 - 04/25/11 12:16 AM Re: Question about emergency beacons [Re: bacpacjac]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA

#222238 - 04/25/11 12:28 AM Re: Question about emergency beacons [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another vote in favour if carrying one, especially innremote locations.

#222260 - 04/25/11 01:34 PM Re: Question about emergency beacons [Re: Famdoc]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Famdoc

Actually, given the "Texas" mention, I suspect it was a SPOT save, not a PLB. Regardless, a win for satellite distress alerting
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#222263 - 04/25/11 01:45 PM Re: Question about emergency beacons [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
That would be SPOT correct? I believe their response center is located in Texas. Whatever company made or manages the PLB, good job.

#222335 - 04/26/11 04:27 PM Re: Question about emergency beacons [Re: bacpacjac]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I'm not sure what type of beacon was attached to the kid at your school. The SPOT devices don't have a loud audible alarm.

I can see an argument both ways. If you are truly remote, you need a satellite-based locater with GPS. But it doesn't hurt to also have a device that makes really loud sounds ... like one of those 130-dB horns. Some people carry them to fotball games, and stuff like that. It would helpful for guiding a rescue team when they get close.

cheers,
Pete #2

Edited by Pete (04/26/11 04:28 PM)

#222341 - 04/26/11 06:13 PM Re: Question about emergency beacons [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Or simply use the whistle that should be somewhere on you. Whistles work extremely well, often at surprising distances and are quite distinctive. I tend to associate the loud air horn with drunken football fans.

That nice fire you have built also aids rescuers. It is both visible, both flame and smoke, and can be smelled at a distance as well. Just don't build a fire in dry conditions..

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.